Blinds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Jay Steinfeld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Since Home Depot buyout, we have been given more projects and opportunities for growth into new business areas (in 11 reviews)

• Company is built around core values that are constantly being incorporated in meetings, conversations, events, etc (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Home Depot changed EVERYTHING NOT in a good way (in 11 reviews)

• It is very hard to find work life balance with this company if you work in the call center (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A REAL AWESOME PLACE TO WORK AND BE YOURSELF!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was forced to leave the company due to the relocation of my spouse. Now that I am working in another company, I clearly see the value of the culture and the people that I enjoyed every day working for Global Custom Commerce!

I was fortune to receive support from excellent leaders who genuinely care about you and dedicate their time to share their experience and expertise with you to help you be better.

The environment is very inclusive and no matter where you are coming from, your age, color, and appearance, you can grow and embrace new projects and promotions. At GCC you are who you demonstrate with results, not because you are nice or kiss boots. You grow if you are smart and committed. You are promoted because you deliver what you promise.

There are a lot of development opportunities to make you a better person and a better professional. The leadership team is an example of diversity and inclusion, having a good balance of gender and ethnicity that clearly shows how inclusive and welcoming is the whole company to people who are different and willing to be themselves and express they uniqueness.

Fresh fruit and yogurt for free every Monday, lots of free cake and ice cream, parking lot without reserved spaces, excellent training, beautiful offices, great people, caring managers, smart colleagues, prestigious parent company (The Home Depot), freedom to speak, space for creativity, great health and medical insurance, support for your education and volunteer work, and great compensation are only a small sample of the great benefits of working here.

I can go on and on for hours highlighting all the positive aspects of this awesome place to work and be yourself, but I will only say THANK YOU, GCC! THANK YOU, Leaders! for caring about me and making me a happier person.

Cons

No being able to work there anymore due to my move :(

No day care

There is not a hot food concession in the building to get hot meals, even though we have microwaves and great free beverages. May be putting some toasters or fast ovens will help.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the development of your people. Keep caring about the working environment. Keep being so inclusive.

Thank you, again!

2. "A Company That Truly Lives Its Values"

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office atmosphere is spirited and engaging. The people are friendly, diverse, and work well together. There's a ping-pong table, a VR game room, and other indicators that it's a "cool place to work." But what really makes Blinds.com awesome is the way its values shine through, at every level. Everyone, regardless of position, is encouraged to speak their minds and experiment without fear, and that manifests in people from all corners of the company not only producing great work, but coming up with innovative ideas and solutions.

Cons

The company has seen rapid expansion lately and is dealing with the growing pains. It has become more difficult for teams across the company to communicate effectively and streamline operations. This has led to some siloing of work, longer timelines to complete projects, and inconsistencies in customer experiences.

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example when it comes to living Blinds.com's core values. Focus on how the company can keep innovating and delivering top-of-the-line customer experiences, even as we deal with the challenges of having more and more employees.

3. "Change is good (Supposedly)"

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time

Pros

Being with the company for quite sometime I’ve seen my share of change and because of these changes many opportunities have opened up. The company is on a growth spur, looking to promote within - the best and the brightest.

Cons

In my opinion, Favoritism is the main ingredient when it comes to getting promoted here in this company. Not what you can bring to table, your experience or most importantly, what you are willing to learn. The company went through a Fast Pace hiring event about a month ago. Management was shuffled around and new positions was created. Many employees applied of All races and every race was hired in the new positions except the Black race. Although there were applicants that really qualified for the positions as well, not one black got one of the six positions that was open as Manager on Duty, in my opinion this could have balanced the Culture out completely within the Call center.

The Vice- President clearly shows that he does not care about the Culture because he always talks about numbers. Speaking of numbers - the employees don’t know if they are getting paid correctly or not because the VP can’t give valid data to prove the numbers. He has his picks when it comes to polite programs - which most companies do but when you have a hand full of good grapes stop picking the rotten ones always because the team knows more than you realize.

Advice to Management

Spend one on one time with your team in small groups. Listening to their concerns and their personal solutions. (Some have them). Stop just looking at the highest revenue or close rate generators and treat the team equally. Everyone has something to share - they are just not driven because they feel in-valued.

4. "Great place"

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place to work, sometimes you work from home. People there are nice

Cons

New Management after Home Depot made buy out is killing original company culture

5. "Love Working Here"

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time

Pros

The PEOPLE, the challenging environment, the opportunity to pitch in, the extracurricular activities, the commission is great for those that earn it, and the team building and parties.

Cons

The communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Silos are better but still need work.

6. "Changing Retail"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life here isn’t just about Blinds anymore. The Home Depot acquisition has changed much of that and enabled us to have a much broader sphere of control in terms of shaping the future of home improvement retail. The teams that operate out of the Houston office are bright, talented, and fun to work with.

Cons

You may have a strong perspective on how to delight customers and getting that message shared with cross-functional teams takes a lot of effort. Sometimes the best approach conflicts with other team’s prioritities, which can leave you with a strong vision and more obstacles to overcome to achieve that vision.

Advice to Management

Our core values have paved a path for our success. We need to continue to push our teams to live those core values and re-emphasize the importance of why and how they can be used to achieve greatness in everything we do.

"(READ) STAY AWAY AT ALL COST!"

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is Good.. that’s it.
    Pay is good.
     Seriously that’s it ... I need a Twenty Word Minimum to submit this review.

Cons

People.
    Sex Scandals In Upper Management.
    Men Do Your Job and Go Home - Only Women/Jewish and LGBT are safe at this company
    Culture.
    False Inclusion.
    Work Life Balance. The Fake Smiles and Condescending Nature.
    Sitting in your car deciding can you come in just one more time. The Good Pay Isn’t Worth Your Sanity. Do Your Self A Favor and Just Turn Away.

8. "Customer Care Specialist"

I worked at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great performance compensation plans for Service Department

Cons

Home Depot changed EVERYTHING NOT in a good way

"Disastrous, disappointing, & dumb decisions defined."

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blinds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Schedule Flexibility
    - Location of Office

Cons

- Bait and switch performance plan makes compensation for most fall below the poverty level, while rewarding those with little to no window treatment or home improvement skills who strong arm customers into making poor purchase if decisions.

Advice to Management

Scale back management as a whole to a core group of highly adept individuals with a clear vision of the direction the company should be going, and encourage this group to instill the core values set up by our founder in their teams.

10. "Great place to work"

Pros

Great place to work, many opportunities to grow. Always taking care of the people. They always have food when busy and contribute to many organizations.

Cons

Always room to grow and to continuously improve which is the company's Core Values. I like working there. Great company.