Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance (in 35 reviews)

• If you are looking for a work environment to fully 'embrace your inner geek" you don't need to look any further (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries are palatable but doesn't really fit the cost of living in Irvine, CA or Los Angeles (in 29 reviews)

• You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture and Passion for hand-crafted, high quality gaming experiences"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employees bleed passion. They embrace the 8 core values wholeheartedly and live and breath it.
    -Opportunities for learning and growth. The company has grown quickly over the past few years and there are opportunities beyond just game development! eSports, Consumer Products, Story and Franchise Development and more.
    -Limited hierarchy, everyone pitches in and has a voice, and focused on meritocracy
    -You can be yourself. You don't have to be a gaming geek, there are foodies, pet lovers, table top gamers, tinkerers and so many other interests that you can share with others

Cons

-Company is more of a start up-feel and there's a greater need for more process and documentation, however, not to the point where we are taking away from the creativity and to get things done
    -It takes time to learn the Blizzard way of doing things, but there's a positive in this as everyone understands this and gives new hires a chance to really absorb the culture and build relationships without being thrown into the fire

Advice to Management

-Never forget the roots of the organization, the creativity and focus on quality, but realize that we need to catch up in certain areas as well

"Best place to work in So Cal"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented peers creative geniuses and quality products you can be genuinely proud to be associated with. Inspiring workspaces and great benefits.

Cons

Can be hard for new people to acclimate to the very established culture. Sometimes having a lot of tenured people is a plus, sometimes it can feel like it’s hard to make changes.

Advice to Management

Keep the quality bar high.

3. "Blizzard is an amazing place to work!"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard has a ton of awesome things going for it. The environment is great, and you will work with a whole bunch of people who are the best in the world at what they do.

Cons

Internal mobility, promotion opportunity, and growth in general are very limited. Don't take "a" job at Blizzard just to work here—focus on getting the job you want.

Advice to Management

It would be enormously helpful if more people in management and leadership worked on helping people identify and track toward *careers*, rather than just hiring people to do jobs.

4. "Embracing Your Inner Geek"

Current Employee - Senior Cinematic Artist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Cinematic Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here for over 11 years now, and one of the things that stand out is our wonderful CEO, Mike Morhaime, who is not only approachable, but one of us. He cares about each department, each employee, as a gamer, and as a person. I've never felt out of place here, being a minority in many ways, and it's due to the culture he's instilled from the top down since he created this company. Thanks Mike!

Cons

We've grown so much since I joined, and because of that, there are more people I see around campus that I don't know their name as much as I'd want to. But that's just an inevitable fact for a constantly growing and successful company.

Advice to Management

Employee mixer events such as Art Summit that recently happened, are great ways to connect a coworker with another in a growing company. Instead of having that bi yearly, shorten it to yearly instead. I had a wonderful time yesterday!

5. "A game company that does it right"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the moment I started here, I felt finally at home. I've had several jobs at major tech companies before now, but none of them ever felt like they were invested in me as a developer. Blizzard invested in me right away, offering more compensation than I asked for, and treating me as a valuable team member from day one.

Every day I work here is fun, I get to be a flat out nerd and be surrounded by other flat out nerds. I am surrounded by co-workers who value eachother's input.

As a member of the LGBT community, it was excited to find that I was not the only one in my immediate vicinity. My team is wildly diverse in every way, and it was the first time I was on a team that was majority women in tech.

Cons

Getting hired can be difficult unless you know someone inside the company.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone cares about fellow employees and wants them to exceed wherever possible. Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance.

Cons

Slow to go through approval processes.
    Cost of living in the area is outrageous.

7. "Everything it's Cracked Up to Be."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Blizzard's been a phenomenal experience. The folks who work here all have a vested interest in the company and the products it makes, so the drive and pride people have to make sure things are done right is unlike what I've seen at other companies.

The camaraderie between departments and focus on the company's core values is also great to see, since core values at companies typically don't get brought up much past orientation. The efforts to consistently improve process is also welcoming.

Cons

The company's working on building good process alongside growth in a lot of areas. Continue to focus on improving process in areas where it's underdeveloped, and ensure work life balance is maintained in periods of growth.

Advice to Management

Great job! You're as invested in the company and its products as us, which is great to see. Keep up the good work.

8. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Top notch health benefits (have literally saved my life...and bank account), great laid back and comfortable (but productive!) culture, recognition of internal talent and opportunity to evolve and promote (I have been able to work my up from front line CS to other teams and positions through hard work and supportive management), executive team that genuinely cares about their employees (talk to people face to face, and core values that I can agree with and respect on a personal level).

Cons

Communication and collaboration across the different global offices can sometimes be lacking.

9. "Amazing Company - Best Ever"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people - epic games.
    Awesome benefits.
    Awesome gifts and rewards.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I love working here.

"It's All About The People"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, generally, are awesome.

It's a collaborative, geeky, fun, environment where shared passions and a relaxed vibe contribute to making you feel at home and at ease.

Great healthcare. Average 401(k). Awesome non-traditional benefits, like an on-campus Boot Camp exercise program, yoga, sword fighting, chiropractor, sweet events (champagne toasts, trips to Vegas, celebrations, company outings, etc). There's likely even more I'm not aware of.

Nice office environment. Modern (though a little cramped for some teams).

Rewarding work.

Cons

Irvine is expensive.

Cronyism rampant at upper echelons of management.

Predominantly male, and despite a diversity program to change that it's definitely harder for women at Blizzard (women are "bossy" while men are "assertive"). There's also a distinct avoidance of confrontation from some weaker middle management, so some behavior is ignored for the sake of not rocking the boat or having to have a difficult conversation. That's not to say it's vitriolic, just that when things do go wrong (as of course they will at any company), it feels like it's swept under the rug rather than addressed.

Labyrinthine approval process. Everyone is a stakeholder. Slow.

Politics, again at upper management.