Blinds to Go Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Stephen J. Shiller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, nice people, friendly environment (in 4 reviews)

• You work in a really great team environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • it's long hours of standing to start (in 37 reviews)

• Lots of promises from upper management, which you never see (in 11 reviews)

"Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good base salary plus commission and bonuses. You make a lot of money as a Design Consultant even if you don't want management. Management accommodates you for requested days off which makes it easy to plan. Very positive environment to work because your colleagues care about you. Team work and lots of assistance. Great environment to start a career. You are given the platform to make your own decisions and learn from mistakes. I grew a lot with the company.

Cons

There is non in California or Florida to move people to

Advice to Management

keep on with your business foundation and continue growing people.

2. "Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Training Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Training Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company sells you a dream that never takes place...the constAnt feedback and feedback makes you wonder if you have a brain at all. This company is a cult stay away....

Cons

Work 12 hours standing up...weekends must work...poor pay...constant criticism. There is not a real structure in this company. Goals are not realistic...waste of time career wise.

Advice to Management

There is no real management

3. "Design consultant"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros at all. Please stay far away from this company. They are just filled with promises, they cannot keep.

Cons

There are so many, I am very disappointed with this company. I was looking for work for quite awhile. A recruiter found my resume on monster. 3 managers interviewed me for the position. They ask me to many personal question for the position. The salary is only 24,000 which is very low. Once I first started the company is all about feedback , but for the first week how well can you give feedback for a person you just met. Before I started I did do research on the company on this website, and I should have gone with my gut because they were so many bad reviews. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Overall I had a death in my family, and could not continue to work because of my family issue. I sent 3 emails/phone calls regarding this. I have yet to received my check for the week I started. I will never shop at blinds to go ever.

Advice to Management

Need new management

4. "Growing experience"

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at Blinds to Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With this company you can grow. The feedback are very helpful. Friendly environment. This company belives in your potential.

Cons

Closing and having to open the very next. Sometime the traffic is very slow . Which its hard sometimes to make your sales.

Advice to Management

With the mangers thanks for taking time out to work with your employees. Taking the time to get to know them one on one.

5. "Management Trainee"

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time

Pros

Descent salary, good start for a sales career, nice teammates

Cons

Too much of 'feedbacks' which are mostly frustrating and sometimes are incorrect (almost every store manager will tell you that you are unthoughtful even if you are way more thoughtful and experienced than this manager).
    Commissions are low, so the top performers earn just a little bit more than others.
    If you are hired as a 'management trainee', you are just a regular sales associate. Forget about management. There are just 4 or 5 stores in your region, most of them have a manager, and there are more than 10 'trainees' in these stores, but all stores are understaffed with regular sales consultants. Because of it your manager and Nkere will give you feedbacks telling that you need more improvement until they will need a new manager.

Advice to Management

Be more open-minded and listen same way as you tell your employees. Be patient. Pay higher commissions

6. "I worked there for 4 years. Left when I got a better offer which wasn't hard for someone to offer."

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really isn't any. Good health benefits. My checks were good but I worked like a dog to achieve that. It can be a good job right out of college while you look for your career. Because you will have 2 days off during the week to go to interviews.

Cons

Well.... it's long hours of standing to start. You don't really have a life you work from 9-7 and sometimes you will be stuck there till way after. Some stores don't have managers in them because they are the "slow stores" or "where you get sent if they want you to quite so their numbers don't look bad". If that is the case you are usually doing the majority of the work, while co-workers hide. Co-workers that do not pull their weight or blame the fact that it slow, too much money for the customer, who basically suck they keep around. which is not fun for the people who can sell. They say you get a raise, which it is not. Because you have to sell a certain amount till they pay you the commission. You get a store bonus if your store meets the monthly goal. However, it sucks when you work with people who can't/won't perform. Which is going to be a big possibility because they don't want to fire you because then again their numbers will look bad. They don't acknowledge when you are doing good. Just a sucky place to work. Customers complain all the time and sometimes you can handle it but other times you need help. Well, good luck. If it's your customer it's your problem. With me, I got stuck handling other D.C.'s angry customers, because they can't do their job right and no one helps them do it right. Even when you say something, know one cares. They work you like a dog and it sucks! I was happy to leave for a better job....Career I mean.

Advice to Management

1. Acknowledge your employees especially when they bring in some good sales or big customers.
    2. Learn to get rid of the people that can't preform. You loose business when someone can't or won't do their job.
    3. Think about offering stools to sit that can be easily hidden under counter
    4. Its a supposed to be a team atmosphere. Make it that way. one person should not be holding the store up. Show some face time to your employees it shows you care and you mean business.
    5. Lastly, when you give a raise, make sure it's a RAISE. What your doing now is not fair. It's Sneaky

7. "My Experience Working at Blinds to Go"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great diverse team to be apart of. You get base pay plus there is commission. There is the opportunity to meet people of different ethnicities. They help you to grow in the company once you make your interest know.

Cons

Saturday's are pretty much mandatory. It's over 40hrs work week.

8. "A good stepping stone..."

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blinds to Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Blinds to Go is the people; co-workers and customers alike. It is a good place to learn basic knowledge and skill in a sales position. Also, the benfits are decent and affordable.

Cons

The cons with working at BTG are the long hours, and the compensation. For example, to receive your commission, you must deliver-out $4,000 of product in order to get only $2,000 in commission compensation.

9. "Not your typical retail job"

I have been working at Blinds to Go full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No high pressure sales. A job that teaches you and helps you grow. The potential for earnings better than most retail stores.

Cons

Some stores long hours including weekends.

Advice to Management

continue working on staffing so we can alternate weekends.

"Culture of leadership through Fear"

I worked at Blinds to Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

competitive salary.
    OK PTO policy
    Good product/ easy to sell

Cons

Senior leadership leads completely on fear. The staff is led to believe they are powered to make decisions, however final decisions are solely that of the vice chair. Managers are glorified sales associates with keys to the building. Meetings are held where employees are belittled in front of their peers. it is not an environment conducive to personal/ professional growth. Most Managers are recent college grads with no experience, so they will not question the status quo. It is explained as a flat level organization, but it is anything but. There is also little honesty in the interview process when it comes to expectations and "training" for corporate roles. Its sad because the company could grow if it would get out of its own way.

Advice to Management

Be honest when interviewing/ hiring employees.
    Be open to a more diverse workforce
    Hire good people and let them contribute
    Stop bullying employees
    Have an actual staffing plan, the teams are burnt out because every store is understaffed.