Blink Music Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 14, 2017

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Bruhns

1. "Challenging and Extremely Rewarding"

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Blink Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as an unpaid intern while attending school and was never treated like a "typical intern". Tim is a true professional and an amazing mentor for anyone who is goal-oriented and is willing to put in the work to constantly improve (and not to mention, a world-class producer).

I am now a paid employee at Blink after having completed my internship and continue to be challenged on a daily basis, which is extremely rewarding. Tim leads by example in every sense of the word as he works 70+ hour weeks, which motivates the rest of the staff. He sets the bar high and has pushed me far beyond where I thought I could be both personally and professionally.

Throughout my time at Blink, I have learned valuable skills pertaining to marketing campaign development, salesmanship, public speaking, music production, Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop and Protools.

Cons

The culture at Blink is fast and goal-oriented and therefore may not be appealing to those who are not prepared for a challenging internship/career. However, I assure you that it is worth it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for the excellent internship and employment.

"Not Pleasant"

I worked at Blink Music as an intern

Pros

Tim, the owner, is a very talented musician.

Cons

No paid employees - everyone is an intern.
    Business is run out of an apartment building.
    It doesn't matter what you are hired for, marketing, PR, Graphic Design - you all work on the same tasks, you clean the apartment, and go hang up flyers.

Advice to Management

HIre a staff.

"World-class production quality, driven and competent team"

Former Employee - Recording Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Recording Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blink Music full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of New England’s best engineer - producer to interact with. Tim, the owner is extremely good in his field. Great environment, upscale, with day light and always fresh food. Fast, friendly, professional, knowledgeable team.

Cons

None other than the New England winter…I have learned great recording techniques and ability to handle different people and sessions. Demanding at times but priceless!

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction that you are going. I know you have big plans. Thanks a lot for the support!

"Waste of Time"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Blink Music (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want health advise or free "life coaching" as Tim like to call it you can definitely waste your time at blink

Cons

Unprofessional, No hands on experience, Tim is more focused on FITS than any other part of the company. If you're hired you'll probably run errands for him, clean his house or go flyering.
    If you ever have the rare opportunity to do some actual work you'll have to wait for hours before Tim gets back to you (sometimes he completely forgets about it)

Advice to Management

WAKE UP.
    There is a reason why so many people quit and the company doesn't have a single full-time or even part- time employee. Stop being so stubborn and start valuing other people's opinion. You can't be an expert at everything and especially not at social media and marketing.

"Unprofessional"

I worked at Blink Music as an intern

Pros

- Could be alright for anyone still in school, and for anyone who simply needs something on their resume
    - Located in a nice area

Cons

- Unprofessional
    - Six months unpaid? Get real.

I'd advise anyone to check out the other negative reviews of this company. There is a reason why they are marked as helpful.

Advice to Management

I would like to share my experience here:

So I was officially hired as an intern. However, days before my starting date, I was told that I needed to be interviewed again. Why? Because one of the guys who interviewed me left the company. Does that make sense? Is that right? Tim already gave me a starting date.

I spent so much time and money trying to get established in the area, and then suddenly I needed to be re-evaluated to be considered for the position. I was told to send in samples of my portfolio. I didn't bother. I'd rather not work with someone who can be that disrespectful towards me. Besides, I directly handed Tim my portfolio during my interview.

My advice towards management? Understand that some people, like me, will come a long way simply for an opportunity. Don't be disrespectful.

My advice for anyone considering working here? Make solid judgements and trust your instincts. If I had, I wouldn't have pursued this any longer.

"Amazing Summer Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blink Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Blink Music Studios is only on its way up. I started working for Blink this past summer, and let me tell you, you can get out of it, every and anything that you want. I put in a much effort and it really did pay off. For anyone who has not enjoyed their experience working at Blink, they must not have had proper expectations for this type of internship. Through working at Blink, employees can gain experience in essentially any field they wish. The audio production aspect of the studio is great. State of the art products and technology are amazing for any customer who may want lessons or products from Blink.

Work hours are very flexible, and work intentions can be modified based on what you are comfortable with or good at.

Cons

More intern organization would be necessary.
    More tasks should be clearer for employees.

Advice to Management

Tim is an incredibly talented and motivated manager of Blink. He is admirably passionate for the work he does. He may seem to beat to his own drum often, but I found this was motivating in working there. You have to give Blink your all if you're serious about working in music, and it WILL pay off greatly.

"A Great experience, very professional atmosphere"

Current Contractor - Freelance Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Contractor - Freelance Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Blink Music as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

High end quality hardware, very professional and a nicely organized environment.
    Here even the most qualified engineer can improve

Cons

If your looking for a stable position with no new challenges this would be a con. Blink is constantly evolving with enhancements in all aspects from quality to hardware and software. Standards here calls for one to stay sharp, current and creative. Every client calls for our most outstanding work.

"Five star studio, perfectionists"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Blink Music full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Five star studio, fast payment, excellent place to learn. Perfectionists.

Cons

Five star studio, chronic perfectionists. This can be a pain in the neck if you are not fully awake, friendly and alert. A lot is expected, Tim can get irritated and is not afraid to let people go, he has done that at times, worked alone rather than letting if the work quality get compromised. Blink needs flexible people that are quick. Pay is not super but ok. Had lots of satisfaction, engineered some of my best work at Blink. Results shine.

Advice to Management

Thanks for asking me to post my experience here. It's really pathetic, to see the message from an unpaid intern who was let go after a week of snottyness (thanks for sharing his story, still laughing..) Tim, Blink: Ignore the idiots, get your name out, invest in branding. Screen interns even more (see reviews from fired interns on this message board here), have them work in studios in NYC or LA before accepting them.

"High end equipment and high attrition rates"

Former Intern - Unpaid Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Unpaid Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Blink Music as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good arsenal of high-end audio equipment that you might be allowed to use for your own personal work, granted you know how to use them. Access to great software on fast computers, and your co-interns are a friendly, upbeat, great batch of young people. Not a bad place to connect with fellow musicians with similar aspirations.

Cons

While quite well-off and in possession of great hardware, Blink Music has no signed clients, no clients on the charts, and no successful albums out there with the producer's name on them. The clientele consists of wealthy but musically unsuccessful people, and the business focuses more on charging for use of the excellent hardware versus providing musical value to the client. Virtually all of Blink's "staff" are unpaid interns who get no training and are used for the skills they already have, serving to add to the company's value but receiving little in return. As an intern, you will not learn anything musical or anything you couldn't find out on Google, and you will probably end up doing "marketing" gruntwork (aka flyering), housemaid work, or tedious scoring that requires little to no creativity.

Advice to Management

Your concept of a "team" is selfish and one-sided, not to mention illegal. Your turnover rate is the highest I've seen in any studio and you are left short-staffed on talent, because musicians with real talent will quickly realize you add no value to them and are simply trying to take advantage. Hence they leave. If you focus on giving back to your interns rather than just taking advantage of what they can provide to you, you will form a true team that you can retain.

"Stagnant business model, Little to no training, doing employee-level work as an intern"

Former Intern - Unpaid Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Unpaid Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Blink Music as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like free rein, and if you like an endless supply of almonds to get you through an otherwise bleak and unproductive day.

Cons

ONE paid member of staff ONLY (The president), Everyone else is an intern.
    Many sessions and lessons etc manned purely by unpaid interns.
    Very little training + president is overbearing and temperamental.
    Extremely high intern/employee turnover rate (1 week was the quickest i'd seen)
    Unpaid interns independently (often) doing work that directly brings the company profit - e.g. someone pays for studio time and only unpaid interns are present to record, edit, program and produce the session.

Advice to Management

Given that your studio isn't considerably successful and works with mostly small-time clients, you should listen when your unpaid workers are discontent and ACTUALLY change.