Blockbuster Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Year is wrong"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Park City, UT

Pros

Lots of free movies and screeners.

Cons

Company closed and never came back.

2. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Morganville, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Morganville, NJ

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere and staff were great! I got to learn a lot about retail in a friendly, nurturing environment and discuss topics that were very interesting to me and relevant to the position.

Cons

The only issue with Blockbuster is that they were phased out by more innovative companies and their pay for this position was not great, though to be fair, that should be expected when applying for this role.

Advice to Management

Would have tried to capitalize on your branding by going digital much earlier in the game. I would have decreased the size of the stores and tried to increase the customer support presence online.

3. "Greta company"

Pros

Awesome benefits and exciting industry. There were many changes and lay offs towards the end because of the competition in the industry. One of the best jobs I ever had up to date!

Cons

The office culture was ok for the most part. I really don't have anything negative to say as everyone worked as a team. Only have the best memories working at the corporate office.

4. "I watched movies"

Pros

I like movies and am a movie conasour it was a high school job close to home

Cons

Store only played stupid movies worked a lot did not like my hours boring at times when it's slow

5. "Fun place for a part time job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Management was very understanding. Team atmosphere where everyone helped each other. Easy to get shifts covered

Cons

Angry customers, but that is just retail in general.

Advice to Management

Meet with the stores regularly to see what issues we have.

6. "Great while it lasted!!"

Pros

Great job if you love movies & games. We got to rent the games and movies for free and before they released

Cons

they went out of business

7. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Martinsville, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Martinsville, VA

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

customers enjoyed working with them every day learning what they liked and giving them suggestions on the movie that they would enjoy viewing..enjoyed my co-workers we were family not just co-workers

Cons

learning that the business was closing due to economics...losing a job that was the best job I ever had never thought I would enjoy retail but I did..enjoyed the public contact...

Advice to Management

stop looking at your employees as employees...look at them as co-workers and treat them as such..remember they too want to help the business progress and grow

8. "Great company to work for when things were booming, unfortunately when the industry started to decline things went south"

Former Employee - Store General Manager
    Former Employee - Store General Manager

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learned a lot when the business was booming, multi unit experience, training and development, human resources. Love the people and customers.

Cons

Was having to downsize and continue to motivate and lead in an industry that was slowing coming to an end.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who took care of you through out the good times.

9. "Working for a dying dinosaur"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

It was an amazing challenge early on as we had so many customers and we were always busy. As time went on there grew to be many competitors with Hollywood Video, Netflix, Redbox and streaming. Hollywood Video was more of an annoyance. Netlix was new with its mailing concept and Blockbuster eventually capitulated to create a similar method. Redbox had such a small PP that our selection, shopping experience of not impersonating a homeless person while shopping and confection and pure habit brought people in. Blockbuster didn't have the leadership that was visionary to get out in front of these ideas. Loved competing with these companies and meeting customers and providing them exceptional service was rewarding. (not to mention watching free movies)

Cons

The inability of Blockbuster to be visionary in its concepts led to its downfall. The planograms made sense to make sure all stores were similar but the rigid stance to stick to these ideas was frustrating. If my store was exceeding expectations because we were not using company guidelines we were not praised but frowned upon.

10. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irwin, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irwin, PA

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really Great place to work

Cons

They Went out of business

Advice to Management

None