Bleacher Report "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bleacher Report Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Sep 25, 2019

3.6
Bleacher Report CEO Dave Finocchio (no image)
Dave Finocchio
Pros
  • "Great perks since B/R is under Warner Media(in 9 reviews)

• "I realize it will be difficult to find a work environment like B/R again(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "This model is part of the reason experienced journalists/writers can't get paid satisfactory salaries(in 9 reviews)

• "Some people go into the program with the hope of writing for B/R after the program is done, and they're somewhat vague about that possibility(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great work life balance, sports & culture combined enough said"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bleacher Report full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, management trusts you to do you work without micromanaging and listen to your input and opinion, very relaxed work environment and people are nice to work with. Great perks since B/R is under Warner Media

Cons

Company would benefit from more established processes and better internal communication on projects, though efforts are certainly being made to improve and get better

Bleacher Report2019-09-26
  2. "Good with the potential to be Great"

Current Employee - Associate Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bleacher Report full-time for more than a year

Pros

Atmosphere to be creative Chill work environment in-touch with the current culture if sports will certainly surpass ESPN at some point

Cons

Can be very "clicky" Promotions are based off how you fit in more so than your merit

Advice to Management

Bleacher is amazing and it's only a matter of time before they are looked at universally as the leader in sports. However, there's always room to improve and I believe making a more adamant effort to groom the people inside the building would help a lot

Bleacher Report2019-03-26

"Review of Content Roles"

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone tries to help others succeed.

Cons

Everyone in content is extremely underpaid for the type of work they do.

Bleacher Report2018-04-04

"4 years at Bleacher Report"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Bleacher Report. Great people, great company, great atmosphere. I left to pursue a new career because I wanted to try something new, but it was very difficult to leave BR. I felt like I was treated well, and learned a lot from some really smart people. And as a sports fan, I was able to enjoy sports during the day, which was a definite plus. I also personally enjoyed having the support of... a big company Turner - opened up the possibilities for what we could do and how we could grow. The office itself is also great. I realize it will be difficult to find a work environment like B/R again.

Cons

I think the only thing for me would be that a lot of the people who I had gotten to know over my time there had gone on to pursue new things, so a lot of fresh faces in the office. I think that's just a natural part of any company, especially a relatively young but growing one, to have people come and go. And often those people leaving were doing so for good opportunities within the company, like some people moved... from SF to NY or London but remained at BR. For others, they had just reached a limit of what they could do at BR - which again I don't think is a strike against BR, but just that the kind of people they hire are go-getters. So it was natural for those people to move on. And i definitely liked the people who were still there, as I mentioned the people are one of the best parts of the company. But as someone who had been there a while, the office was maybe a little less familiar than when I had first started, when the company was a smaller startup.

Advice to Management

I would maybe splurge on engineering talent, which I know is difficult and competitive in the Bay Area, but that's where the big opportunity is to me. Otherwise, I felt like I was managed really well in my time there, from my direct report all the way up the ladder. Got a lot of opportunities to interact with higher-up people in the company, and almost always found it valuable.

Bleacher Report2015-10-27
  5. "Great company to work for!"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Bleacher Report

Pros

lots of opportunity for professional growth, fast-growing company, great benefits, flexibility, great management, professional and fun work environment, excellent work-life balance, young

Cons

Communication across departments, communication with Turner (parent company)

Bleacher Report2014-12-10

"Swept Problems under the Rug while pretending NOT to be Alcoholics"

Former Contractor - Contract Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment if you like part professionalism and part fraternity. A lot going on.

Cons

People are either drinking all the time or sometimes drunk on the job, constantly. The upper management tends to sweep problems and people under the rug in an attempt to silence them before they have a chance to voice any ideas or complaints. The level of work waxes and wanes depending on how many Jaeger shots the team takes in afternoon. I was a contract designer, who was never paid on time, despite having direct... deposit.. they always seemed to pay us late and had 800 excuses why. A perfect example was, I was owed money and i was about to leave for a trip, and they didnt pay me, yet again, and i was stranded where i was without any money because they couldnt pay me on time. once.

Advice to Management

Either decide to clean your act up and become a professional company or stop allowing people to drink on the job.

Bleacher Report2014-08-01

"Don't get comfortable"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bleacher Report full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual work environment, opportunity to work from home part of the time, friendly and sociable staff. Good healthcare, competitive salary. At the end of the day, its sports. If you love sports (and in most cases you wouldn't be here if you didn't) its an aspect of the job you simply won't find most anywhere else.

Cons

Very long hours, basically on-call 24-7. No long-term loyalty to employees. Meet expectations and still potentially lose your job. Don't tease yourself into thinking the company cares about you.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for the hard work of the staff.

Bleacher Report2013-01-07