Blackhawk Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Blackhawk Network Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • People, culture, work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The work environment at Blackhawk Network is good, especially in Risk Management (in 11 reviews)

"Procurement Analyst III"

Current Employee - Procurement Analyst III in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Procurement Analyst III in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work environment, Flexible schedule, People are friendly, business casual dress code

Cons

lack of process, roles not clearly defined

Advice to Management

establish better processes and improve systems to automate accounting and purchasing tasks

2. "Depressing and frustrating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Near BART, beats commuting to SF/SJ if you live in the area.
    Some departments like marketing and HR seem more tolerable than anything business or tech related.

Cons

Disorganized. Management is always backstabbing each other and other teams. Dirty working conditions with aggravating open seating. The harder you work, the more they dump on you until you can't get anything done.

Advice to Management

Stop writing so many obviously fake five star reviews on Glassdoor.

"Think Twice"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little. Engineers are treated as replaceable components. Was told we need a good Indian outsourcing firm.

Cons

Weak technology management who's strength is managing up. Unrealistic schedules. No RSUs or bonus program for most engineers. Coin operated upper management. Lack of integrity is astounding.

Advice to Management

Package it up and sell it while you can.

5. "Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wahiawä, HI
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wahiawä, HI

I have been working at Blackhawk Network part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, you can make your own hours. Great management, pay is good, great car allowance. Company provides excellent training and support system. They also provide all the tools needed in the field.

Cons

Job is only part-time, hourly pay is good but could be higher for this area.

"Not recommended"

I worked at Blackhawk Network full-time

Pros

Covered parking. Collaborative dev and qa teams that feel like family. Good location.

Cons

Salaries are meh. Leadership is meh.

Advice to Management

Can't say.

"Very salesy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people, great sales pitches, relaxed culture

Cons

Its a sales company...great if you don't have to deal with realities.
    Huge disconnect between the realities of the worker bees and above the director level spin artists.
    The internal infrastructure is awful. Zero training, poor tools, and poor pay.
    The BHN beliefs are the exception, not the rule. Upper management is not real, not accountable, not innovative...

Advice to Management

Implement strategy & vision that flows through the ranks and keeps internal teams operating cooperatively, rather than politically.
    Hold upper management to the vision/strategy as well as bhn belief standards. Implement upward reviews as a check.
    Focus on building sustainably, rather than always just getting the job done. Years and years of patchwork needs to be addressed (change before you're forced to).
    Much like any sales pitch, it's dangerous and unsustainable to promise the stars and moon, then deliver Jersey...this goes externally and internally - don't continue to push away top talent by not being real, accountable, and innovative.

"Narcissistic Manager + Nepotism = Toxic Work Environment"

I worked at Blackhawk Network full-time

Pros

Try to write but none really

Cons

Narcissistic Managers who play nepotism and create toxic environment. With all the reviews mentioned about management but HR is still not taking any actions. Is this b/c HR doesn't know or HR just ignores it? what is BHN culture? Is this the culture you want to promote? HR, please get off your high horse and do something, BHN has great products, you just need to fix your management problem and your staff will perform 10 times better

Advice to Management

Make HR taking actions and fixes this toxic environment on the 4 floor. Trains the trainable and fires the ones are not trainable.

"Horrible management, horrible people"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Addison, TX

I worked at Blackhawk Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job with easy tasks for a self starter. If you're not a self starter, you won't excel here.

Cons

Too many chiefs not enough indians.
    Not removing/replacing management once a part of an acquired company
    Developers sit in their offices with lights off and doors shut
    Atmosphere not condusive to team building or personal growth

Advice to Management

Get rid of all management that were products of acquisitions and get those developers out of the dark. Weird people.

"Odd mix of good and bad"

I have been working at Blackhawk Network full-time

Pros

Co-workers here are pretty great, everyone in my department seems more than willing to help anyone who needs it.

Pay isn't great, but the benefits offered seem to make up for it in a small way.

Everyone on the lower end management I deal with day to day is friendly and well-meaning.

Cons

Very minimal inter-department interaction, I'm expected to stick to my department and only communicate with other departments via a very shallow ticketing system.

Additionally, it seems we purchase a new business every week, causing confusion and unnecessary stress. Because of this, work feels as if it has no stability week to week.

A lack of communication from upper levels to us at the bottom regarding these changes is a real headache as well. Finding out days later how we're supposed to solve an issue we have today makes us look unprofessional and incompetent.

Unrelated to the previous points, from my admittedly limited experience with the company, growth doesn't seem to mean much in this company. Despite them touting this idea that they like to hire from within the company, a lot of people in my department have been there for some time.

Advice to Management

Communication from top to bottom is desperately lacking. If we were aware of the changes coming to the company I feel we would be much better prepared.

Allowing us at our lower level to communicate with people in upper departments would allow us to avoid certain specific problems I've noticed, like certain tickets for serious issues going ignored and unnoticed for several weeks .

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Blackhawk Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers and company activities.

Cons

Management needs training. There is so much going on and people are getting away with so much. HR is overrated. Too many people in HR and nothing gets accomplished. Lunch once a week is brought in for them and yet, you have to cut back in other areas. Go figure. Too many acquisitions and as a result, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee. Look at your areas and see what is truly going on.
    Seek some training and manage your team. Empower them. Promote from within and allow opportunities in other areas.