Blinn College Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blinn College President and Ceo Mary Hensley
Mary Hensley

1. "Livestock Judging Coach"

Former Employee - Livestock Judging Coach in Brenham, TX
    Former Employee - Livestock Judging Coach in Brenham, TX

I worked at Blinn College (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with great people! The smaller class size and caliber of students was outstanding. Students were there to learn and gain knowledge prior to transferring to their 4 year institution of choice.

Cons

Smaller town that has a relatively high cost of living in regards to either rent or land purchase. The smaller atmosphere lends itself to everyone being involved in each activity.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and don't lose the personal one on one touch that your institution can provide. The people make the program and don't let that slide.

2. ""Outsiders" are not welcome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brenham, TX

I have been working at Blinn College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with taking time off.

Cons

If you're not a 3rd generation Brenhamite, you're an outsider. Your suggestions for any improvements are not welcome. Don't rock the boat, or make any waves; you will be black listed. THE BATHROOMS ARE NEVER CLEAN. THEY ARE DISGUSTING.

Advice to Management

First, clean the bathrooms. Then set up an anonymous suggestion system. You will lose good people because they will quickly figure out they cannot effect any positive change.

3. "Adjunct Professor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brenham, TX

I have been working at Blinn College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great job to get something down on your resume for future employment.

Cons

You will never move up, never get a pay raise, and be treated poorly because the people who are there full-time only protect themselves and others like them because the school is struggling financially. Students are numbers and are money. It is not our job to get them out, it's our job to keep them as long as possible.

Advice to Management

Investing in your faculty and students would foster relationships statewide and bring in more students.

"Little Known, Little Required."

Former Employee - Faculty in Brenham, TX
    Former Employee - Faculty in Brenham, TX

I worked at Blinn College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A select number of Blinn students displayed true academic discipline and a sincere striving for excellence.

Cons

A large number of Blinn students simply do not care. Certain Blinn instructors in certain departments reinforce this apathy. These instructors do not have expertise in their field, do not challenge students, and do not instill a passionate pursuit of knowledge. Certain Blinn personnel are not rewarded for their commitment to higher education, but rather for their commitment to student opinion (by way of evaluation points), and their deference to Blinn status quo mediocrity. The Bible states "To whom much has been given, much will be required." In fact, at Blinn, the opposite is true. "Little Known, Little Required" would be a far better motto for this institution. A happy-go-lucky, oblivious instructor with limited love of learning who goes with the flow (not unlike a dead fish) is supremely valued at Blinn over a teacher who raises the bar and vigorously boosts students to their maximum potential. Be advised that teachers who do not go the Blinn Way are not well received, and not well treated.

While there, I strove to impart a passionate love of learning and intellectual discipline in a field both creative and technical. In return, Blinn individuals sternly raised their voices towards me, tried to intimidate me, and shouted at me. The entire experience was vicious and mean-spirited, which unfortunately is not atypical there. One senior person (with negligible experience) even deliberately and forcefully thrust his hand towards my face. This individual was not reprimanded, but rather, strongly supported and defended, and in fact received accolades and a promotion.

Be careful with this place. Avoid it if you can. Be advised that this institution is full of the types of individuals who would gladly give Socrates the hemlock.

Advice to Management

During the hiring process, you should direct high quality individuals elsewhere, to other colleges and universities, so they do not waste their strength, efforts, and passion and Blinn. Their talents and commitment will be acknowledged and honored elsewhere. My true recommendation? Consider closing this school. It lost its way when it lost its Christian affiliation in 1937. Some good people remain, but many individuals without Christian values have permeated this college. If you are one of those amoral people, you should leave.

6. "Student worker-office support"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Bryan, TX

I worked at Blinn College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours to fit your class schedule, low stress, no taxes taken out of paycheck

Cons

Can only work 19 hours as a student, low pay

Advice to Management

Make sure that all of your management positions are proficient with Microsoft Office.

"Up and down"

Current Employee - Professor in Bryan, TX
    Current Employee - Professor in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Blinn College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, great place to live

Cons

Top administrators rotate through about every two years and change the goal line.
    The Board is composed of entrenched old world hill country patriarchs.

Advice to Management

Let go. You are not the center of the universe.

8. "Rough Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brenham, TX

I have been working at Blinn College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping students succeed; time off.

Cons

Lack of proven leadership; trouble keeping up with growth.

Advice to Management

Make decisions based on best interest of students, not individuals.

9. "Admin Asst"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Bryan, TX

I worked at Blinn College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great working environment Professors are really nice and easy to please

Cons

No cons to speak of

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give

10. "Bryan Campus Is A Power-House!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryan, TX

I worked at Blinn College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Bryan Campus is a great place to be-- it boasts 12,000+ students and classroom-focused faculty who go above and beyond their job descriptions to help students succeed. The Humanities Division has strong, home-grown leaders in key roles and collaborative faculty members.

I would not recommend joining the Brenham Campus if you are a young professor looking for challenging, fulfilling work. The Bryan Campus, though a commuter campus, is high energy, as the majority of students are focused on getting into A&M ASAP.

Cons

Administrative restructuring in the past 2 years has caused (or perhaps just exacerbated) deep rifts between many administrators and faculty members. The Brenham Campus vs. Bryan Campus divide can be a distractive nuisance, but hopefully the Board members and newly installed president will do the hard work necessary to distribute fair funds and acknowledgement across all campuses. There is much lip-service from top administrators, which can be extremely frustrating.

Advice to Management

Fair funding across campuses, less lip service, more faculty-centered and faculty-driven policies.

11. "Busy busy busy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, TX

I worked at Blinn College (Less than a year)

Pros

So much work to do, you are never bored. Most people are very down to earth and nice to talk to. Nice campus.

Cons

Sooooo much work to do. Too much for one person (and I am incredibly perfectionistic and an extremely efficient worker who loathes incompletion). I struggled to the point of near anxiety attack several times a week.

Advice to Management

Some of these positions truly need to be split up. No one should feel as anxious and tense as I did working there.