Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a work environment to fully 'embrace your inner geek" you don't need to look any further" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expensive cost of living in the surrounding area; the company does subsidize healthy food options in their cafe and vending machines in each building" (in 29 reviews)

• "You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance"" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture and Passion for hand-crafted, high quality gaming experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employees bleed passion. They embrace the 8 core values wholeheartedly and live and breath it.
    -Opportunities for learning and growth. The company has grown quickly over the past few years and there are opportunities beyond just game development! eSports, Consumer Products, Story and Franchise Development and more.
    -Limited hierarchy, everyone pitches in and has a voice, and focused on meritocracy
    -You can be yourself. You don't have to be a gaming geek, there are foodies, pet lovers, table top gamers, tinkerers and so many other interests that you can share with others

Cons

-Company is more of a start up-feel and there's a greater need for more process and documentation, however, not to the point where we are taking away from the creativity and to get things done
    -It takes time to learn the Blizzard way of doing things, but there's a positive in this as everyone understands this and gives new hires a chance to really absorb the culture and build relationships without being thrown into the fire

Advice to Management

-Never forget the roots of the organization, the creativity and focus on quality, but realize that we need to catch up in certain areas as well

2. "Fun"

Pros

This is company is really nice to work for. Lots of hours tho

Cons

Not really any cons to this job if you love what you do

"The job was amazing. The management, less so."

Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for my favorite gaming company, good office location, got to work with many like-minded individuals, free games, and a plethora of other benefits.

Cons

The management doesn't care about the individual. I was placed on a shift that I was physically struggling to maintain and, even though I'd gone to my management about the problems I had multiple times, I was never offered any help. I was removed from special projects after being given impossible ultimatums and ultimately fired because of mistakes I was making due to a deteriorating physical and mental health.

Advice to Management

Care about your reps. Please. I wasn't the last person this happened to since I was fired, and I'm sure there are others currently suffering. Depression and anxiety are real things that should be taken seriously. Especially when a rep with good numbers starts to slip -- help lift them up instead of kicking them to the curb without so much as a Final Written Warning.

*Prior to being fired, I was not on a Final Warning. I went from a Verbal to terminated with no chance to speak up to defend myself, and though I was constantly reaching out for help with the situation I was in, no help from my leadership was given.

**A side note, it appears that my previous review had been deleted by the employer earlier this summer. Trying to sweep bad reviews under the rug is indicative of a sour leadership and HR team. I'll keep re-posting my review, as that is my right to do so.

4. "Manager"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and open minded workplace.

Cons

Several managers/employees that are not qualified to hold their positions but received promotions because they worked there for more than 5 year. This is not the case with the game dev departments just the support departments.

"Like an awesome game with a terrible tutorial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free games, a lot of amenities on campus, being involved with one of the most beloved game developers in the world.

Cons

This is not indicative of any game dev teams, more has to do with the STEM field. I really wanted to like working at Blizzard, but within a few month of me joining my position had changed and neither the 1st or 2nd team really gave me a good onboarding to have a base understanding of how they expect work to be executed on. Instead of management giving me guidance, which I asked for several times, they steered my projects out from under me which really left me no choice but to leave the company out of pure frustration. "Play nice; Play fair" was never in consideration for the teams I was on.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on growing your team members; have some faith in their growth as well as what their previous background may bring to the company.

"Kindest & most authentic company I've worked for"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Truly cares about making the best games they can, and bringing people together

Cons

None so far- It's exactly what I was looking for

7. "Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - ESports Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - ESports Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the ability to create a vision and execute it in its entirety. The work environment is also great and some of the smartest and most passionate people on the planet work here. Plus people bring their dogs to work.

Cons

Its overwhelming at times because its not a cookie cutter company

8. "It's everything you think it is"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment, awesome tools, awesome people. Can't overstate the power of working on the games that you grew up playing.

Cons

Most technical jobs are only in Austin and Irvine (in the US)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Cliche but it really is legendary"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The level of passion and skill that the majority of the people at Blizzard share make coming to work an pleasure. Every team I ever interfaced with it was apparent in most cases that we were on the same page even though we were on different teams. The collaborative spirit that is distilled from the top down around org goals that then get extended to division goals helps ensure that the right job gets done.

Cons

At least in the past (depending on the division one was in) the fact that you worked for Blizzard in many cases was used as a point in compensation and it helped skew compensation packages on the low side. Dev teams were/are mostly immune to this but some of the more general purpose roles were not. This may have improved in the last 3-4 years in order to retain talent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the little things that make people thrilled and honored to work there.

10. "Sound"

Former Employee - Want Led to BE A Producer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Want Led to BE A Producer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment - challenging and personally rewarding

Cons

Understaffing creates work overload, which in turn becomes burnout

Advice to Management

Hire more people, increase salaries to be competive within the Industry. Promote the worthy, not the kiss butt, do nothings!!