Blackboard Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 4, 2019

Found 7 reviews

3.6
Seraina Macia

"Fast with a lot of learning"

I have been working at Blackboard Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

- I enjoy the people I work with everyday - Fast but rarely feel stressed or pressured, as long as job is complete I'm able to come and go as I please - Unlimited PTO that's actually used - Opportunity for learning and growth, lots of it especially since the team and company is still young

Cons

- With any organization, especially one that's in a new industry with high expectations, there can be a lot of shifting/moving parts and it's difficult to know all of them

Blackboard Insurance2019-05-13

"Unknowledgeable and antiquated"

Former Employee - Contractor in Remote, OR

I worked at Blackboard Insurance for more than a year

Pros

Remote work is available and the company has the right idea of changing the insurance business. The culture is good and a lot of people are dedicated to moving the needle forward.

Cons

This company is made up of a lot of people from the parent company. They brought their culture with them and are the biggest obstacle. There are many problems always for everyone in the company with equipment and security.

Advice to Management

Hire people from other industries that are forward thinking and get rid of the AIG people as they are only bringing you down. You cannot create a new business with people who are stuck in the past.

Blackboard Insurance2019-06-05

"chaos and disorganization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Blackboard Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible work arrangements, unlimited time off, free snacks

Cons

executives and department leads are unfamiliar with current marketplace dynamics and products. lack of communication often creates chaos. career development is non-existent.

Blackboard Insurance2019-04-29
  4. "A truly fantastic place to grow and learn"

I have been working at Blackboard Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The biggest pro is that Blackboard has so much yet to accomplish. As someone who knows the industry, I know how different this experiment of ours actually is. The people are committed and ambitious, and the potential for success because of those people is second to none. And like any startup of this size, there will be times where the ambition seems too tall to overcome and too ambitious to tackle. But unlike other...

Cons

Every company has a con, and I think the one here is that there might be a bit too much emphasis on a lateral and flat organizational chart where some layers might benefit in execution and accountability. But that is a normal problem and we should not be dissuaded by the reality that layers are normal.

Advice to Management

Nothing we do not already openly discuss as an organization.

Blackboard Insurance2019-04-08

"Disorganization, Apathy, Dead-ends and Toxic Culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Blackboard Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

- work from home - gender diverse leadership - work remote - unlimited vacation

Cons

- lack of racially diverse C-level leadership - Mediocre, at best, snack selection... mostly unhealthy options like candy bars, candy bar-like granola bars, and chips... almost all empty carb-heavy and provide no nutrition - Shifting and unpredictable shuffling of people across projects - No sense of satisfaction for the work you did since you're moved around from project to project - No ability for you to get comfortable...

Blackboard Insurance2019-05-08

"All positives!"

I have been working at Blackboard Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Blackboard has a great culture and a very hardworking team! + Leadership has a clear vision and the focus allows the team to accomplish a lot + The mindset and initiatives/projects are all extremely innovative

Cons

No cons, but a quick caveat: - Less structured career path options, however, there is a ton of opportunity to create your own path and contribute in different ways. Be ready to take initiative.

Advice to Management

Maintain the same great culture even as the team grows

Blackboard Insurance2019-01-24

"Wonderful Learning Experience, Great Culture"

I have been working at Blackboard Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to learn every aspect of the insurance business from underwriting to claims, to technology. A great team to work with, all of whom are ready and willing to share their knowledge. You set your direction (within reason) and the only limitation to your personal growth is the limitation you set on yourself.

Cons

This isn't a con, but you have to be prepared to work in a fast paced environment, where the only constant is change. It has to be the right fit.

Advice to Management

None. Complete confident in management. If I had to choose something, it would be to celebrate what's working.

Blackboard Insurance2018-09-21