Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Pros
Cons
  • The pay wasn't great, especially for the cost of living in Southern California (in 24 reviews)

• You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance" (in 15 reviews)

"Great for young adults, but you'll eventually mature past CS."

Former Employee - Tier III Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tier III Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic job for those just getting started in the workplace.
    GREAT medical benefits, bonuses, and perks.
    Incredibly fun environment where performance is constantly recognized and awarded for.
    Excellent new hire and continuing training.
    Core values are actually carried through the workday. They're not just lip service!

Cons

Work environment HIGHLY depends on which managers you're working with.
    Not much control over what shift you'll be assigned to in frequent shift bids.
    If you're a woman, expect to work a little harder to have your voice heard.
    At the end of the day, customer service is a call center. It's not intended to sustain someone as a lifelong career unless you hit management or transition into another department.
    Not much work-life balance for parents - unexpected absences or school calls count as an attendance hit, no employee benefits to help with childcare expenses.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. People are friendly, everyone love playing games. It is a 100% nerd environment.

VanPool is a great option for those who live in LA County for example. I moved closer to Irvine a while back because they did not have a vanpool option. Now that they do it opens options to move elsewhere if I wish. I likely won't but it's good to have more options.

Freebies and swag are great.

Cons

Rapid growth means growing pains. I have other companies grow this fast and it can be difficult to hold your core values as you diversify in talent.

Housing cost in Orange County is outrageous. It's about $400-800/sq foot or about 2500-2800 for rentals ranging in the 1000 square foot range. This requires your base pay to be around 80k for a single person. More likely 100-120k for 2-3, 130k for a family of 4. This means that both parents likely need to be working.

The health benefits are expensive compared to other companies and what you get from them. though the recent changes are better, they are not as good as what most of the comparable industry friends tell me.

Bonuses are great and get slightly larger the longer you are at blizzard. But the increases seem to have stagnated and stayed flat for a while now. It is still going up but not at the same rate as the first few years I was working. This maybe an individual thing.

Food options on campus just recently got slightly better. But expect to pay around $10 per meal on campus or in any of the locations in Irvine.

OC traffic has increased significantly in the past few years. A 20 minute commute consistently is now more like 40-50 during morning and evening rush hour. This means population growth is rapid in the area. Just in my area alone several condos and large rental units have been built all along my commute. Rapid growth means freeway and road congestion.

If it takes you 1 hour to commute and the pay is less than what you can get working in LA for example, it makes it hard for new talent to consider employment, and as the commutes and cost of living rise you risk loosing great talent as well (already starting to see this happen).

Irvine also suffers from rapid growing pains. Many new companies are moving in. The landscape is changing at a significant rate.

Advice to Management

Don't hide all the decisions you are making that effect daily life of employees. This can be counter productive and creates unnecessary tension.

Fix your review process. For 2 years emails and surveys say you are doing just that. But the proposed idea is not much different then the current review process. Some management say the review does not impact bonus. Be more transparent on exactly how the bonus and merit is calculated. Most people are ignoring the reviews for 2 reasons, the review once written can't or won't be changed based on feedback from the individual and questioning the profit sharing process is frowned upon.

It's fantastic we get profit sharing. But honestly, if we have a bad profit year or years, profit sharing would suddenly go away. Counting on a bonus to make ends meet I'm sure is not what blizzard wants in the end. And some heavily rely on the bonus.

3. "Great place to work; Loads of benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Dedicated and talented teammates made delivering high-quality features under aggressive timelines significantly easier.
    - Fantastic work-life balance
    - Many and varied benefits ranging from on-site fitness camps to on-campus art and programming workshops for professional or personal development

Cons

- Pay was not competitive and advancement was difficult

4. "Game master"

Former Contractor - Game Master in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Game Master in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It was the best work environment! I worked 3rd shift and we would play games after lunch at work. We would run around the cubicles and try to get a ball past bases that were set up at either end of the office. We are computer geeks so I suppose they wanted us to get some exercise! XD They would bring in food for lunch or dinner when we were in crunch time, free soda, and you get to work for BLIZZARD! Thats a pro in and of itself!

Cons

The pay. It was on the lower end but the perks made up for it, in my mind. I was a temp through Volt for only 9 months. Management did not give ANY direction as to how to be a game master. I struggled with that. I was not sure how to handle certain situations so I would ask my supervisor. This would take up time that I could have been working!

Advice to Management

Better training for the game master team in regard to how to handle yourself online and in difficult situations.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Hard. but Worth the challenge.

Cons

The industry game crunch. tight deadlines

"An amazing place to work, that's hitting its stride"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

- Industry leader in gaming
    - Great work culture and a focus on work/life balance
    - Incredible awards for years of service
    - Numerous employee appreciation events
    - Vacation/Time-Off is very competitive compared to other companies in the industry

Cons

- Parts of the company foster a mentality of leaving and then coming back to get to the job level that you want to be versus providing the opportunity to learn and grow
    - Career growth and skills matrices aren't clearly defined
    - Many decisions are made by committee, which can lead to drawn out deadlines and a lack of precision in execution.

Advice to Management

Continue to be advocates the company culture and remember to invest in high performers

"Game Master"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and can be a fun place to work.

Cons

Work is repetitive but not bad.

"Incredible opportunities for growth while surrounded by brilliant colleagues"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Working with the best of the best in the industry (HR / talent acquisition specifically)
    + Bring your dog to work (more of a perk but definitely makes the 40+ hour work week more enjoyable)
    + If you're a go-getter (with an awesome manager willing to go to bat for you), you're afforded TONS of opportunities to grow personally and professionally whether it's continued education, capacity expanding projects, or innovative/cutting edge projects

Cons

+ Retention: I think most companies may be experiencing this particular pain point so I don't think it's a unique issue to Blizzard.

Advice to Management

Level up the comp strategy to attract top tech talent so that we can go to head to head with other big names in tech (the Amazon's, Google's, Microsoft's of the world) and prevent poaching.

"Best Work Environment"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is casual and Team oriented. I think executives do the right thing to benefit as many people as possible. There are 4 medical insurance options and 2 dental care options for Full-Time permanent employees, as well as 401K offering and a tuition reimbursement progam. A Work/ Life balance is encouraged. They offer paid compassion leave and parental leave. Services such as Flu shots, wellness exams, chiropractors, car washes and more come to work so you don't have to go to them. There is a cafeteria on site offering farm to fork, Gluten Free and Vegan options as main dishes everyday.

Cons

Cons depend on the position and team. You must be quick and learn fast and be able to adapt. If a project or artwork you're working on gets scrapped or is subject to harsh feedback, you have to bounce back. Also, Must Play Games; if you don't play video games and don't care to, you may feel out of touch with the rest of the culture.

Advice to Management

Don't fall out of touch with the average employee. They want to be treated like your best customers.

"Excellent Company, excellent beliefs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company really seems to care about you as an individual - your growth, your personal time off, the fact that you have a life outside of work. The review process is solid and communication is very clear and direct with superiors. As a campus, the amenities are great and they have been recently updated.

Cons

Compensation tends to be lower than other companies, and there is a real disconnect between teams in terms of company culture. A person on one game dev team may have a vastly different company work environment experience to someone else on another dev team.