Blinds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Jay Steinfeld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Since Home Depot buyout, we have been given more projects and opportunities for growth into new business areas (in 10 reviews)

• Great company culture with good core values (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Transition of how to handle the merge with Home Depot (in 8 reviews)

• It is very hard to find work life balance with this company if you work in the call center (in 4 reviews)

1. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Did not fine any till date

Advice to Management

None

"A REAL AWESOME PLACE TO WORK AND BE YOURSELF!!"

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was forced to leave the company due to the relocation of my spouse. Now that I am working in another company, I clearly see the value of the culture and the people that I enjoyed every day working for Global Custom Commerce!

I was fortune to receive support from excellent leaders who genuinely care about you and dedicate their time to share their experience and expertise with you to help you be better.

The environment is very inclusive and no matter where you are coming from, your age, color, and appearance, you can grow and embrace new projects and promotions. At GCC you are who you demonstrate with results, not because you are nice or kiss boots. You grow if you are smart and committed. You are promoted because you deliver what you promise.

There are a lot of development opportunities to make you a better person and a better professional. The leadership team is an example of diversity and inclusion, having a good balance of gender and ethnicity that clearly shows how inclusive and welcoming is the whole company to people who are different and willing to be themselves and express they uniqueness.

Fresh fruit and yogurt for free every Monday, lots of free cake and ice cream, parking lot without reserved spaces, excellent training, beautiful offices, great people, caring managers, smart colleagues, prestigious parent company (The Home Depot), freedom to speak, space for creativity, great health and medical insurance, support for your education and volunteer work, and great compensation are only a small sample of the great benefits of working here.

I can go on and on for hours highlighting all the positive aspects of this awesome place to work and be yourself, but I will only say THANK YOU, GCC! THANK YOU, Leaders! for caring about me and making me a happier person.

Cons

No being able to work there anymore due to my move :(

No day care

There is not a hot food concession in the building to get hot meals, even though we have microwaves and great free beverages. May be putting some toasters or fast ovens will help.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the development of your people. Keep caring about the working environment. Keep being so inclusive.

Thank you, again!

3. "DC"

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time

Pros

Benefits are great and great pay

Cons

long hours and work holidays

4. "Amazing culture, great people, boundless opportunities"

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Blinds.com is one of the best places to work in Houston. They are strategic in their business tactics, have entire teams dedicated to employee engagement, they believe in growing their employees and always give you the opportunity to speak up.
    • Great work/life balance
    • Fun days at work ( ie: dogs at work, ice cream socials, food trucks, etc)
    • Opportunities for movement within the company if you put in the work
    • Managers that support your career pathing by providing you challenges to get you where you want to be
    • A CEO who actually listens to his people!

Cons

Better communication throughout departments would do the company good!

"Last chance to listen"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team feeling among the call center, love helping people grow in their roles. Company talk a lot about positive culture

Cons

They stopped practicing positive culture after they were purchased by the Home Depot. It became all about driving sales numbers regardless of how hard they were riding the backs of the teams.
    You may be treated more favorably based on the color of your skin. If you are white you get your pick of positions, even if you are struggling. If you are black you get shown the door. I've seen it happen numerous times.

Advice to Management

Take some time to REALLY talk to the team and sit in their seats for a few. Not just a "sit and meet"

"A legacy built on greatness lost!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Catered lunches, modern work environment, and new roles of opportunity created within the company almost on a monthly basis.

Cons

Complete lack of direction from leadership, nepotism, and an overall feeling of complacency.

Advice to Management

Reach out to former employees from all departments who have left in the past on good terms, but simply jumped a sinking ship with offers of opportunity to assit us in restoring this company to it's former glory. If this is unattainable, do our best to recruit the caliber of superstars lost throughout the company. Unfortunately, there are many.

"Customer Service"

Pros

Decent Pay for the job.

Cons

A racist company, still away if non-white.

Advice to Management

Don't be racist.

"Great Company with a Positive Working Culture and Bright Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blinds.com has always been a fun place to work, with some of the brightest talent in Houston. Since Home Depot buyout, we have been given more projects and opportunities for growth into new business areas. These projects are challenging and require us to rethink our current processes so that we can be more efficient and continue to learn. We also have tons of food for fuel and outlets such as small parties, ping pong, etc to relieve stress.

Cons

Transition of how to handle the merge with Home Depot. Communication from upper management can seem like they are not being 100% truthful and transparent.

"Don't fall into the trap that is this toxic place...or the good reviews"

I worked at Blinds.com full-time

Pros

-Opportunity to work as much as possible
    -Catered food several times a month
    -Fun events every now and then
    -You MIGHT, I say MIGHT be allowed to work from home a couple of days a week if you're lucky.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    This place is nothing like it used to be. They used to invest in their employees and bring in people with real talent and skills. Now the place is chocked full with people who just left fast food joints, gas stations, or Target. They beg you to speak up and be yourself but when you do, you are simply ignored, terminated, or "blacklisted". The management here is a complete farce. They pretend to care about you and tell you that its all about 'improvement' but in reality, they are underqualified, selfish, egotistical folks who will fire you just for looking at them the wrong way. This is a Home Depot company - which means that the management will throw anyone under the bus just so they can look good..or like they actually know what they're doing. Ever been the person who dared to be different by doing your hair a certain way or wearing something different, but when you stepped out, you felt like everyone was talking bad about you or whispering to each other about you? Yea, that's how management makes you feel here. Like to be micro-managed? This is the place for you! Like to be watched like a hawk the second you go to lunch, the bathroom, or to take a break? This is the place for you! Enjoy adhering to a ton of strict rules just to help customers out? This is the place for you! Like having your pay docked for even the simplest mistakes even though you actually helped the customer? This is your place! Really, the only people happy in the place are the people who work in IT or marketing. See a bunch of amazing reviews of this place? Yea, that came from the friendly folks down in marketing. See additional reviews of people who absolutely love it here? Look at their time of employment - most less than a year. Yea, those are all people who just arrived to this place and haven't seen the warts and disease of the company. Think I'm just a bitter former employee writing a scathing review? Think again. I'm telling it like it is...and I couldn't be happier that I've left. If I can prevent one person from applying here and going through the painstaking process of employment for the sake of their career and mental health, then I've done my job.

Advice to Management

Too late to save this sinking ship. Just being honest....

"If you know how to grow."

Current Employee - IT Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are bunch of opportunities, all you need open eye and ear.

Cons

sometimes favoritism, Management sometimes seems to be lost or dont want to convey details. More or life depends on pleasing Home depot but its Pro too and THD gets more business.

Advice to Management

Open up and speak up more and tell people.