What people are saying about Block
Does lateraling makes sense if you are slow for most part of the year? The market is soft and my peers also seemed to be slow right now, but the biggest issue is I don’t know if I’m on the chopping block next and I have no way of finding out…went through the lateraling process and got an offer surprisingly fast. Corporate mid level that has built a good reputation at current firm if that matters. Thanks!
Someone asked if my job is: do you actually deliver something or is your job meetings?” I want to deliver but people block so many meetings. I am going to start joining every call and say “do you need me? If not I have better things to do”. How do we create a culture where 17 people have to be in a call and only max 2-5 people actually speak??
The Work-Life Bowl
Hey guys I need some advice and criticism I’m a 22 y/o looking something out of the labor force that I can take care of myself and finally start my life. I’ve hit road block after road block and I’m just lost in life and want to be successful. What field or study would any of you recommend that makes the most money any professional comment is much appreciated.
Got a burning question about Block? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Block employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Poor Management" (in 37 reviews)
- "The managers have also out sourced a lot of their work to tendered advocates so they don't provide any support for calls or take escalations." (in 23 reviews)
- "lack of diversity" (in 9 reviews)
- "However, lack of clear career paths ensures that the churn is always high." (in 9 reviews)
- "Upper management seems lovely and savvy but are tone deaf to the struggles (or just don’t care) and continue to make the role harder." (in 8 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Block and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 6 of over 1K reviews
Updated Sep 21, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "growing pains"Return to all Reviews
- 3.0Feb 19, 2018Customer SupportFormer Employee, more than 1 yearSan Francisco, CA
- Friendly, intelligent, and diligent colleagues - Free food
- No growth in support. There's very little opportunity to advance into a career outside of the support environment. typically, support is a stepping stone towards other career paths, but there's little to no room for mobility aside from being a support manager or resolution specialist (tackling escalated cases). - Difficult to support other products of Square when they don't have a customer facing team/direct transfer for incoming calls. I.e. Employee Management, Capital, Cash. Supporters are expected to have knowledge of multiple product areas so it does get difficult when there's new features/bugs in the platform/product requests/etc. since there's no clear escalation path in place - The nature of support is 24/7. You are meant to serve the customers and with that in mind, expect to work holidays. When other employees get a week in between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, you're more than likely working. Though you get to work from home, it's unfortunate having to be locked up in a room taking calls while the rest of your family enjoys the holiday. - Growing pains = culture is difficult to maintain with rapid growth - Little diversity in the certain product areas and it does get cliquey.5
- 4.0Aug 8, 2016Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearSan Francisco, CA
My coworkers are great. I really enjoy working with my team and we get along very well. Both my manager & his manager were previous engineering leads that worked up to senior positions, which I really like.
Documentation is not the best and there's a lot of 'tribal knowledge'. Some growing pains due to recent expansions, ie. a lot of tools that worked while we were smaller aren't working so well now (work in progress to build new ones though).