Blackboard Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

schedule your own hours and base pay is good.

Cons

quotas are arbitrary. Not based on facts. Poor executive leadership. Too many IBM executives the company.

"Client support specialist"

Pros

The people are ok. The office is in a nice location. There is air conditioning. Lots of space in office.

Cons

Most of it. The pay is grossly over estimated on this site. More like half of what is promoted here. No room for advancemnet despite being told there is plenty when being on-boarded. Client facing 100 percent of the time. You have to do all of the tasks the program managers don't like to do. Salaried employees spend about 24 hrs a week in office. Salaried employees spend about an hour at lunch and also leave early on a daily basis. Working from home is an inside joke for taking the day off and not using PTO.

The list goes on and on.

Advice to Management

Do better. Or just use temps because your employee retention is just horrible.

3. "Enrollment Coach"

I worked at Blackboard full-time

Pros

Benefits - My team - Hours

Cons

Terrible place to work - No structure

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, KY

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great group of people to work with in the contact centers. They are very smart, energetic, they care about the success of the company, and the organization promotes from within.

Cons

Salary is terrible. Advisor level pay is barely market competitive, and if you factor in the extend of the job, it's not competitive at all. Leadership to management pay is about 15,000 below market in the region. In addition, corporate does not have an understanding of the depth of the role. This causes frustrations with clients and frustrations as we launch new sites off shore.

Advice to Management

Learn the quality of the employees at your contact centers and research more on what market competitive salary would be.

"High Turnover/ Poor Management"

Former Employee - Market Development Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Market Development Specialist in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Product is actually pretty solid; however, they didn't keep up with the open source movement and it caught them off guard.

Cons

Low visibility into corporate direction for satellite offices, terrible treatment of contract employees, and horrendous change management practices lead to a very poor experience.

This was my first job out of college and at the time Blackboard was taking advantage of the poor job market by bringing people on as contractors and keeping them on contractor status indefinitely while constantly leading them on. I eventually went full time, and survived 4 rounds of layoffs while I was there. I wound up getting caught up in a 5th round. Both myself and a teammate were laid off over the phone by the CMO in a 2 min phone call while we were sitting in the middle of our open office. Can't make this stuff up.

Advice to Management

Increase visibility all around. This would lead to a clearer picture of where the company is going/ individual contribution potential and lead to raised morale.

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackboard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely NONE. Perhaps the location, but not even because as employees, we are not dignified to have our own space. We are cramped, sharing offices (yes, the VPs of certain departments share office space with others).

Cons

The worst. The absolute worst job I have ever had. Blackboard's Human Resources has no respect towards its employees. Middle management is just that, a bunch of paper-pushers with no creativity whatsoever. In order to save money, we were moved from a spacious office to a call center with shared desks and limited seating. They promised us rooms where we could go in and make personal calls or be away from noise...there were only two tiny interview rooms that were reserved at all times. Literally an Indian call center with people stealing each other's chairs and smelling each other's lunches. We had our ex CEO leave because Blackboard is becoming irrelevant and there is a really high turnover. Stay away.

Advice to Management

There is really nothing they can do at this point to improve Blackboard. The pay is low in comparison to its peers, the amenities are sub-par and HR is a total disgrace.

"Poor Management and Lack Of Professionalism"

Current Employee - Customer Support Agent in Somerset, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Support Agent in Somerset, KY

I have been working at Blackboard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible attendance policy.
    Good starting pay relative to other area employment opportunities.
    Easy to get hired.
    Great co-workers.

Cons

Terrible management and general incompetence.
    Absolute lack of professionalism.
    Lack of communication between local supervisors and corporate.
    Broken communication chain.
    Constantly changing quality guidelines.
    Stressful environment.
    Very little chance to advance.
    No pay increases for years worked. 5 years in? You make the same as a new hire.
    Currently actively trying to sell, and moving overseas.

Advice to Management

Leave.

8. "A company mission at odds with good education"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackboard full-time

Pros

A few bright people; some who genuinely understand education.

Cons

The essential drivers of a profit making company owned by a hedge fund are at odds with quality and diversity in education. Aforementioned bright people fall into two camps. First, those from the sector, mainly HE. Secondly, the generic corporate types with little experience of sector and no allegiance to its ideals. Those meant to lead are, therefore, often either conflicted (but ultimately compliant) about preying on their former colleagues and students, or are suits simply seeing education sector as a meal ticket. The rest of the place is padded out by decent enough folks, but who simply don't know anything about the world of education they are supposed to support. It's unsustainable as a culture and, frankly, not beneficial to the world of education. What Blackboard sees when it 'Reimagines Education' is total market dominance with students and staff trained to use and understand only their tools. Blackboard claims to be pedagogically neutral, but throw in a questionable partnership record with dubious profit making education 'providers' who bring the corporate-approved, market-driven curriculums and the picture is a homogenized and sanitized learning space for the next generation of loan fodder.

Advice to Management

Go back to school. Stop drinking your own Kool Aid.

Blackboard Response

Jul 25, 2016 – Sr. Dir, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about how we are approaching the many challenges that face the education industry today. We are pleased to employ numerous educators, with real experience, who... More

"Sinking ship"

I have been working at Blackboard full-time

Pros

There are still some bright people left.

Cons

Massive brain drain and lack of leadership direction have driven this company into the ground.

Advice to Management

Your strategy needs rethinking.

Blackboard Response

Jul 26, 2016 – Sr. Dir, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on our talented, bright employees and we’re glad you agree. With the rapid evolution within the education industry, Blackboard has had to evolve to meet... More

"The WORST company I've ever dealt with."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

It's easy. Extremely easy. That's all the pros.

Cons

The point system is ridiculous. Get points for being on your death bed.

Management is unbelievable. Every last one of them. Still trying to figure out why they call them management.

Pay checks get messed up DAILY.

You never have access to anything like checking hours, or your pay stubs.

Overall, just can't believe this place is still functioning.

Advice to Management

A WHOLE NEW CREW NEEDS TO BE HIRED. All of the so called "management" needs to be let go including the person who is supposed to run the entire floor. I wish I could give this company 0 stars.