Blizzard Entertainment "cost of living" Reviews | Glassdoor

Blizzard Entertainment Employee Reviews about "cost of living"

Updated Apr 26, 2018

4.0
Blizzard Entertainment CEO J. Allen Brack
J. Allen Brack
Pros
  • "Great work environment, lots of support from the colleagues(in 42 reviews)

• "Surrounded by likeminded gamers even or manager level(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rent in Irvine can be high and options for a social scene can be limited compared to Los Angeles(in 53 reviews)

• "Cost of living in the area is outrageous(in 29 reviews)

Reviews about "cost of living"

Return to all Reviews

"Lok'tar Ogar!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top end work amenities. Core company values are spread through every level. Friendly coworkers all embracing a diverse mindset, creating a culture of acceptance. Leadership values getting to know the person behind the work.

Cons

Expensive cost of living in the surrounding area; the company does subsidize healthy food options in their cafe and vending machines in each building.

Blizzard Entertainment2018-04-26
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone cares about fellow employees and wants them to exceed wherever possible. Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance.

Cons

Slow to go through approval processes. Cost of living in the area is outrageous.

Blizzard Entertainment2018-04-17
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Dedicated to creating the most epic workplace experience ever"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

The title says it all, our company is dedicated not only to creating epic entertainment experiences, but also to creating an environment that the employees love to work in. It's an awesome company with a multitude of perks, benefits, and company events. Most importantly though, your coworkers are awesome and your room to grow here is limitless. Our CEO and executive team is awesome and really does an amazing job to... work for both us as employees and our fans and players.

Cons

Irvine can be a bit dull at times, and the pay might not be as comparable to other companies in Orange County cost of living wise. However, you don't have to live in Irvine, and I feel adequately compensated.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing! It's working well and there's no reason to change it up!

Blizzard Entertainment2018-03-06

"Lead Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Blizzard for just under 3 months. The environment is awesome. My direct manager has spent an enormous amount of time familiarizing me with culture and setting my expectations. Perks are great, especially if you are creative or like games. Overall, after 3 months, I love it. The weather in Southern California is also great.

Cons

If I had to come up with something it would be that the pay versus cost of living (especially in Irvine) could use some work. Also it would be beneficial to review the vacation policy. It's pretty much set in stone and that is a downer for an experienced candidate.

Advice to Management

Keep being visible and awesome. It was awesome that Frank was at my new hire orientation. Can't wait to meet Mike and thank him for creating such an amazing company.

Blizzard Entertainment2018-02-21
  6. "Great So Far! Positives Outweigh Opportunities"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazingly geeky inclusive culture with great employee benefits beyond just comphensation. Blizzard does a very good job embedding the core values into the organization. Those values aren't just nice to have, but forged in bronze around the orc statue! The time is really taken to do things the right way and the best it can possibly be done.

Cons

Some departments are difficult to work with and could benefit from stronger partnerships beyond their self-imposed silos. Orange County is kind of expensive, and some levels haven't caught up with cost of living. Also, some departments have titles that are flattened compared to the rest of the company.

Blizzard Entertainment2018-02-09

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Blizzard is a great place to work. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed but people work hard and you are encouraged to continuously improve.

Cons

Orange County is expensive and salaries do not quite reflect the cost of living

Advice to Management

Continue being great, but make sure all people working in Blizzard can have a good standard of living in Orange County.

Blizzard Entertainment2018-01-31

"My Dream Come True Working at Blizzard Entertainment"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture and Core Values - Leadership - Excellent Benefits

Cons

- Cost of Living, Irvine CA is expensive.

Blizzard Entertainment2017-10-11

"Dream Job: brilliant people, inspiring projects, and a culture of family!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Passionate people - Super intelligent colleagues - Culture of learning & growing - Relaxed, friendly work environment - Family-friendly with good work-life balance - Stability - Excellent benefits - People have fun while creating fun for others!

Cons

- Compensation is not as competitive as comparable jobs at other companies - Cost of living is high - Large, risk-averse company means that change happens slowly

Advice to Management

Overall the C-suite and senior leadership is doing a fantastic job. Feedback is consistently sought, and they're always looking for ways to level up the company. Providing a clearer picture of career progression would be a significant improvement. Additionally, many managers across the company could use training and assistance with providing meaningful, actionable feedback to their reports about their areas of... strength and weakness. While one of Blizzard's core values is "Gameplay First", it can sometimes feel like employees who are not designers on game teams are second class citizens; continuing to push the "one Blizzard team" initiative and provide opportunities to shine for other disciplines will help combat this feeling. Keep up the good work!

Blizzard Entertainment2017-04-11

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for. People are friendly, everyone love playing games. It is a 100% nerd environment. VanPool is a great option for those who live in LA County for example. I moved closer to Irvine a while back because they did not have a vanpool option. Now that they do it opens options to move elsewhere if I wish. I likely won't but it's good to have more options. Freebies and swag are great.

Cons

Rapid growth means growing pains. I have other companies grow this fast and it can be difficult to hold your core values as you diversify in talent. Housing cost in Orange County is outrageous. It's about $400-800/sq foot or about 2500-2800 for rentals ranging in the 1000 square foot range. This requires your base pay to be around 80k for a single person. More likely 100-120k for 2-3, 130k for a family of 4.... This means that both parents likely need to be working. The health benefits are expensive compared to other companies and what you get from them. though the recent changes are better, they are not as good as what most of the comparable industry friends tell me. Bonuses are great and get slightly larger the longer you are at blizzard. But the increases seem to have stagnated and stayed flat for a while now. It is still going up but not at the same rate as the first few years I was working. This maybe an individual thing. Food options on campus just recently got slightly better. But expect to pay around $10 per meal on campus or in any of the locations in Irvine. OC traffic has increased significantly in the past few years. A 20 minute commute consistently is now more like 40-50 during morning and evening rush hour. This means population growth is rapid in the area. Just in my area alone several condos and large rental units have been built all along my commute. Rapid growth means freeway and road congestion. If it takes you 1 hour to commute and the pay is less than what you can get working in LA for example, it makes it hard for new talent to consider employment, and as the commutes and cost of living rise you risk loosing great talent as well (already starting to see this happen). Irvine also suffers from rapid growing pains. Many new companies are moving in. The landscape is changing at a significant rate.

Advice to Management

Don't hide all the decisions you are making that effect daily life of employees. This can be counter productive and creates unnecessary tension. Fix your review process. For 2 years emails and surveys say you are doing just that. But the proposed idea is not much different then the current review process. Some management say the review does not impact bonus. Be more transparent on exactly how the bonus and merit... is calculated. Most people are ignoring the reviews for 2 reasons, the review once written can't or won't be changed based on feedback from the individual and questioning the profit sharing process is frowned upon. It's fantastic we get profit sharing. But honestly, if we have a bad profit year or years, profit sharing would suddenly go away. Counting on a bonus to make ends meet I'm sure is not what blizzard wants in the end. And some heavily rely on the bonus.

Blizzard Entertainment2017-05-20

"Good for a Stepping Stone, but rarely will it lead to anywhere but out the door."

Current Employee - Technical Quality Assurance Analyst III in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll meet passionate people, Perks are pretty good.

Cons

There is no longevity, Have to choose between surviving at "BLIZZARD!" or living well. Management is joke There is no real path to a career, must be lucky to move up the ladder. Consistently reworking structure to squeeze more work out of lower level employees without paying more Merit increases do not keep up with cost of living. Promotional structure is based on how well you are liked, not how... well you do your job. Bromance structure is prevalent among management. outside of Top 2% of the company everyone is paid on average 30% less than their market value

Advice to Management

Stop making up excuses as to why low level employees don't deserve more respect and pay

Blizzard Entertainment2017-04-11