Blarney Castle Oil and Propane Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Main Office Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Onekama, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Onekama, MI

I worked at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid, Established, Economically sound Business, continued growth. Owners are" hands on".

Cons

Wages are not high enough for the work expected and compared to similar jobs. Vacation time is also lean. Difficult to get time off and being a family business, there are run a bit different than a public company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well and you will get more work and production and a better work environment!

2. "Deli manager"

Current Employee - Deli Manager in Cloverville, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Manager in Cloverville, MI

I have been working at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Works around you life schedule

Cons

Worst pay , treat good hard worker like crap

Advice to Management

Treat people like you want to be treated

3. "Horrible Company to work for"

Former Employee - CSA in Harbor Springs, MI
    Former Employee - CSA in Harbor Springs, MI

I worked at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You might have some nice co-workers if you are lucky otherwise guess the only pro is you get your paycheck regularly.

Cons

Managers who say whatever they think you want to hear and never follow through with what they say. Conveniently "forget" they said you could have time off even though you filled out the required request. Have had to miss out on kids activities because of it. Allows favorite employees to dictate when others will be working because they refuse to work nights. Expect you to come in on your days off if they have screwed up the schedule. Constantly threatens to write you up for imaginary complaints and refuse to watch security tapes to see the truth.

Advice to Management

Stop buying more and more stores and start listening to and paying your current good employees a wage they can at least live on. Get rid of lazy ones instead of letting them get away with not working because their noses are so far up your but they can't breathe.

"Upper management has no experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Pros

None. There are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

Some of the area managers take personal offense when they're not invited to a private meeting. They then turn around and make working for this company a hostile environment, forcing people to quit or be continuously written up in an effort to soothe their bruised ego and inability to do their job properly. Add that into the fact that these managers then dredge up errors that occurred several months ago during training phases, then have no advice as to how to correct the issue if it in fact still exists, plus the lack of training on their own end constitutes poor work ethic and treating everyone as if they are lesser beings. One manager in particular has been doing this for months yet the company as a whole refuses to act on her inability to do what is best for the company by allowing a high turnover rate, causing the company several thousands of dollars to be spent to replace the people that quit. This has all occurred in the upper peninsula for a period of at least a year, and we are just recently the store that has been targeted on her rampage. The "benefits" package is also a joke. Health insurance for a family of six would cost me over $200/week. The pay rate alone won't allow for me to be interested in their insurance. Earning $9.60/hour as an assistant manager isn't worth the headaches and hoops that this company makes us jump through in order to get a paycheck. My store manager alone hasn't had a pay raise in over 4 YEARS! Yet they continue to insist that they are a family oriented store. Managers are required to do clopens- once a week they are expected to open their store at 6 a.m. and stay until the store closes between 10-11 p.m., depending on what their hours are. These people are not compensated for their time and then expected to work an additional 4-6 days, 9 hours a day, then get their butts chewed when they take a lunch break as they see fit, because it was "on company time" yet aren't allowed to take a lunch? Since when is this an acceptable practice?

Advice to Management

Fire this manager. She has no clue how to manage in the first place, she had no experience prior to this position in managing anyone. Allowing a hostile work environment to continue over several stores because she won't be reprimanded for her own actions is obscene and unfair to the entirety of the rest of the employees under her watch. The fact that the owners themselves are unaware and their "upper level management" refuses to correct the issue is poor business. Word of mouth can spread very quickly, and I myself have no issues whatsoever in starting a boycott of these stores by our regular customers in an effort to show just how bad these working conditions have become that you no doubt will not take action over. I also have zero problems in asking our customers to file complaints against your company for slave like working conditions. Most of your employees have families to take care of, yet you don't care if all of their time is spent under your thumb, earning you millions of dollars, while you sit back and reap the benefits without ever having to actually work to earn that money yourself.

"No wonder they have such a high turn around of employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harrisville, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harrisville, MI

I worked at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At least you aren't unemployed. Is that a Pro?

Cons

Part time and minimum wage job where they treat you like a slave. Scrubbing toilets, cleaning windows, gas pumps, cooler doors, cappuccino machine and soda/slushy dispenser. Sweeping parking lot, sweeping and mopping the floor and dusting the vents in the ceiling. The daily checklist is endless. You have to complete the checklist for the day in between ringing up customers, filling propane tanks, making the popcorn, refilling coffee pots and restocking cooler which is nearly impossible. When you don't complete everything the manager threatens to write you up. Her advise is "you need to get faster". Meanwhile she sits in her office for 2 hours a day with her husband and child, then goes home.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews. Everyone has the SAME complaint about management, terrible wages, and the ridiculous amount of chores. Start making some changes. Hire better managers or train the ones that you have better. Treat the bottom workers with a little respect instead of thinking so much about the all mighty dollar.

"Love the family feel"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Tustin, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Tustin, MI

Pros

Very good about raises, I loved my particular location because of the small town community feel, flexible schedule, decent pay for the area. Previous manager was wonderful about understanding what shift you liked.

Cons

We had a management change while I was there. New manager will have you 1st shift one day and 3rd the next, hard to live like that. The manager that had retired was way too lenient about certain things and allowed them to continue until someone alerted her boss who took care of it. This was after multiple attempts to speak to her about it. The reason this continued is because B.C. is very loyal to people who have been there a long time, which is nice but leads to inefficiency.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more because their happiness directly effects customer experience.

"Very unconcerned of employee needs and suggestions."

Current Employee - CSA in Norton Shores, MI
    Current Employee - CSA in Norton Shores, MI

I have been working at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NOTHING. besides good people to work with...

Cons

Management make it impossible to get everything done in the time you are given. Even more impossible when you are left alone for 7 hours at a time and every time you try to go get the chore list done, a customer walks in and your are stopped in your tracks. you cannot go to the cleaning and stock the cooler while you are there alone and still be clocked out no later than 15 min after closing.... or you get a write up from management for being there too late... way to much stress for such little pay

"Poor management in Ossineke area"

Former Employee - Subway Customer Service Associate in Ossineke, MI
    Former Employee - Subway Customer Service Associate in Ossineke, MI

I worked at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wages were all right for the area, considering the economic problems and the applicant to job ratio. I didn't mind getting part time hours with the amount of work involved in the job.

Cons

The amount of work involved with maintaining an effective work area and providing effective customer service in a Subway restaurant is NOT a one person job. The manager expects you to be able to run the restaurant all by yourself, no additional help, including being able to get all the cleaning chores done, and if you do not have ALL of the work done, including chores, by the time you are supposed to clock out, they will point them out to you, repeatedly. It doesn't seem to matter what you do right, they will always point out what you do wrong, and even if you are having a tough time getting things done, they will not offer you any constructive criticism. Instead, they will just tell you to "get faster." I would also like to point out the lack of involvement the manager has in training their employees.

If they expect their employees to do things effectively, shouldn't they be the one to show the proper way to get things done and not dump the responsibility on other employees and then drive off? When I worked at the Subway in Ossineke, not once did they do any training with me, I was trained under an employee with more seniority, but anything I did wrong, they, the manager, would not work with me to correct it, but instead belittled me and then told me to "go faster." If you ask me, their style of management is completely obtuse, and what's more, they neglected to tell me that I was not allowed to work over the set amount hours I was given each week, and that I had to be out by a certain time every night after closing. With the amount of work that one person is expected to do and get done, it's nearly impossible to be able to do that consistently, with each day being dependent upon the amount of customer orders!

What's more, a person in a position higher up had said that if I could not get everything done, close the store, and leave by that certain hour, then I may as well not be working there. A statement like that also brings into question what sort of people are working within Blarney Castle's hierarchy if someone managing one of their stores can't seem to maintain employees for very long and goes unchecked. It's probably not surprising that ever since I resigned from my position there, there have been at least ten new hires that have become ten former employees. From what I have observed and heard, the employer, the Ossineke Subway and EZ Mart, is nothing but a revolving door behind which lies a manager who does not know how to manage employees.

Furthermore, I would like to report a more recent incident I heard from a current employee who works there. When customers started complaining about two new employees being slow, she, the employee whom I'm speaking of, decided to talk it over with the manager on how there could be any improvement. In her words, the manager pretty much said "And who was the one who trained them?" The employee whom I heard from was the one training them, and she can stand in agreement about the manager's lack of involvement with training new employees.

To any and all job seekers who see this post and are considering applying for a position at the Ossineke EZ Mart or Subway, please keep in mind all that I have said before you drop in with an application. Personally, I would not recommend that you apply here. You would be saving yourself a lot of stress and anxiety issues in the future, but if you think you can handle working here and desperately need a job, I cannot say that I didn't warn you.

Advice to Management

If customer service is a top priority, then satisfied employees should be up there too. It doesn't reflect very well on the company that their business has such a high turnover rate. My suggestion is that at the very least the manager be educated in a different style of management, one that involves encouraging the employees rather than belittling them.

9. "Good people, low pay"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Technician in Bear Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Technician in Bear Lake, MI

I worked at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, friendly, wholesome, good benefits

Cons

Low pay, no morale perks

Advice to Management

Improve morale perks and increase pay enterprise wide.

"Better than being unemployed?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baldwin, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baldwin, MI

I have been working at Blarney Castle Oil and Propane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very little chance of layoff/hours maybe cut dramatically though
    For you druggies ,no drug screening even though they say they will

Cons

Very low pay for the massive work load
    management does not take any recommendations from workers
    Wages now frozen/very little chance of advancement
    Extremely high employee turnover(nearly 100% in two years)

Advice to Management

Please hire managers &area managers that even remotely know how to run a retail bussiness and know anything about "human resources" Stop using the constant threat of write ups as an employee motivator.