Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance" (in 35 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a work environment to fully 'embrace your inner geek" you don't need to look any further" (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Orange County is expensive and salaries do not quite reflect the cost of living" (in 29 reviews)

• "You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance"" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture and Passion for hand-crafted, high quality gaming experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employees bleed passion. They embrace the 8 core values wholeheartedly and live and breath it.
    -Opportunities for learning and growth. The company has grown quickly over the past few years and there are opportunities beyond just game development! eSports, Consumer Products, Story and Franchise Development and more.
    -Limited hierarchy, everyone pitches in and has a voice, and focused on meritocracy
    -You can be yourself. You don't have to be a gaming geek, there are foodies, pet lovers, table top gamers, tinkerers and so many other interests that you can share with others

Cons

-Company is more of a start up-feel and there's a greater need for more process and documentation, however, not to the point where we are taking away from the creativity and to get things done
    -It takes time to learn the Blizzard way of doing things, but there's a positive in this as everyone understands this and gives new hires a chance to really absorb the culture and build relationships without being thrown into the fire

Advice to Management

-Never forget the roots of the organization, the creativity and focus on quality, but realize that we need to catch up in certain areas as well

2. "Great place to work that is going over a lot of changes"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great executive team, amazing perspective in the horizon, great products, really awesome work-life balance.

Cons

The company grew a lot over the last years and things are still settling-in.

3. "Amazing Company but Needs More Opportunities and More Consistent Management"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blizzard is an amazing company - when you hear about people talk about the Blizzard family, that is 100% true. This is a company that inspires passion, dedication, and strong, lasting bonds with each other and the community. We set the bar high and we crush it; we play hard (not on the clock, of course) and we work hard. Blizzard treats us to two yearly parties, philanthropy opportunities, and is highly dedicated to our own personal growth - there are opportunities to work in other departments, to shadow and receiving mentoring, to build skills; we get sponsored Toastmasters and training on new products or tool changes; and we are provided various on-site classes/sessions for self-improvement. The benefits are also very, very good, I certainly have no complaints there.

Cons

Competition to leave CS is fierce, which means that it can take many, many years to get promoted or to switch departments, especially in the Austin office because of limited departments/options. While Blizzard hires internally a lot, leaving Austin means having to move to California, where cost of living is enormously high and wages are not offset sufficiently to make it feasible (imo).

Blizzard says they pay based on cost of labor (not cost of living), but they seem to really lowball highly skilled people. They seem to live on the nerd factor, where people are lined up to get a job and are willing to get paid less just to work for Blizzard. This ultimately hurts wages because they can get people for cheaper, have them do more for less, and they are unwilling to leave because it's Blizzard.

Latin America departments are paid a differential due to language skills, but differentials don't often carry to other roles. This means that getting "promoted" can lead to a significant loss in salary.

Once management has an opinion of you, it is very, very hard to get them to change that and progress in the company can be halted because of one or two very influential managers. Some managers also play favorites and trash talk previous employees. Even though Blizzard as a 0 retaliation policy, fear of retaliation/lack of change is still very strong if this is brought up.

Managers aren't always consistent in regards to what is important - some are very data driven and micromanage, others prefer a more broad view type of coaching.

Shift work that isn't affected by your ranking, which means you can be an awesome employee, but get stuck with a terrible shift for a year until the next shift change. Reversely, also mean that some terrible employees get great shifts, or some people manage to get repeatedly good hours or weekends, while better workers don't.

Advice to Management

Metrics and numbers are always important, but don't overlook a strong, independent, knowledgeable worker for someone with strong numbers, but who is completely incapable of doing their own work. This leads to frustration when the supposedly less-qualified person has to constantly coach the supposedly more-qualified ones.

Likewise, please crack down harder on lazy employees. There's no excuse for lazy work.

More consistency in coaching - a manager can make or break someone's experience and enjoyment of a job. No one should feel the need to leave because their manager isn't providing them the sort of coaching/experience they need to be successful in their role.

More transparency and honesty! Too many closed door conversations and decisions related to employee management. I've literally been told by past supervisors that "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but..." or "I know that what I'm asking of you is frustrating, but while I can't say why, please trust that I'm asking this for a reason" when it comes to manager expectations that I may be failing on, which should never, ever happen. If we don't know what's wrong, we can't fix it, and having information pertaining to us hidden from us is just a recipe for failure.

"Working at Blizzard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible company and culture. Experience varies on which department you work in.

Cons

Politics is still a problem, old boys run certain departments. QA is a garbage fire.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and get rid of old, lazy employees. Just because they've been there for 10+ years doesn't mean they're good.

5. "Typical big video game studio"

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

- Work on Blizzard titles
    - Cool people to work with

Cons

- Low pay, try to compensate with "Blizzard Bucks"
    - If not in dev, you are in a lower tier

6. "Awesome"

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment part-time

Pros

It would be awesome to do the coding of WOW

Cons

Farther away from family that is really it

"Amazing Workplace and fantastic leadership!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard does a lot of things well. I know we're not a perfect company but the leadership team here definitely do A LOT of things very very well. First off, top leadership is very candid and transparent with the rest of the company. I'm not in a management or top leadership position but I feel just as much as part of the great vision of the company as if I was a top leader.

Their willingness to be open with us and transparent makes all of us that much more confident in the direction of the company and really creates a high level of respect that we have for our management team.

Cons

Perhaps the 401k match could be better. Would also be nice if we had some kind of child care for parents with kids but aside from that... It's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep on going what you're doing. Blizzard will continue to grow and we'll only get better as the years go on!

"Best Company to work for"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Here at Blizzard, you feel at home. Surrounded by amazing people and dogs that would make your day even more better. The campus is great and has a college campus feel to it. What makes working here at Blizzard even better, is the leaders and employee relationship. It's definitely One Blizzard!

Cons

We need a dog park :)

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard is such a relationship driven company. It's refreshing to see a company that prides itself on that first. Mike M has great vision for the company and I feel most of the organization follows in his beliefs. I've experienced incredible growth and satisfaction in my role(s) and don't think I could have had as many opportunities anywhere else.

Cons

Things move a little slow but that's typical with any company going through growth. You need to make the right decisions and that often times takes some time to get there.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. We're growing and moving in the right direction so something's working!

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and a cool office

Cons

Disgusting scams implemented in code which would make you sick.