KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Block

Engaged Employer

Block

Add a Review

Block Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Oct 12, 2021

Found 6 of over 1,065 reviews

4.2
Block Head of Block Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "switch when it comes to your position and duties, as well as the aforementioned issues with bad management.(in 29 reviews)
  • "The managers have also out sourced a lot of their work to tendered advocates so they don't provide any support for calls or take escalations.(in 22 reviews)
  • "timers are expected to accept slightly lower compensation than what's competitive on the market.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Long hours and confusing reorganizations(in 9 reviews)
  • "I used to feel that it was easy to get lost in the shuffle and that opportunities for growth weren't as fostered as they could be.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Block and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Square Support

Feb 19, 2018 - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly, intelligent, and diligent colleagues - Free food

Cons

- No growth in support. There's very little opportunity to advance into a career outside of the support environment. typically, support is a stepping stone towards other career paths, but there's little to no room for mobility aside from being a support manager or resolution specialist (tackling escalated cases). - Difficult to support other products of Square when they don't have a customer facing team/direct transfer for incoming calls. I.e. Employee Management, Capital, Cash. Supporters are expected to have knowledge of multiple product areas so it does get difficult when there's new features/bugs in the platform/product requests/etc. since there's no clear escalation path in place - The nature of support is 24/7. You are meant to serve the customers and with that in mind, expect to work holidays. When other employees get a week in between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, you're more than likely working. Though you get to work from home, it's unfortunate having to be locked up in a room taking calls while the rest of your family enjoys the holiday. - Growing pains = culture is difficult to maintain with rapid growth - Little diversity in the certain product areas and it does get cliquey.

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good first job

Aug 8, 2016 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

My coworkers are great. I really enjoy working with my team and we get along very well. Both my manager & his manager were previous engineering leads that worked up to senior positions, which I really like.

Cons

Documentation is not the best and there's a lot of 'tribal knowledge'. Some growing pains due to recent expansions, ie. a lot of tools that worked while we were smaller aren't working so well now (work in progress to build new ones though).

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Strong Mission and transparent culture

Oct 14, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is an extremely high bar for hiring so everyone you work with is extremely intelligent and fun to be around, making you want to come to work every day. We have an all hands every Friday and encourage information sharing throughout the company so you always know what's going on outside of your team. The mission of the company is something everyone is genuinely passionate about. I have awesome work life balance - management is concerned about the quality of my work, not the number of hours I'm in the office. The office is beautiful and the perks are great as well!

Cons

Having worked here for the past few years, we've had some growing pains trying to get the correct leadership in place. We're now finally in a solid place with our executive team.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sales organization with great culture and okay pay

Apr 4, 2022 - Business Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, culture, and benefits. Also, the product is fantastic and I actually felt like I had something truly valuable to offer to customers

Cons

Pay is below standard for the same role at different companies (made up for with culture and benefits). Also, there have been some growing pains for the sales organization this past year as the org scales.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Disputes Resolution

May 28, 2017 - Risk Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing company to work for

Cons

Typical growing pains of a new office

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Most impressive collection of talent I've worked with

Oct 16, 2016 - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Square has tons of great people: in engineering, branding, customer support: most parts of the organization, really. Furthermore, there is a culture of working together across organizational boundaries and a collaborative mindset.

Cons

The constant reorgs and uncertainty about career paths and expectations reflect growing pains to be sure, maybe also a cultural/deliberate practice of not getting set in their ways. But it can be hard to understand what you're supposed to do, how long until the next big change, and who is supposed to keep what running as management is thinking of loftier things.

1 person found this review helpful