KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Blizzard Entertainment

Engaged Employer

Blizzard Entertainment

Add a Review

Blizzard Entertainment Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Oct 14, 2020

Found 47 of over 1,169 reviews

3.5
Pros
  • "amazing, collaborative work environment(in 47 reviews)

• "Great culture, great work/life balance(in 45 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Never kept up with cost of living increases, execs received massive salaries/bonuses while regular employees often struggled to make ends meet(in 35 reviews)

• "Work life balance is non-existent; show up for your shift or don't show up at all(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Blizzard Entertainment

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blizzard Entertainment and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Apr 20, 2019 - Game Master in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful work environment and people

Cons

Can’t think of one. I was a temp and wish I could have stayed longer

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Cool Workplace

Oct 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commitment to quality. Casual work environment. Fun office vibes

Cons

Commitment to quality can lead to long lead times

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Review Structure Lacking

Aug 17, 2020 - Operations Analyst in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly work environment, passionate coworkers, supportive environment.

Cons

Annual review and merit increase structure seriously lacking. Never kept up with cost of living increases, execs received massive salaries/bonuses while regular employees often struggled to make ends meet.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love it here

Jun 24, 2020 - Marketing Communications in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- free oatmeal Wednesdays - Starbucks on campus - never a dull day - great coworkers - amazing, collaborative work environment - supportive management

Cons

I've been here for 8 months & have had 4 different bosses now. Teams get re-organized often, so it's kind of tough to be on top of things when people are always moving about, so their work is always exchanging hands which causes delays.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of People to Learn From

Feb 14, 2020 - Associate Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Most everyone I've met is incredibly friendly and willing to help. - Good guidance from mentors - Chill work environment, flexibility - Loot, Blizzcon, Good Food

Cons

- Pay is lower than regular software engineering roles outside of games, but this may just be a game industry issue.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Dream Job: brilliant people, inspiring projects, and a culture of family!

Apr 11, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Passionate people - Super intelligent colleagues - Culture of learning & growing - Relaxed, friendly work environment - Family-friendly with good work-life balance - Stability - Excellent benefits - People have fun while creating fun for others!

Cons

- Compensation is not as competitive as comparable jobs at other companies - Cost of living is high - Large, risk-averse company means that change happens slowly

36 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Sep 5, 2019 - Associate Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment. Benefits were also very good for me.

Cons

Didn't have a lot of room for growth.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I would suggest working at Blizzard to anyone who has a passion for making good video games.

Sep 5, 2012 - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of talent. - Established company with stable work environment. - Focus on iterative process to create high quality games. - A growing emphasis on culture and improvement. - Very supportive of employees. - Approachable group of designers, artists, and managers. (there will always be exceptions, but on a whole) - An involved, professional, and highly productive QA department. :) - Strong core values. - Company-wide events. - Large customer base with great impact.

Cons

- Average pay. - Still suffering growing pains from WoW success. - Not all departments are yet brought up to the employee quality of life level they should be, Customer Support in particular. - Needs more efficient and effective communication between dependent departments.

9. 4.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Game master

Apr 25, 2017 - Game Master in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was the best work environment! I worked 3rd shift and we would play games after lunch at work. We would run around the cubicles and try to get a ball past bases that were set up at either end of the office. We are computer geeks so I suppose they wanted us to get some exercise! XD They would bring in food for lunch or dinner when we were in crunch time, free soda, and you get to work for BLIZZARD! Thats a pro in and of itself!

Cons

The pay. It was on the lower end but the perks made up for it, in my mind. I was a temp through Volt for only 9 months. Management did not give ANY direction as to how to be a game master. I struggled with that. I was not sure how to handle certain situations so I would ask my supervisor. This would take up time that I could have been working!

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Too Many Managers; Not Enough Leadership

Nov 25, 2015 - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate, brilliant teams who balance hard work with a fun work environment, lots of perks (gifts, food, swag, events), decent amount of time off, and located close to lots of parks, hiking trails, the beach, etc.

Cons

The department I work in has grown too fast, too quickly. Many of the upper management are new and have brought in sweeping changes without first getting to know the existing culture and employees. I used to feel like a valued member of a talented, close-knit team. Now I feel like a faceless resource to be moved around to promote someone else's agenda. The career advancement is completely opaque to the majority of the employees, and management lacks any apparent will to mentor, lead, or even get to know their employees. In this environment, the goal isn't to stand out and excel, but to do just well enough not to be noticed.

19 people found this review helpful