Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Blizzard Entertainment Reviews

Updated February 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The benefits are generous and there is a good attempt at encouraging work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• C'mon which work environment allows you to be yourself, bring your pets, and dress in shorts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Blizzard is slightly above the low bar but it's still hard to get by especially in Irvine where cost of living is high (in 20 reviews)

• At CS level do not expect to get good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

"Great People - Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Connection with colleagues, who are all gamers, is wonderful. It's one thing that binds everyone together.
    Tons of diversity, with people from all over the globe, of all nationalities, ethnicities and backgrounds with interesting stories.
    World class tech & creative talent, second to none.
    Wonderful CEO and original team from early 90's

Cons

With the success of WoW & huge growth (300 -> 5000 in 3-4 years) left serious gaps in middle management. Most graduated there without training or talent for people management. This is now being corrected and expect greatness at all levels by 2018.

Advice to Management

Already explained in Cons section.

2. "Sr. Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

Strategic. Impactful. Honest. Responsible. Thoughtful.

Cons

Can't come up with anything.

"An awesome culture in an awesome business"

Current Employee - Specialist Game Master
    Current Employee - Specialist Game Master

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*Culture is far and away the greatest part of working here. Everyone, up to the CEO, is accessible. I'ts one big family.
    *Get to be a part of some of the biggest and best gaming experiences in the world

Cons

*CS is trending towards heavy micromanagement. Be prepared for a "concerned message" if you are in the bathroom for too long.

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Genuine and generous investments into its employees
    * Committed to quality of product even at the expense of revenue
    * Open and accepting environment
    * Have a beer while you work - go ahead, it's actually common to do so

Cons

* Engineering positions are stuck in Irvine, CA with no remoting available
    * Continuously fighting silo'ed mentalities and environments between teams
    * Promotions are competitive and usually lost to outside hires

Advice to Management

* Invest in building more remote-friendly environments and try harder to offer remote opportunities
    * Some of the job matrices are flawed. e.g. Engineering matrix needs a management / non-management path separation.

"Amazing company; terrible customer base. Avoid support."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Would you rather love your work but hate your company or hate your work but love your company? The latter is what I found with Blizzard Support.

Blizzard is, unquestionably, the best company I have worked for. On the other hand, the work I did as a Blizzard Support employee was the most mind-numbingly boring job I've had, while, at the same time, a regular source of aggravation.

As part of Blizzard CS you will be paid more than fair wages (frankly, wages are high relative to the skill level required for the work), outstanding benefits, bonuses, profit sharing, and tons of Blizzard swag (merchandise, games, Battle.net Balance, etc.).

You will find the office culture is unmistakably a gamer culture; a unique combination of the super casual with the passionately competitive.

In terms of the overall compensation, workplace environment, and low level of skill required at entry - not to mention the cool factor of working for a major gaming company - you will not find a "better" job in the CS Industry.

Cons

The Bad:

Blizzard Support has many "good" problems that other companies can only wish they had. These problems are nonetheless facts potential employees should be aware of.

There is zero opportunity for rapid advancement. If you want to "move up" - even into entry-level management - you have to start at the bottom and be prepared to commit to years as a front-line representative. Previous experience is irrelevant; they only promote internally and the representative hierarchy is structured such that you would need to be there minimally 1.5-2 years before even being able to apply for another position. Even then, while there is no official seniority system in place, there are clear preferences. Assuming you did everything perfectly up until that 2 year mark, you'll find you're competing against employees who have been there 5+ years.

The above is assuming such a position even opens. People like working for Blizzard; as a result, attrition is incredibly low. You could wait years for a single position to open up.

Now add to that the fact that most of the people working in Blizzard Support are over qualified for the position, and many are vastly over qualified. (I suppose this is part of the reason why their Support is so good and consistently rated so highly.) Where else would you find people with years of business management experience, or bachelor's or even masters degrees - even science degrees - working front-line Customer Support?

The facts above imply a corollary effect on the workplace culture. There's a subtle, unstated, yet ever-present statement floating behind the daily tasks and routine conversations: you're lucky to be working for Blizzard.

While partially correct, this can lead to a schizophrenic sort of geeky happiness occupied by unfulfillment and a sense of self-betrayal. "I'm over qualified for this position, I'm bored out of my mind, the customers I interact with are childish idiots, I'll be stuck in this same position for years and even then may not move into anything else, but I do get to work for Blizzard, after all."

The Ugly:

This is a review of Blizzard Support, and not the Customer Support industry as a whole, so I'll refrain from commenting too much on the latter. Suffice to say that Blizzard Support has many industry standard practices that I find ethically questionable. And I don't mean not helping customers; to the contrary, I mean helping customers whom should not only not be helped, but should be told off.

I would love to see companies adopt Manoj Bhargava's "no aggravation" policy and apply that to their Support philosophy. Alas, with Blizzard Support, as with most support, the opposite is the case: embrace aggravation and reward destructive behavior. Everyone focuses on "how" to deal with destructive customers instead of asking whether or not one "should" deal with those customers to begin with.

One of Blizzard's core values is "Play Nice, Play Fair." In the case of Blizzard Support, as with most support departments, it's much more accurate to say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Which is an appropriate metaphor, since the customers you'll be interacting with most frequently in Support could be described, both psychologically and physically, as greasy.

Interacting with the bottom 1% of the gaming community on a daily basis was, far and away, the most miserable part of the daily work. While not "difficult" skill-wise, it's mentally and emotionally draining. For someone of my personality type, I would describe it as akin to prostitution: providing a "service" for some of the slimiest, ignorant, and yet still self-entitled people in the world.

In the Support Industry as a whole, the expectation for the way a front-line support representative handles certain conversations is well below an acceptable level of human dignity. This expectation is, unfortunately, no different at Blizzard Support. As with most Support departments, you are not merely expected to provide support for Blizzard products and services. You are also expected to provide emotional support for the psychologically unstable and face toxicity, not only without reproach, but with acceptance and rewards. While this will not come as any surprise to someone familiar with the industry, it will be a shocking experience for anyone else. Don't go into it unprepared.

"Great benefit, great people, but very unorganized..dissatisfied for such big company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People are smart, sharp, professional, great to work with.
    - Benefit is great. They take good care of you.
    - Great perk of being able to work on coolest game titles.
    - Environment is amazing.
    - Work life balance is decent.
    - Tool to succeed is provided if you speak up.
    - Fun parties and company events.
    - Swags and hoodies are given for every events.
    - Get to meet celebrities and voice actor/actress at events.

Cons

- LOW salary. I think it is the lowest in the industry...but people still apply and want to be part of Blizzard for its legendary titles.
    - Unorganized. Many of the Managers and Sr. Managers are people who started as QA or CS and to most that was their first job and climbed the ladder to become a Manager. So some did not get professional training or anything and just one day became Managers...and doesn't know what they are doing. Also, there are many many introverted personnel and some which ended up to be a Manager are somewhat socially awkward...making it difficult to communicate.
    - Too many changes. Constant change can be pro and con. But their change is negative. It's a consequence of not being organized. The department changes, manager changes, and people changes... your position can change drastically. I've seen people from Production thrown into Community Management.
    - Most people have work life balance but some has NONE.
    - Unhealthy food. Not many selection at the cafeteria. (Currently under construction)
    - Little to no parking.

Dissatisfied for such big company.
    I had high hopes...

Advice to Management

Need to up the game with both salary and management training.

"Awesome company culture"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great company with very friendly atmosphere. Everybody is helpful and you are encouraged to pursue and share your hobbies and passions. They offer excellent benefits to employees as well as growth opportunities. You really feel valued.

Cons

There is a lot of construction going on but that is because of how quickly the company is growing. It can be a little tricky to navigate the campus.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work environment.

"Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

There is so much community with this company it is hard to select just a few pros. Very much a company that tries to balance work and home life with healthy lifestyles.

Cons

As with any company there will be cons no matter what department you work in. The grass isn't always greener. The one con would be for the folks who don't get to enjoy any type of holiday due to needing to be there for the customers.

"Place is Awesome"

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been here for over 10 years wouldn't and wouldn't have stayed if it wasn't a special place to work.

Cons

Area is expensive to live in so if you don't have the highest comp'd roles expect to commute.

Advice to Management

Let those core values resonate!

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, amazing games, talented people, fun IPs and a pretty good company culture. This has been my only game job and I don't plan on leaving.

Cons

Some may find Irvine fairly boring compared to a big city, although I don't mind it too much. It has been hard to advance within the company, improvement has been made on this recently.