Blizzard Entertainment "gamers" Reviews | Glassdoor

Blizzard Entertainment Employee Reviews about "gamers"

Updated Aug 17, 2019

4.0
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO J. Allen Brack
J. Allen Brack
Pros
  • "Very good work environment and work life balance(in 42 reviews)

• "Surrounded by likeminded gamers even or manager level(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rent in Irvine can be high and options for a social scene can be limited compared to Los Angeles(in 53 reviews)

• "Cost of living in the area is outrageous(in 29 reviews)

Reviews about "gamers"

Return to all Reviews

"Embracing Your Inner Geek"

Current Employee - Senior Cinematic Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been here for over 11 years now, and one of the things that stand out is our wonderful CEO, Mike Morhaime, who is not only approachable, but one of us. He cares about each department, each employee, as a gamer, and as a person. I've never felt out of place here, being a minority in many ways, and it's due to the culture he's instilled from the top down since he created this company. Thanks Mike!

Cons

We've grown so much since I joined, and because of that, there are more people I see around campus that I don't know their name as much as I'd want to. But that's just an inevitable fact for a constantly growing and successful company.

Advice to Management

Employee mixer events such as Art Summit that recently happened, are great ways to connect a coworker with another in a growing company. Instead of having that bi yearly, shorten it to yearly instead. I had a wonderful time yesterday!

Blizzard Entertainment2018-04-18

"Blizzard is good to learn what you need"

Current Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll learn how to multi-task, STAR (situation, task, action, result) solve for interviewing, data-entry, and basic level technical support Oh and you work with gamers on a day-to-day basis. There's also a team for dodgeball and a women's resource group.

Cons

Pay is crap for the area. Raises are pitiful (5-25c/yr). Additionally, the politicking game is strong in this company; you can't trust your co-workers to have your back as they may use that to sabotage potential opportunities for other departments or give you poor advice if it means they get ahead. Your hours are going to be awful. Day-to-day Scheduling is a 'this is fine' meme with you swapping from email to IM... to phone support on a dime and random times where breaks are unacceptable. Work life balance is non-existent; show up for your shift or don't show up at all. A draconian attendance policy ensures that once you have an issue you're stuck with it going forward.

Advice to Management

Learn to coach your employees on being responsible, team-supporting, individuals. Stop focusing on separate projects that don't actually assist in growing your team. Avoid prefence on giving friends and those you like more on the team raises; all too often I saw members receive a promotion or advancement out of support because they were buddy-buddy with a manager and then they'd leave a couple months later now... that they have the experience required under their belt

Blizzard Entertainment2019-08-18

"Overall an awesome place to work but has a some issues."

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Very good benefits. - Lots of bonuses such as free swag, in-game currencies, free WoW subscriptions, and occasional company-wide trips to Vegas. - You work with a lot of very smart and passionate gamers and professionals. Some of the very best in the industry in my opinion. - Strong geek culture with opportunities to participate in that culture (game nights, cosplay contests, and once in awhile a few... tournaments).

Cons

- Can feel dehumanizing at times, particularly if you work in one of the support departments although I do feel that this is an industry-wide issue. - Some gaslighting and dishonesty from management. - Extremely competitive environment making it difficult to move up, especially if you're trying to move out of a support department and into development.

Advice to Management

You have some of the best and smartest people in the industry working for you, keep that in mind in everything you do and every decision you make. Don't treat people like they're expendable or else you'll bleed talent you might never get back.

Blizzard Entertainment2019-05-13

"Amazing culture and Passion for hand-crafted, high quality gaming experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Employees bleed passion. They embrace the 8 core values wholeheartedly and live and breath it. -Opportunities for learning and growth. The company has grown quickly over the past few years and there are opportunities beyond just game development! eSports, Consumer Products, Story and Franchise Development and more. -Limited hierarchy, everyone pitches in and has a voice, and focused on meritocracy -You can be... yourself. You don't have to be a gaming geek, there are foodies, pet lovers, table top gamers, tinkerers and so many other interests that you can share with others

Cons

-Company is more of a start up-feel and there's a greater need for more process and documentation, however, not to the point where we are taking away from the creativity and to get things done -It takes time to learn the Blizzard way of doing things, but there's a positive in this as everyone understands this and gives new hires a chance to really absorb the culture and build relationships without being thrown into... the fire

Advice to Management

-Never forget the roots of the organization, the creativity and focus on quality, but realize that we need to catch up in certain areas as well

Blizzard Entertainment2018-03-30
  5. "Amazing people/culture with complex org structure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

- A heaven for gamers given the work nature - Very talented and passionate people - Family-oriented and casual atmosphere

Cons

- Takes time/efforts for people to navigate the complex org structure - The company may not move as fast given the size

Advice to Management

Focus on aligning the organization structure to reduce redundant efforts and leverage best of talents

Blizzard Entertainment2018-04-04

"Great gaming company to work for"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is truly game-design driven and people in the game development teams are very self-critical, which ensured the quality of the Blizzard games on market right now. A lot of gamers around which means there are always gaming event going on, no matter if you want a overwatch match or a boardgame night. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Not much free employee perks. Free gym is nice but that's pretty much it. Need more physical space to accommodate the fast-growing employee count. Meeting room's IT system is very hard to use.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Blizzard Entertainment2018-02-09

"A Gaming Giant"

Former Employee - Designer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My time spent as a member of the design team at Blizzard was indeed epic. I was fortunate to be a part of a UX team that really cared about the gamer problems and how best to solve them. I was able to learn and grow from excellent design, research, content strategy and data peers, given the opportunity to lead, mentor, and manage. The Blizzard culture naturally sets a high bar and is conducive to the in-depth... product thinking the UX discipline needs to thrive. Some of my favorite moments were the game launches, amazing company events, department holiday parties, collaborating with peers, presenting to the leaders in the game teams and understanding how they think about gaming. Blizzard sets bold visions and high bars and it's a fun space for creative thinking.

Cons

It seemed like Blizz would go through heavy hiring years, but when it came time to promote qualified employees to the next level, they were stingy with amount of promotions a team could have. This would force well deserved peers to go quite a while without promotions and cause them to leave. As many people have noted, the pay doesn't compete with other world-class companies. Middle management throughout the company... was a dice roll between highly qualified/effective people and those who prefer Mad Men style management tactics.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to the next Blizzard Game! GLHF!

Blizzard Entertainment2018-01-06

"Starting in Support -> Moved to Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Environment is wonderful. Geek or not, you will find others around you that are wonderful to talk to. There are so many days where it almost doesn't even feel like work! Especially as a geek, if you are talking to a customer - you're effectively talking to another gamer just like you. The spirits of everyone, and how teams get along was one of the best things I had experienced. - Wear (pretty much) whatever... you want. Don't need to be business dressed, or business casual, can wear and wave that favorite t-shirt of yours of your favorite band or game (obviously inappropriate things should be obvious here..). Just be at work, and be presentable. No need for uniforms or looking around for new clothes for a job. - So many free benefits - from games, to clothing, to pretty much anything you can imagine (especially as a geek). So if you're a geek, you will love it. - Friendly all around the company, and every voice even to the highest (CEO/President) of the company cares for your feedback. Does it mean that ALL of that feedback is going to be implemented, no. But it is wonderful to be able to voice things, and know that others care to hear them. Often times even resulting into some great changes. -The company truly values their employees and their feedback. To the point that you will have game-time when available, to test out new aspects of a game that hasn't launched, or other things to help provide insight into what may need to change/improve. -Reasonable hours/shifts for about any need. Early day, mid day, nights, etc. And always open on holidays for that double pay if you are scheduled/work for it! -Sharing of revenue due to how well the business (and even you) are doing. At least yearly. -Not on the phones? Listen to your favorite music all day, be more productive than you could ever imagine, and have your day swing by like nothing! -Lots of Growth Opportunities -Lots more.... but that is about the summary of it.

Cons

-Definitely lower on the pay-scale (even professional level) due to the amount of free perks, etc. So this environment/company may be perfect for some, and not so much for others. -Some things are a bit disorganized due to a lot of in-house changes and developments, instead of relying on people to do it for them. (but this isn't necessarily a bad thing either, just can sometimes become frustrating at times if... impacting to you). -Lots of definition that does not exist for roles, sometimes departments, etc. Causing confusion within responsibilities/expectations, or ensuring the right people are notified/aware of the right things. -HIRING PROCESS: This is by far the worst thing I have to complain about. Not only is it incredibly long to even find out if you are hired, but it can sometimes take forever (or never) to even hear if you're going to be interviewed. I'm not sure if denial letters are sent out, but it keeps you on this line of waiting for something to happen that you want/interested in, but have no idea what the hell is going on on their end. Feedback/status updates of the process would be helpful so that if denials happen, you know when to move on, or if not, you know to expect something like unknown callers, etc.

Advice to Management

Please Please Please PLEASE consider improving the hiring process. It is so painful to have that resume/cover letter submitted, and then never hear ANYTHING. Did I get denied? I have no idea. Has it even been read? i have no idea. Am i a potential candidate? I have no idea!!! The process is long enough as it is, having some feedback intervals would be very helpful.

Blizzard Entertainment2017-10-16

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Family friendly company that is a great place for geeks and gamers Lots of great game-related perks Nice holiday bonuses Big-wigs actually *listen* to the little guys

Cons

No easy room for advancement from Customer Support Metric requirements change frequently

Advice to Management

'Grandfather' in some of the changes for advancement, rather than having "this" style one month, and suddenly changing it to "that" style

Blizzard Entertainment2017-11-03

"Great Company, Widely Varying Management Quality Hurts Work Experience"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company "cares" about its employees - good benefits, bonuses Great culture if you are a gamer / nerd Smart co-workers - especially engineers Great place for engineers Great work-life balance

Cons

I speak only for BNET - all departments are different. - Company's "Relationship Based Culture" means that lots of politics are involved - BNET has a long history of Engineering dominance. Heavy Engineering against Program Management culture (undercurrent but very real). I have seen it affect a couple of careers. - Aside from the truly politically gifted, growth is limited. Company just wants you to be good at... your job and be happy. - Department seems volatile in terms of job turnover compared to other parts of the company - Some managers hired do not practice "Blizzard Culture" or they themselves are too different to follow it even if they try. This brings toxicity to the teams and hurts work experience for all involved. - Culture and values are great, but is not applied to everyone.

Advice to Management

- Hire true gamers for BNET. While hiring non-gamers may seem great on paper, my opinion is they are less likely to be able to exhibit as much Blizzard culture as the true gamers. They have higher chance to become a liability medium to long term.

Blizzard Entertainment2017-09-27