Blinds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jay Steinfeld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Since Home Depot buyout, we have been given more projects and opportunities for growth into new business areas (in 11 reviews)

• Great company culture with good core values (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Home Depot changed EVERYTHING NOT in a good way (in 10 reviews)

• It is very hard to find work life balance with this company if you work in the call center (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A REAL AWESOME PLACE TO WORK AND BE YOURSELF!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was forced to leave the company due to the relocation of my spouse. Now that I am working in another company, I clearly see the value of the culture and the people that I enjoyed every day working for Global Custom Commerce!

I was fortune to receive support from excellent leaders who genuinely care about you and dedicate their time to share their experience and expertise with you to help you be better.

The environment is very inclusive and no matter where you are coming from, your age, color, and appearance, you can grow and embrace new projects and promotions. At GCC you are who you demonstrate with results, not because you are nice or kiss boots. You grow if you are smart and committed. You are promoted because you deliver what you promise.

There are a lot of development opportunities to make you a better person and a better professional. The leadership team is an example of diversity and inclusion, having a good balance of gender and ethnicity that clearly shows how inclusive and welcoming is the whole company to people who are different and willing to be themselves and express they uniqueness.

Fresh fruit and yogurt for free every Monday, lots of free cake and ice cream, parking lot without reserved spaces, excellent training, beautiful offices, great people, caring managers, smart colleagues, prestigious parent company (The Home Depot), freedom to speak, space for creativity, great health and medical insurance, support for your education and volunteer work, and great compensation are only a small sample of the great benefits of working here.

I can go on and on for hours highlighting all the positive aspects of this awesome place to work and be yourself, but I will only say THANK YOU, GCC! THANK YOU, Leaders! for caring about me and making me a happier person.

Cons

No being able to work there anymore due to my move :(

No day care

There is not a hot food concession in the building to get hot meals, even though we have microwaves and great free beverages. May be putting some toasters or fast ovens will help.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the development of your people. Keep caring about the working environment. Keep being so inclusive.

Thank you, again!

2. "Changing Retail"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life here isn’t just about Blinds anymore. The Home Depot acquisition has changed much of that and enabled us to have a much broader sphere of control in terms of shaping the future of home improvement retail. The teams that operate out of the Houston office are bright, talented, and fun to work with.

Cons

You may have a strong perspective on how to delight customers and getting that message shared with cross-functional teams takes a lot of effort. Sometimes the best approach conflicts with other team’s prioritities, which can leave you with a strong vision and more obstacles to overcome to achieve that vision.

Advice to Management

Our core values have paved a path for our success. We need to continue to push our teams to live those core values and re-emphasize the importance of why and how they can be used to achieve greatness in everything we do.

3. "Love Working Here"

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time

Pros

The PEOPLE, the challenging environment, the opportunity to pitch in, the extracurricular activities, the commission is great for those that earn it, and the team building and parties.

Cons

The communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Silos are better but still need work.

4. "Customer Care Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great performance compensation plans for Service Department

Cons

Home Depot changed EVERYTHING NOT in a good way

"Disastrous, disappointing, & dumb decisions defined."

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Schedule Flexibility
    - Location of Office

Cons

- Bait and switch performance plan makes compensation for most fall below the poverty level, while rewarding those with little to no window treatment or home improvement skills who strong arm customers into making poor purchase if decisions.

Advice to Management

Scale back management as a whole to a core group of highly adept individuals with a clear vision of the direction the company should be going, and encourage this group to instill the core values set up by our founder in their teams.

6. "Great place to work"

Pros

Great place to work, many opportunities to grow. Always taking care of the people. They always have food when busy and contribute to many organizations.

Cons

Always room to grow and to continuously improve which is the company's Core Values. I like working there. Great company.

"Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary. They pay the Sales team an hourly wage, plus a commission based on what is sold. I found that to be very good. Many can make 6 figures with much effort.

Cons

Management. Most of the management team is very inexperienced, not just in the industry, but in management. They operate with a favoritism and retribution. In other words, they have people that are on their team of favorites and those are treated very well.
    But when you operate within their "Core Values" and speak up, you are punished. I've seen some that were suspended, demoted and also fired.

Advice to Management

Seriously evaluate your management staff and make the changes necessary. Don't punish employees for doing what you ask them to do (Speak Up).

Blinds.com Response

Oct 20, 2017

We appreciate this feedback and will continue to take a deeper look at how we can improve our training (management and otherwise), as well as how we are living out our values and treating those that... More

"Speak Up and Fear The Consequences"

I worked at Blinds.com full-time

Pros

If you live in Houston and have a desire to stay in Houston then this can be a decent place to spend your time.

Cons

Listen up. I've quietly observed Blinds.com churn. I feel like a whistle blower but here goes nothing. I don't have to fear the consequences of speaking up anymore. The CEO got his payday and checked out from Blinds.com a long time ago. The Senior Leadership Team is very superficial and will only put on the show when management from Home Depot comes to town. The Senior Leadership Team is often overheard talking poorly about one another. I overheard two Vice Presidents from the Senior Leadership Team discussing how incompetent another Vice President in the company was because and how he didn't even have a college education. This is also the person that the CEO put in charge of the supposed future of the company. "Is it even legal to have a person in such high position without a college education? <laughs> It would make sense if he had a background like a Mark Zuckerberg. But **** is a call center guy and has zero product development experience..." Right or wrong I found this to be wrong on so many levels. The Chief Marketing Officer has departed the company and the marketing team that is left appears to not be making any changes to the website in over a year! The Chief Information Officer has departed the company and replaced by a man who is borderline psychopathic. Rumor has it that he himself was pushed out of the company by the CEO in to retain the new replacement CIO who had announced that he was leaving the company to take a job at a competitor.

Advice to Management

Ackknowledge what I said in Cons.

Blinds.com Response

Oct 20, 2017

Thank you for speaking up, although we’re saddened that you felt like you were unable to do so until after you left the company. Our goal is to ensure that our open door policy and value of ‘Be... More

"Best Place to work in houston"

Former Employee - Samples Department Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Samples Department Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Medical Benefits, 401K. Good people to work with.

Cons

Some of the departments tend to have clicks within them.

10. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Did not fine any till date

Advice to Management

None