Blake Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Clinical Manager"

Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Blake Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, wonderful physicians and coworkers, good orientation, always trying to be on the cutting edge of new processes, procedures, and online Electronic Health Record.

Cons

Need better communication and staffing....trys to keep under the budget/numbers versus simply trying to meet the monthly numbers.

Advice to Management

Include middle management in the vision and reasons for decisions made, so they can better handle topics with patient care staff.

2. "Amazing people trapped in a terrible place."

Current Employee - RN - Operating Room in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - RN - Operating Room in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Blake Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-The team is phenomenal. A true family.
    -Best anesthesia I've ever worked with.
    -A handful of the surgeons (Dr. Pennebacker. The Valadie brothers, and Dr. Phillips to name a few) are absolute delights to work with!

Cons

-Terrible pay and no chance of bonuses.
    -Understaffed in ALL nursing departments all over the hospital.
    -if you're on call just expect to be there all 16 hours that day.
    -Weekends were for emergencies, but now they're just another day to work because administration can't say no.
    -CONSTANTLY out of supplies. Can't even stock blankets. (I've had to use fitted sheets to keep my patients warm)
    -Won't hire people for an overwhelmingly understaffed sterile processing department so always having to flash instruments and trays just to get through the day.

This was a nice, small town hospital whose Administration wanted to make a lot more money so they picked up trauma and burns and haven't supplied anybody with the means to succeed with such additions. Most people I've talked with are looking elsewhere for a job. Truly sad to see what has happened.

Advice to Management

Hire more permanent people and try to be competitive with your salary or you're going to lose your family! Executives should come down and see how things are actually going so that maybe instead of redoing one of the the Doctor's Lounges with new coffee machines and new computers, they could use that money to buy us needed supplies for the crazy amount of surgical procedures we're scheduled to perform and new instruments to replace the many, many instruments missing in all of our trays!!!

3. "Blake medical center Bradenton ,Florida . case management department provides great medical environment"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Blake Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blake medical center truly a great hospital to work
    case management department very unique. a great group of professionals working together for best patient outcomes. awesome support from senior management.

Cons

no negative comments
    Blake is a great medical institution providing the best
    healthcare and putting the patients needs first.
    management provides open door policy always available to assist

5. "rn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Blake Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

great inner staff relationships staff tries to provide best pt care possible

Cons

not well organized poor staffing

Advice to Management

better management/charge nurse relationships with staff decreased favoritism

"Great place to work-Rehab Services-PT/OT/SLP"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Blake Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large supportive department, opportunities to work in a variety of areas: Acute Care, Inpatient Rehab, Outpatient, and Pediatrics. Multiple specialty areas include Stroke, Brain Injury, Trauma, Burn, Hand Clinic, and Joint Care Center, to name a few.

Cons

Therapists rotate weekend coverage, average 1 time per month.
    Bradenton is seasonal, summers are slower while winters are busier. Seasonal staffing/contract labor used in season to assist with increased census. Overtime permitted, but not required.

Advice to Management

Increase visibility on a daily basis. Upgrade or update electronic medical record, I.e. Meditech to make it more user friendly. Increase office and storage space for supplies. Improve cafeteria.

7. "nurse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Blake Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

there are no pros to this

Cons

Understaffed doesn't even begin to describe the conditions

"How many managers does it really take to manage a hospital"

Pros

The staff works very hard, however, since they are usually understaffed, it is completely necessary. If it weren't for some of the wonderful, kind people that actually work there, they would have a very hard time retaining much of the staff.

Cons

Management is compensated far better than the staff with direct patient care. This includes physicians, nurses, indirect/direct patient caregivers. They are very heavy with management positions, yet understaff areas that involve direct patient care. Have never worked in a facility that employs so many "managers", that aren't in any way involved in the actual care of patients.

Advice to Management

Perhaps less management, and more focus on actually compensating those involved with patient care. Very sad when managers ( whose jobs aren't easily defined), have less education then the physicians, Physician Assistants, and Nurse Practitioners , yet they are compensated more. Might be a case of knowing the right people. It would be easier to recruit quality staff if they were compensated accordingly.

"RN"

I have been working at Blake Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The staff. I've worked there 10 years so there's a comfort level I have after being there so long.

Cons

The company is greedy. There's no limit to patient-staff ratios. Not enough staff. Unsafe practices. Staff feel like administration do not care.

Advice to Management

Have incentives for new hires. Better patient ratios. Be loyal to your employees.

"RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Blake Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice friendly co-workers for the most part, they have a good volunteer corp so you aren't doing a lot of things you have to do in smaller hospitals, like run to lab, DC patients etc.

Cons

Definitely understaffed, management is all about the budget, which I know isn't uncommon, a few shifts I really felt unsafe with the nurse:paient ratio., the cafeteria food is nasty.

Advice to Management

You can prevent turnover by making the job more doable for the staff.

11. "RN"

Pros

Job Stability
    Great Co workers
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Pay scale is lower then other area hospitals