Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance" (in 35 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a work environment to fully 'embrace your inner geek" you don't need to look any further" (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expensive cost of living in the surrounding area; the company does subsidize healthy food options in their cafe and vending machines in each building" (in 29 reviews)

• "You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance"" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture and Passion for hand-crafted, high quality gaming experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employees bleed passion. They embrace the 8 core values wholeheartedly and live and breath it.
    -Opportunities for learning and growth. The company has grown quickly over the past few years and there are opportunities beyond just game development! eSports, Consumer Products, Story and Franchise Development and more.
    -Limited hierarchy, everyone pitches in and has a voice, and focused on meritocracy
    -You can be yourself. You don't have to be a gaming geek, there are foodies, pet lovers, table top gamers, tinkerers and so many other interests that you can share with others

Cons

-Company is more of a start up-feel and there's a greater need for more process and documentation, however, not to the point where we are taking away from the creativity and to get things done
    -It takes time to learn the Blizzard way of doing things, but there's a positive in this as everyone understands this and gives new hires a chance to really absorb the culture and build relationships without being thrown into the fire

Advice to Management

-Never forget the roots of the organization, the creativity and focus on quality, but realize that we need to catch up in certain areas as well

"Overall a great place to work"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

The best thing about Blizzard is the people—people are passionate, driven, smart and kind. While it's difficult to make such a blanket statement, for the most part it's been true. If you want a place where people are more than coworkers and you get to do what you're passionate about alongside people who are passionate about their areas too.

Cons

It is definitely a place that's very dependent on who you know. While that's easy for some, for others it is not. It is not necessarily a con depending on how you see it, but opportunities are dependent on this—where is it not?

Merit is taken into consideration too but not without your network.

3. "Promotions are political"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free games
    Two company events per year

Cons

Promotions depend almost purely on your social network at the company
    Internal mobility is too limited

Advice to Management

Make promotion requirements more clear and constant across all groups within the company.

4. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate PR Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate PR Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Very satisfied.

Cons

Promotion opportunities seem to be limited.

"Loyalty means nothing"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well.
    Work in game industry

Cons

Not enough head count for what they want done. Won't hire more people. I did the work of 4 engineers. I temporary left and they said I could come back. In 2 weeks they didn't want me back when I gave them 8 years of my life.

Advice to Management

Hire more engineers.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work life balance
    - Incredibly intelligent peers
    - Family atmosphere

Cons

- Heavy meeting culture
    - Overwhelming volume of projects on occasion

7. "Great company"

Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, open work space, that allows for a lot of free expression. The company provides many amenities to allow comfort while working. The position does have a rather fair pay grade for an entry level customer support position, but with a lot of extra goodies and gifts given.

Cons

The work itself can be rather stressful at times, while also taking into account the metric requirements that must be met. The position can take some getting used to, and requires the applicant to be very open to changing their customer support approach.

"Good Culture, Terrible Pay"

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great culture and great people.

Cons

Keep your pay in line with the industry and also the area. Irvine is wildly expensive, pay people competitively for the cost of living. Nepotism is a very frequent practice within most teams I noticed.

"Amazing Company but Needs More Opportunities and More Consistent Management"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blizzard is an amazing company - when you hear about people talk about the Blizzard family, that is 100% true. This is a company that inspires passion, dedication, and strong, lasting bonds with each other and the community. We set the bar high and we crush it; we play hard (not on the clock, of course) and we work hard. Blizzard treats us to two yearly parties, philanthropy opportunities, and is highly dedicated to our own personal growth - there are opportunities to work in other departments, to shadow and receiving mentoring, to build skills; we get sponsored Toastmasters and training on new products or tool changes; and we are provided various on-site classes/sessions for self-improvement. The benefits are also very, very good, I certainly have no complaints there.

Cons

Competition to leave CS is fierce, which means that it can take many, many years to get promoted or to switch departments, especially in the Austin office because of limited departments/options. While Blizzard hires internally a lot, leaving Austin means having to move to California, where cost of living is enormously high and wages are not offset sufficiently to make it feasible (imo).

Blizzard says they pay based on cost of labor (not cost of living), but they seem to really lowball highly skilled people. They seem to live on the nerd factor, where people are lined up to get a job and are willing to get paid less just to work for Blizzard. This ultimately hurts wages because they can get people for cheaper, have them do more for less, and they are unwilling to leave because it's Blizzard.

Latin America departments are paid a differential due to language skills, but differentials don't often carry to other roles. This means that getting "promoted" can lead to a significant loss in salary.

Once management has an opinion of you, it is very, very hard to get them to change that and progress in the company can be halted because of one or two very influential managers. Some managers also play favorites and trash talk previous employees. Even though Blizzard as a 0 retaliation policy, fear of retaliation/lack of change is still very strong if this is brought up.

Managers aren't always consistent in regards to what is important - some are very data driven and micromanage, others prefer a more broad view type of coaching.

Shift work that isn't affected by your ranking, which means you can be an awesome employee, but get stuck with a terrible shift for a year until the next shift change. Reversely, also mean that some terrible employees get great shifts, or some people manage to get repeatedly good hours or weekends, while better workers don't.

Advice to Management

Metrics and numbers are always important, but don't overlook a strong, independent, knowledgeable worker for someone with strong numbers, but who is completely incapable of doing their own work. This leads to frustration when the supposedly less-qualified person has to constantly coach the supposedly more-qualified ones.

Likewise, please crack down harder on lazy employees. There's no excuse for lazy work.

More consistency in coaching - a manager can make or break someone's experience and enjoyment of a job. No one should feel the need to leave because their manager isn't providing them the sort of coaching/experience they need to be successful in their role.

More transparency and honesty! Too many closed door conversations and decisions related to employee management. I've literally been told by past supervisors that "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but..." or "I know that what I'm asking of you is frustrating, but while I can't say why, please trust that I'm asking this for a reason" when it comes to manager expectations that I may be failing on, which should never, ever happen. If we don't know what's wrong, we can't fix it, and having information pertaining to us hidden from us is just a recipe for failure.

10. "Great place to work that is going over a lot of changes"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great executive team, amazing perspective in the horizon, great products, really awesome work-life balance.

Cons

The company grew a lot over the last years and things are still settling-in.