Bleacher Report Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Finocchio

Pros
  • A dream job for anyone looking to work in sports (in 7 reviews)

• The people who work at B/R are awesome (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Quite obvious who came from Turner and who came from B/R (in 4 reviews)

• I have witnessed sexual harassment on numerous occations and cxo's and upper management willingly turn a blind eye (in 4 reviews)

"Featured Columnist"

Former Employee - Featured Columnist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Featured Columnist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bleacher Report (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to write when I chose and about what topics I desired, besides the teams and/or sports that I was assigned. They were quite flexible and understanding about other commitments/due dates.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to get an answer about questions. It's also difficult to move up and become paid.

Advice to Management

None

"Potential to be amazing - young, and poorly informed management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment for sports fans, with a great kitchen. Younger employees bring a bit of different life to the company, although that can also backfire. While I'm still bitter about what happened (in the cons section) I do have fond memories of the experiences and people I worked with.

Cons

Terrible management and young egos. People in charge were only concerned about SEO and clicks. I was laid off while being told they were looking for someone who basically, did what I did. I was there for a few days after being notified to finish my employment and not once did the active CEO or management stop by to thank me for my years of hard work and dedication to the company. Did he/they see me? Yes. After numerous walk-pasts and eye contacts during that time. Felt like a HUGE slap in the face.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more involved with their employees. Be aware of the skills and abilities of your staff and reposition them if you no longer have a home for them in their current position.

"Did Not Pay What they Promised"

Former Employee - Social Content Producer in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Social Content Producer in South Bend, IN

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bleacher Report has a lot of very young producers. This means there is a lot of fun and creativity happening. In my position I had the opportunity to be as creative as I could be, and the company supported any good ideas my team came up with.

Cons

When I was verbally offered this temporary position, I was repeatedly told I would receive $35,000. In the end, they paid me much less and deny ever verbally offering me more. As someone who relocated for them and spent 5 months away from my family, this was infuriating.

Advice to Management

When someone moves to South Bend for 5 months for you, pay them fairly. I asked about payment very clearly prior to accepting the position. I wouldn't have accepted this position for what I ultimately was paid.

"Free Food, Some People Are Nice...Big Divide"

Former Employee - Worker in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Worker in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of free snacks
    Free catered food every so often or holidays
    Good location
    Casual
    No drug screening
    Flexible hours
    Happy hour on Friday's
    Video and other games
    Some people are genuine

Cons

Catty divide between Turner and Bleacher Report employees
    Very low pay compared to other SF tech companies
    No private quiet space to work in or to get away, unless you take a conference room for yourself
    Some employees are very young, entitled and have major attitude
    Feels like there is no real direction from management
    Very poor internal communication
    Messy office space in general

Advice to Management

Pay me for my advise.

"Felt like Hamster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Learned about SEO. Was challenging and learned to be a fast editor. Got to a lot of experience with editing online material.

Cons

Mentor / guidance was impersonal. The pace required for editing was quite demanding, and a lot of times felt like was being used for free labor without much mentoring.

Advice to Management

Make a more personal connection with your interns and offer better guidance on how to edit beyond how fast they should be editing their material. Think more big picture.

"Young sportswriters: cut your teeth elsewhere"

Current Employee - Featured Columnist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Featured Columnist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I work remotely, so I don't have to fight traffic into work and can wear what I want. Writing about sports is fun, especially if you like sports (and you wouldn't be doing this job if you didn't). The editors are responsive, for the most part.

Cons

I used to tell my friends that B/R is a good place to cut your teeth as a writer. That may have been the case when I started — though in the eyes of some, I was disillusioned from the start. In either case, I no longer believe that to be true. The sites writing hierarchy is broken down into lead writers and featured columnists, the latter of which are content monkeys that write a mix of original (pitched by writer) and "prebudgeted" (assigned by the editor) content. Oftentimes, the prebudgeted content is almost exactly the same from week to week, though with minor tweaks in the headline, which leads to a lot of regurgitation. You'll find yourself writing the same thing over and over, especially during the offseason. There is little if any opportunity to be creative as a writer due to all the assigned content/slideshows.

I have heard countless stories of B/R moving on from/firing/demoting talented writers who did nothing but solid work for the site. Many of the people among the most recent wave of disappointed, disillusioned current and former Bleacher Report-ers are among the people who helped re-shape the public perception of the website from a content farm (which, in some ways, it still is) to a hub for thought-provoking, original columns and stories (which it is also).

The company has hired big names like Howard Beck, Kevin Ding, Mike Freeman, Jason Cole, Ethan Skolnick, and others as lead writers. These hires have helped the credibility of the site, but in bringing in all these big names at contracts that I can only imagine are extremely lucrative, B/R has done away with the old business model that allowed writers to work their way up into real, respectable jobs at the site.

Advice to Management

Respect the people who did the grunt work to help build your platform from a laughing-stock of the industry to one of its biggest juggernauts.

8. "Great leadership. Awesome team. Growing company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

This may be the best job I've ever had. I truly enjoy coming into work every day. The people are smart, hard-working and laid back. Leadership motivates staff and communicates company goals and strategy. The company is growing exponentially creating new opportunities for staff to take on interesting projects and initiatives. All in all, I really love working here.

Cons

Company is growing so quickly that keeping up with hiring is a challenge.

9. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work at B/R are awesome. It is a fun atmosphere with like-minded co-workers who are always willing to lend a hand. There are TVs everywhere which is amazing.

Cons

Bleacher Report could improve their professional development. They would be better off finding distinct structure or pathways for their employees to move up.

Advice to Management

Management has chanced since I worked there so I don't have much of an opinion. The only thing I would say is that there are loads of skilled employees who will shine if given more opportunities.

"Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Breaking News Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Breaking News Writer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Loved starting out as an intern and working up to featured columnist/breaking news writer. There are a lot of caring and diligent editors who will work with you to help you truly develop your craft. There are mentors and valuable resources aplenty for you to take advantage of.

Cons

There appears to be a glass ceiling. Felt the whole vibe and outlook of the company shifted after the Turner acquisition. Became disconcerting how they placed less value on grooming their own talent as opposed to going out and acquiring big names elsewhere. Overall is a great place to get a foot in the door, but not a huge opportunity beyond that.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots a little bit. Produce a little less content and place more value on all the writers who made the company so great in the first place.

11. "Great but not perfect place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bleacher Report full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate, hardworking, really smart people. Working in sports is a lot of work but also a lot of fun. Tickets to games, snacks and free food, good benefits, especially 401k.

Cons

Very competitive to work in sports. Hard to live in Bay Area long term on current salary (but that's maybe more of a Silicon Valley vs. BR thing).

Advice to Management

Don't listen to all these negative reviews. Are things perfect? No. Are there areas that could be improved? Yes. But it obvious that things are improving. Keep over communicating and being transparent about how decisions are made at BR. Keep trying to hire from within as much as possible.