Blackbird Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peggy Styer

1. "Great Company"

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

May require long hours but still good work life balance

2. "Smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Instructor/Financial Service Representative in Clarksville, TN

I worked at Blackbird Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a great atmosphere to work with good compensation until.....

Cons

President lied about status of company and less than a year later company was sold for 420 million....and downsizing commenced.....

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees at all times so they can plan accordingly for their benefit instead of betraying them at the last minute

"Don't trust their promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Blackbird Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees, decent benefit structure and options for working remotely when needed. There are opportunities to be compensated or reimbursed by the company when pursuing professional certifications and training.

Cons

Small company means that contract losses affect the company more heavily than larger contractors. Promises were made during the hiring/on-boarding process that were not kept which ultimately lead to my departure. Often expected to work 50+ hour work weeks without additional compensation

Advice to Management

Don't make promises to new hires that are not intended to be kept. Also let potential employees know that a standard work week is closer to 50 hours than 40 so that salary can be properly negotiated.

5. "Would not recommend to my worst enemy"

Pros

When you first join the company, it looks to be a great place to work. Everyone is very nice, helpful, etc. Their building in Herndon is very nice, and there is a gym, and the kitchens are stocked with snacks and fresh food.

Cons

Don't believe their helpful actions as they are very misleading. The environment is extremely cliquey and at times, can feel like a hostile work environment. If a colleague in your department doesn't like you, consider yourself already on the chopping block. There is a lot of stress and drama.

Advice to Management

Long term employees will say anything, and Sr. Management will believe it. New employees with a fresh perspective, or ideas will be heard, but no actions will ever take place. You need a whole new HR department, or the "good old boy" mentality will continue dragging you down.

"Manager"

I worked at Blackbird Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a lot of potential but frankly they are run by a bunch of SOF guys who are great operators but know little about business or running a company.

Cons

They only hire former SOF members or people directly referred by the COR. Really need to learn to be more independent of the COR and hire people based on their skills, ability to do the job and not because they are a personal friend. Their HR department and management also needs to learn how to handle proper HR complaints. One employee was kicked off his assigned base for sexual harassment so the company fired another employee and moved the accused guy to the base of the guy they fired. Management and HR are completely ignorant and corrupt.

Advice to Management

Move away from nepotism and the good ole boy network, you have great potential but you need to get some business savvy people in the company and learn to diversify.

"HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Blackbird Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blackbird offers a good work environment, resonable income, and you don't really have to work overtime except for certain projects

Cons

I did not like the ethical quality of the company. I believe that the HR department should be a safe and confidential places for employees to be able to come to. That however was not the case here.

Advice to Management

I would work on company ethics, and also trying to stay away from the high school drama level.

"Benefits Administrator"

I worked at Blackbird Technologies full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits were great. Always work to be done.

Cons

there is more gossip than work that usually gets done.

"I would not recommend working for this company."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Blackbird Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really can not think of anything really positive about my experience working for them. Challenging projects? Is that really something commendable? They paid me money.

Cons

They paid me lower than average for the area. I followed up with another job that paid better.
    . I worked there for many years and will never want to work there again nor recommend it.

10. "FSR"

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Blackbird Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great people and environment

Cons

Gov contracting, not long term stable

Advice to Management

Find ways to challenge your employees

11. "Good place for those interested in the small business workplace."

Former Employee - Information Technology in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Herndon, VA

Pros

Small business with some large business activity. Decent benefits package. Most employees are friendly and easy to work with. The company is less than 400, so there are some personalities to navigate. Not as much red tape or micromanagement as a very large organization.

Cons

Some employees still are holding on to the small business mentality, even though the company is growing. Occasionally different sets of rules for the employees with seniority.

Advice to Management

Willingness to take a risk or to spend a little money in order to be proactive would go a long way towards efficiency and prevent problems in the long run.