Blip Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

N/A
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good Company to work"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I have been working at Blip full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule,
    Office perks(Breakfast, video games, workout classes)
    Work with recent technologies and great working environment

Cons

Too much bureaucracy to make things work. There is less transparency from top managers to devs. product and management don't organize sometimes.

2. "Rush and fun"

I have been working at Blip full-time

Pros

You won't feel bored. It's a hard working company that is part of the a massive betting group. Every time work is a bit too much to handle, you can enjoy one of the perks of the PSs or other games around. Food is free at Blip, you get 25 days of holidays a year and a great pc/mac of your choice to work.

Cons

The group that bought Blip is hard to handle and it can get stressful at times as there's always a lot of money involved. Again, play a bit of a video game or eat something.

"BLIP *was* a good company to work at"

Former Employee - Fullstack Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Former Employee - Fullstack Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

Pros

Awesome Devs. Both in knowledge as in personallity; The company does try to hire likeminded developers.

Cons

It stops there. Everyone *else* the company hires does not fit into the Developers like-minded hive, and thus it's an all-out war to gain points with your PO, which in turn is trying to gain points with the person on top of him, and so on.

Also.. Your salary will only raise based on prospected expectation and random "liking bonus points". Have you been kissing butts lately? Welcome to the pay raise group :D

Advice to Management

Remove the PO-Proxy system BLIP has going on, The POs @ Portugal are just a soundbox for whatever the PO in England sends, and they do an awfull job at that.

5. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Tooling Support Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Former Employee - Tooling Support Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I worked at Blip full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, work hard play hard environment, many opportunities to learn from talented developers and a brilliant HR department.

Cons

Nothing specific for blip. Software development is a tough industry and strict deadlines and lack of communication between developers and management can lead to unnecessary entropy.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to the the people that develop the products that support the business. Do not isolate the context from business metrics.

6. "iOS Developer"

Former Employee - IOS Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Former Employee - IOS Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I worked at Blip full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's difficult to write them all. Almost everything on Blip is a Pro.
    Culture, Kitchen, Nap room, scooters, showers, communities, parties, bonuses, HR/Logistic team are awesome.

Cons

They dropped native iOS development in favour of the sluggish mobile web dev.

Advice to Management

Be aware of some messy delivery managers and product owners that cause entropy and conflicts

"Blip is a great place to evolve"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I have been working at Blip full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blip is a really great place to learn. The community shares in meetings new technologies, work that they have done. People have time for learning and evolve their technical skills, by taking a day just to learn, the ability to go to conferences and also provides online training, etc.

They value everyone's opinion, I think anyone can step ahead and speak without being ignored. I see managers listening to the engineers opinions when taking really important decisions on a daily basis.

The culture intrinsic in Blip is very good, and I've never for once regretted to wake up and go to work.

The company provides food although it pays the food allowance. It also provides teams budget which is awesome, amusements for the people to relax and parties.

Overall Blip is a great company.

Cons

Blip now is a big company, and, of course, with that comes some adversities.
    The development pace is very high and some people may feel over pressed.
    Change is constant and sometimes that is bad.

Advice to Management

Make sure the Blip's culture is present everyday even though the big growth the company is having.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Blip full-time

Pros

Blip has some amazing benefits not only monetary but also inside the office. At Blip you can enjoy second home spirit with a full equipped kitchen, a nap room, a playground and lots of amusements and still keep up with a challenging work everyday.

Cons

Too many management layers with no added value, specially middle management. Self-assertion is wrongly perceived as leadership capabilities which creates a gap between management and technology teams.

9. This is the end of reviews that meet your filter criteria (US - All Cities). Below you will find more reviews from other countries

10. "Great Place for learning"

Former Employee - Delivery Manager in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Former Employee - Delivery Manager in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

Pros

Great facilities, people and perks.

Cons

Growth is almost an obligation... if you oppose it you you feel it. It's not the best place for career stagnation.

"Good people don't stay too long in this company"

I worked at Blip full-time

Pros

- Free food and drinks
    - Team budget to spend on whatever you'd like
    - Budget to spend on conferences, courses, etc.
    - Summer parties
    - Winter parties
    - Halloween parties
    - Money

Cons

The people that stay, stay for the perks mentioned previously.
    Ever since the company got bought by Betfair, it's been a downward spiral full of bureaucracy, nepotism and just plain bad management that ultimately does not benefit the people who are actually keeping the business from collapsing: the Engineers.

If you're an Engineer or aspiring to be one, tread carefully: learn whatever you need to learn in this company and then move on. Make an effort to carve some time for you to look after your evolution in the trade. Because despite what the company tells you, they are not looking after your best interests, they have not invested in you. You've done it yourself, with or without fancy budgets.

If you need something done, apart from what you are hired to do, you have to do it yourself.

I'm not sure what happens when you're in a Management role, but the company sometimes had more managers than engineers on certain projects, that says something.

Advice to Management

Don't promote people to Senior Management roles that had no previous job experience in their entire lives, unless you are closely monitoring them.

Even when buying people out with perks and benefits, the good people, the ones that care more about creating and doing something good, they eventually leave.

A new approach must be set in order to improve employee loyalty, review the motivation factors, try something different than reverting back to old, exploitative, micro-management style practices.

Mergers are not the only way of sustaining a business.

"Blip is THE best place to work! We are amazing!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I have been working at Blip full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the benefits we have as Blippers, food, nap room, no schedules, teams budgets, parties, surprises and so on! Great autonomy given, everyone is always wiling to help and support.
    From all the companies I´ve worked this one is truly special. I work here for 1 year and a half and saw so many people develop, take new challenges and contribute to this amazing workplace. Everyone works with tremendous passion and deliver great results. I feel Blip as my company!

Cons

I only thing I remember is that we need an out side space with a lounge area! If we make this, that´s it, I´m moving to the office!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the people you have as you are doing, they make the diference in the company. Don´t be afraid to try new things, this is how we grow and learn! Keep rocking as you are doing!