Blendtec Reviews | Glassdoor

Blendtec CEO Tom Dickson
Tom Dickson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of long term vision and leadership from the executive team and upper level management is setting the stage for company implosion (in 8 reviews)

• Not enough compensation per blender, long hours (in 6 reviews)

"Fabulous Company, Great Culture, Room for Advancement"

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Blendtec encourages a healthy and happy well-being culture. Along with the encouragement they provide multiple benefits to their employees such as a gym open to all employees, on-site health clinic, bistro, Dietitian/Nutritionist and massage therapist along with all of their great Medical, Vision and Dental benefits. There is a ton of growth going on in the company right now and it is truly a great thing to be a part of. All upper management are go-getters and want to see their employees grow and be successful. Blendtec helps all employees progress to where they want to be in their career and love to see advancement with in the company.

Cons

With the growth of the company there has become limited room for parking. Although, with all of the new up-to-date renovations I am sure there are plans for more parking in the near future.

"Positive Environment at a Growing and Thriving Company!"

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are so friendly, professional and talented, no matter what department! Executive leadership truly cares about the employees and about the quality and integrity of the products. Excellent compensation, and benefits. Onsite Bistro is amazing! I truly feel a part of the company family, even though I have been with the company less than a year. This company is doing amazing things and has so much potential and I am honored to be a part of it. Best employer, supervisor, and co-workers I've ever had!

Cons

Parking is a bear sometimes... That is my only complaint!

Advice to Management

Share stats, data, and goals with all of the employees. It will help everyone to feel like they are a part of the team, and help combat rumors, and get everyone working together on a united front. Allow communication to flow freely so employees will feel safe in sharing thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticism.

"Growing company with lots of potential."

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package. Quarterly bonuses - in 5+ years I've worked here the company has never missed paying out a quarterly bonus. Company is focused on hiring from within whenever possible so there are a lot of opportunities for upward movement. Other perks - free gym and personal trainer, on-site massage therapist, on-site medical clinic, on-site Bistro.

Cons

Growing pains - company has been growing very rapidly which has caused issues in nearly every department. Recently converted to a new ERP system that had MAJOR issues.
    It's a privately owned company so the owner, Tom Dickson, can really sway how things are done (commonly called "The Tom factor"). A fair number of his decisions are based on emotion instead of data. He can also make knee-jerk decisions to hire people for critical positions that should be based on their qualifications - not hired because they used to be Tom's neighbor.

Advice to Management

Need to evaluate all supervisors, managers, etc for performance. There are a few managers that have not been replaced despite years of obvious poor performance. This really damages employee moral.

"Blendtec Review"

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, innovative and exciting environment. Company cares about employees and their health and wellbeing, as is demonstrated by onsite clinic, gym, personal trainer ect.. Company has great products and core values that are easy to get behind, made in USA, healthy living. Great team to work with.

Cons

Has some quirks being privately held by an entrepreneur, this results in some unusual processes that can be good or bad depending on position in company.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and empower them to do their job.

"Great people, I couldn't ask for more from a company of this size."

Current Employee - Engineer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always innovating, empowering people and promoting employee’s development. My job is challenging and rewarding. I love coming to work every day, even on Mondays.

Cons

It’s hard to find a negative aspect of a company when you’ve witnessed the effort management puts into making employees happy.

Advice to Management

keep it up

"Can't Wait to Go to Work Each Day!"

Current Employee - Junior Buyer
    Current Employee - Junior Buyer

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Blendtec is a fantastic place to work! When I started (about 3 1/2 years ago), I was amazed at how coming to work felt like going to a family reunion. You have your co-workers you love and some that are that "annoying cousin" you just work with, but still love to death. I have been amazed at how easily my managers have allowed me to grow and to expand my knowledge. I have worked in two different departments within this company. Blendtec has education reimbursement and many other benefits that I have not had available from other companies I have worked for. They really encourage you to be your best and to improve. They also encourage employees to get out and have fun spreading the vision. I have participated in some of the races Blendtec has sponsored and on their running team. Those are experiences I wouldn't trade for anything! They have a great vision of how they can only become better, by having their employees become better. It is fun to see the changes and continuous improvement/innovations. It is very cool to be able to go somewhere and know that I was a part of the creation of the blender they are using. Blendtec is a place that you can proudly tell your friends you work! People are always interested and excited to talk to you about where you work.

Cons

Just growing pains. Change happens. I have watched people come and go. I have been part of restructuring and switching computer systems. While they had their headaches, they have all eventually ironed out to fantastic results that you can't imagine how you ever lived doing them any other way and surviving. I have never woke up in the morning dreading going to work.

Advice to Management

There are many talented people that hide in the woodwork that don't know how to find out how to switch departments or don't ever hear about the new opportunities. Better communicating internal and external job postings to all employees.

"It feels great to be acknowledged for my abilities and effort. I have never been compensated the way I am at Blendtec."

Current Employee - Team Lead in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have excellent benefits and pay. They truly value their employees and customers. Blendtec builds an outstanding product that I truly believe in and backs it up 100%. One of the few companies still around that gives quarterly bonuses and pays people what they are really worth. Small hometown feel with worldwide growth. One of the few powerhouses out there that doesn't treat their employees like cattle. The CEO and owners treat everyone like family. You see them everywhere really getting involved. Any day of the week, you can sit down in the Bistro and have breakfast or lunch with any of them and they will welcome you with open arms regardless of your position or tenure. You can even wander into the Giant Blender that is attached to the CEO's office without feeling like an intruder.

Cons

Some of the employees' inability to move forward into the realm of growth and prosperity. Change is never easy, but it is rewarding. They'll come around.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You have our support because you really make us feel valuable to the team. GO TEAM BLENDTEC!!!! Give out some Blendtec swag! I would be honored to represent my awesome company by sporting Blendtec clothing! 400 walking billboards.....what could be better???

"Blendtec is Growing Fast!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous talent exist at all levels at Blendtec. How you perform is up to you. Those who cannot work as a team for the betterment of the organization will struggle at Blendtec. It is the expectation of leaders to elevate their teams and themselves. In the time I have worked at Blendtec I have never felt micromanaged or prevented from making changes. Despite the challenges the organization has faced over the past 3 years, the employees willing to rise above adversity and perform make Blendtec an exceptional place to work. Blendtec is a virtual gold mine of opportunity, with the correct mindset you will excel and develop life long skills. Benefits are not talked about enough! On site health care clinic, medical bennifits package, on-site personal trainer, lean leadership training, tuition reimbursement, 13 paid holidays, incentive (based on profitability), 4 hours a week earned PTO, free blender to every employee, on-site nutritionalist, incredible products, company parties, great sales team, engineering team, manufacturing team, marketing team, HR team, Customer Service teams...

Cons

The company has gone through dramatic restructuring; it is never easy to lose people. Blendtec does not do enough internal marketing (or external); there are amazing team members accomplishing great things. The company is improving rapidly, individuals need to see required changes from all perspectives and not just their own. Presence of victim mentality is strong, needs to change if culture is to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to reinvest in team members. Continue to treat employees with respect even those who do not understand scope of decision making. CEC please continue the transparency, involve team members at all levels in aligning the company to corporate strategy.

"Look for the Good"

Current Employee - Production Manager in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Orem, UT

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is my 6th company in 40 years and the 3rd family owned business I have worked for. This has been the best so far! I have been reading the comments by current and former employees and feel a great deal of sadness for some of them. No job is perfect, but we all have to work. We might as well make the best with what we have. There seems to be an air of entitlement of what has the company done for me lately. The happiest employees in the world are the ones that come to work everyday and ask what can I GIVE today? If we look back at our employment history can we all say we were happiest when we honestly gave 100%? It takes the right type of employee to have this attitude, and these are the ones that I like to hire and mentor. I have not always been successful, but I keep trying. The unhappy employees are always taking or wanting something for nothing, putting in minimal time, job hopping, bad mouthing management or co-workers, etc. You want to work for a great company? Then come to work and make it great! How many people have blasted Tom Dickson on this site for his role in running the company? Sadly these individuals have no clue what it takes to build a business. How many of you are willing to risk home foreclosures, family relationships, personal attacks, and every penny you own so that others can have a good place to work! I hope all of us are willing to put in the same commitment.

Cons

Many employees either do not care about or understand the true meaning of LEAN. Once they see it in action they will realize the rewarding benefits. This transition takes some time and effort. Hang in there!

Advice to Management

Stick to the principles of LEAN. Train more upper management in 6 sigma. I have seen 3 companies struggle by doing things the same old way, and 3 companies flourish by adopting LEAN. You may not be the most popular group for awhile, as you make tough decisions, but trust me, great things can happen in the future!

"Fast Paced"

I have been working at Blendtec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blendtec is a great place to work with a huge upside. The opportunities to make a difference and grow with the company are greater than any other company I have worked for. The sky is the limit for a motivated person with the right attitude. It has an exciting fast paced environment. Not a good fit for negative, complacent personality types.

Cons

Culture is changing, but it would be great if it could change quicker.

Advice to Management

Make the correct choices regardless of how difficult they are.