Blitch Knevel Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Blitch Knevel Architects Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2015

4.4
Blitch Knevel Architects President 	Ronald B. Blitch, FAIA, FACHA (no image)
Ronald B. Blitch, FAIA, FACHA
  1. "great place for emerging professionals"

I have been working at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the firm makes a great effort to help interns move through their development with lunch and learns and full assistance with exam prep and costs.

Cons

lots of work and deadlines, always seems to be busy!

Advice to Management

work/life mgmt - keep working on this!

Blitch Knevel Architects2015-07-05
  2. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Architect in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BKA really is a great place to work. The firm has undergone a major transformation over the past few years and things keep improving. A recent office renovation has opened up the studio space, allowing better communication and mobility for the entire staff- admin, architects, designers, and spec writers alike. Senior staff are approachable while an increase in younger staff members bring fresh ideas and energy to... the office. The firm supports staff growth and communication both in-house and outside of the office: weekly scrum meetings, Thursday open forum happy hour, WIA conferences, AIA events, and IDP support to name a few. My experience at BKA has allowed me substantial professional growth.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult in this profession as a whole. I think there could be stronger effort to make sure employees stay happy and feel appreciated- including management. Delegating tasks and responsibility would help cut down on individuals feeling over-worked, as well as keeping up with the Thursday forums, team lunches, and office social events that bring us all together.

Advice to Management

The management does a great job and works extremely hard- their vision for the future of the firm is promising. Continue open communication and empower your employees. Keep up with the things that make BKA a great place to work and expound upon them. Providing more opportunities for team & social events would improve office relationships, comradeship, and firm culture. Sometimes it's the small things that make a... big difference.

Blitch Knevel Architects2014-07-22

"This is my second tenure here at the firm and I agree that it is definitely one of the best places to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We strive to always work as a team and include all of the employees in most everything that we do from team lunches to field trips to job sites.

Cons

The pace of work is usually very quick and at times we get so busy we forget to spend time with our co-workers.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop procedures and standards that the entire staff can relate to and include staff whenever possible in some of the discussions related to keeping Blitch Knevel Architects the best place to work.

Blitch Knevel Architects2014-07-14
  4. "Great Company - Great Job"

Former Employee - Project Architect in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Blitch Knevel for 4 years from 2006-2010 - after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans - the work was intense, because the needs of the city were great - but the atmosphere and firm esprit de corps established by Ron and Ken made the work fun. This is the best place I have ever worked!

Cons

hard work but great pay, bonuses were very generous and made up for the pressure.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to improve and develop young talent - The AIA IDP Firm of the Year award and the new honors for the Intern Think Tank and Ron's NCARB presidency are great for the firm and the profession!

Blitch Knevel Architects2014-07-04
  5. "Great job experience"

Former Employee - Project Architect in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have reviewed the other glass door reviews of Blitch Knevel and agree that this is a great place to work. I worked in the post Katrina years when business was booming, which made the stress very high, but the work environment was satisfying and the pace energetic.

Cons

There was an office "clique" of two or three individuals that was a problem, but they are all gone now, and I know that made the work environment 100% better.

Advice to Management

Keep developing young talent and supporting IDP - Ron's NCARB presidency brought great prestige to the firm and the profession, and the AIA IDP Firm of the Year award was well deserved.

Blitch Knevel Architects2014-07-04
  6. "It really is a great place to work"

I have been working at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture has improved tremendously over the last few years. There has been a focused effort to create a better culture and it actually worked. It has been exciting to watch the positive changes take place. Very pleasant group of coworkers - everyone gets along well and treats each other respectfully. A lot of technology upgrades in the last year - nice to work with the latest, greatest software and powerful... computers. Communication and teamwork has improved with Monday morning scrum meetings, weekly open forums, monthly team lunches, quarterly field trips to completed projects and yearly off-site team meetings. Love having flexibility to work from home when needed.

Cons

It's a busy firm (which is really a pro) so workload is usually heavy and you have to be able to multi-task very well.

Blitch Knevel Architects2014-04-24
  7. "Recent history so different from a few years ago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time

Pros

Higher salaries than most offices in city Good benefits Most projects and efforts are interesting and have great clients attached

Cons

Difficult personalities in some of upper management New level of leadership may not have skills to continue firm's success Can be very stressful at times Little appreciation for worker effort Stability of office and its future is a concern since last year when critical staff were lost

Advice to Management

Attempt to understand the younger/current employees instead of quoting stories from the 80's

Blitch Knevel Architects2013-10-07
  8. "Started well, last few years more chaotic"

Former Employee - Intern Architect in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

reliable clients nice office pay is average to better than average compared to rest of city as everyone is compensated to deal with a few difficult personalities

Cons

unstable work climate retirement of one owner/uncertain future new leadership unqualified

Advice to Management

listen to employees instead of mimicking everything one person in leadership is saying treat long term employees better than brand new hires

Blitch Knevel Architects2012-11-01
  9. "Best Places to Work well deserved"

I have been working at Blitch Knevel Architects full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The firm recently transitioned to 2 new associate principals that are transforming the company from a group of small working studio groups to a more collaborative team approach. The departure of an very negative associate principal a couple of years ago have vastly improved the firm's culture for the better - resulting in the Best Place to Work award this year

Cons

The company is busy and making new hires to accommodate growing workload - but it's hard to keep up - but it's better to be busy than not

Blitch Knevel Architects2014-04-24