Bloom Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Bloom Energy Principal Co-Founder & CEO K.R. Sridhar
K.R. Sridhar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to learn, meet smart people, advance one's career etc (in 9 reviews)

• Every team member is very nice, smart and hard-working (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours are the norm, employee perks and morale boosters are lacking (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of upper Management trust, support & direction (in 9 reviews)

1. "Operations Manager"

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

Smart people, quick environment, interesting technology, great work-from-home culter

Cons

Bad upper management
    Not very organized, still like a start-up environment even though it's a fairly old company already.
    No transparency, no one knows what each other is doing.
    Ad-hoc requests everywhere.

Advice to Management

Stay organized.
    Attention to detail.
    Don't over-promise.
    Transparency.
    Need a bigger Legal team. Too much work, not enough people.
    Better compensation and benefits (Leave, 401k, PTO, insurance)

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Interesting technology.

Cons

Too many departments and managers, with lack of communications between each departments.
    Manager favors certain employees. Performance review is based on how well your manager likes you, and not by the work you did.

"This is not a very promising work place."

Current Employee - Assembly Tech in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Assembly Tech in Newark, DE

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro to working here is that I live 5 minutes away so I can ride my bike in the spring.

Cons

The hours are horrible, middle and upper management are foolish and snobby, no competitive wages, managers lie and tell you what you want to here in order to use you to their benefit, and lastly, they use a contracting company to hire workers which is awful to deal with.

Advice to Management

Middle management should grow a pair and inform upper management when they have bad ideas. Upper management needs to be more compassionate towards the needs of the production workers.

"Dysfunctional Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

I don't believe there are any pro's.

Cons

Lack of upper Management trust, support & direction.

Advice to Management

Check your ego's at the door.

"Doom and Bloom"

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

Eh... good benefits. People on the manufacturing floor are a solid team. Opportunity to learn skills.

Cons

Where to start?
    -Upper management is sorely out of touch with reality and the life of the common working man
    -No clear business path, no transparency, seemingly no interest in career development, head of HR is very detached
    -The hours are soul crushing, and for no valid reason
    -Pay is horribly unequal relative to the workload
    -More engineers does not mean a more efficient workplace
    -Contract company lies to prospective employees about pay and benefits
    -Overwork good employees, let others seemingly do whatever they want
    -Onboarding is painfully slow, as are raises
    -All style, no substance. They seem to want to impress customers with a tour of the facility, but won't spend any money for decent tools or equipment
    -Upper management is barely visible on the floor, despite the relatively small facility
    -Pretty sure the plant managers are trying to make a name for themselves by trying to be "innovative", instead just turning people into robots and running the place like a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO BUILD THE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU MONEY!

"Lost opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work with good people.

Cons

Lost its way, upper management is too busy towing the line to make hard decisions to make the company better in the long term. Environment is described as toxic by most long term employees. Key few people can make your life horrible if they think you're disruptive. Bloom has really lost its way.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners on doing the right thing.

"Violation Of Visa Rules By Indians"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time

Pros

Everyone works hard but they don't know what they are doing. If you are trying to join this company, you should talk to the engineers here. They are frustrated and they all hate the management including their CEO!

Cons

Bloom Energy is the port of entry to U.S. for Indians. I always heard rumors about companies violating the visa rules until I experienced it here. Every time we asked for resources they transferred the projects to India and hired there, if we wanted to hire here we had to bring someone from India or move someone from there. After that the company applies for their green cards with fake job postings on the Bloom Energy website so they could show that they tried. Many of the postings today are fake. They never send the resumes to the hiring manager or even tell them about the openings. I do not have a problem with Indians. The problem is the brotherhood among them. You see this favoritism over race in site installation group, engineering, operation and pretty much the entire company. I couldn't handle it anymore. If you are not Indian, don't apply here.

Advice to Management

Find out why everyone is leaving. Not everyone cares about the IPO. They are frustrated with you.

"Secretive company"

Former Intern - Finance Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Finance Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, hard working people.

Cons

Little information is shared. Infant, senior managers were attending Intern Lunch and Learns! Little sense of culture or team.

Advice to Management

Develop a culture; Trust your employees.

"Leaving Bloom Was the Best Career Move I've Made"

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefit package, flexible work schedule, and in the rare (and I mean really rare) occasions where everyone is not in firefighting panic mode, creative side projects are encouraged.

Cons

Working at Bloom Energy is like being in a bad romantic relationship. While you’re in it, you’re constantly trying to convince yourself that it's not so bad, that the other person will change, that everything you’ve invested isn’t in vain, and that things will get better. Once you get out you’re just like “That sucked! Why the hell didn’t I do that YEARS ago!”

To be fair, I really enjoyed working at Bloom when I first started -- it was a great work environment, people were really smart, creative, collaborative, and friendly. It was a place where the best ideas won and it didn’t matter if you were an intern or a PhD with 20 years of experience. On top of that the pay was alright for a start-up, the stock options were plentiful, and the benefits package was great.

Unfortunately, as Bloom grew things seemed to get political and deteriorate fast. Infighting became rampant, different teams started trying to sabotage each other, and things like normal engineering review meetings would always become finger pointing matches. Firefighting was the norm and instead of trying to prevent the fires, we started to celebrate the firefighters. I had hoped that these were just growing pains, but things seemed to always get worse.

Eventually, it got to the point where it was almost impossible to get anything done. As the hope of an IPO faded and budgets got smaller and smaller, the infighting and stonewalling reached epic proportions. Morale was abysmal and It was impossible to get lunch or grab a drink with coworkers without it become a total bitchfest.

By the time I left, almost all the hard working and talented engineers that I truly respected had already left the company in disgust. Instead of addressing all the issues the company was facing head on, management was always trying to paint a happy picture. Everyone saw through the BS and morale seemed to sink lower.

I really wish Bloom the best of luck and I hope they can make it to IPO one day, I just don’t think they’ll get there without some drastic changes but unfortunately it seems that no one there wants to make those changes much less even start talking about them.

Advice to Management

I get that Colin Powell is on the board of directors and that you all subscribe to his "perpetual optimism" belief. But be aware that your perpetual optimism starts looking like willful ignorance or blatant deception on a long enough timeline.

Open up, be transparent. Try being frank and honest about the challenges the company faces so that your employees can actually help you to solve those problems.

And most important of all, start rewarding collaboration and stop rewarding the infighting and politics.

"Assembly Technician Review"

Current Employee - Assembly Technician in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Assembly Technician in Newark, DE

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Company itself seems to be a good company. Working at Bloom Energy would not be too bad if you didn't have to go into the company as a contractor. (required for almost all employees)

Cons

The amount of favoritism is unbearable. Management is not the greatest, although they do seem to organize themselves accordingly. Bad hours: based on California's work hours. Little to no career opportunities and advancement opportunities. Go in as an assembly technician and you'll be in for a treat.

Advice to Management

As an Assembly Technician it is not within my concern or duty to allocate or manage company funds, but resources, time, and money seem to be wasted sufficiently.