Bloom Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Bloom Energy Principal Co-Founder & CEO K.R. Sridhar
K.R. Sridhar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to learn, meet smart people, advance one's career etc (in 9 reviews)

• Every team member is very nice, smart and hard-working (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours are the norm, employee perks and morale boosters are lacking (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of upper Management trust, support & direction (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Bloom for over 3 years, its honestly been a terrific experience, the culture they are trying to build in the Delaware facility is great and they have made great strides in continuously improving as they grow. The team members are some of the smartest most hardworking people I have ever worked with. The work is challenging and fulfilling, and the mission is a great one that I can really get behind.

Cons

If you are not self driven or have initiative you might get lost. Bloom is too small and too new to do a ton of hand holding, but if you ask for help there is always someone to help, you just have to have the initiative to reach out yourself.

Advice to Management

Work on better development opportunities for team members.

2. "Bloom is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart, hard-working people. Cutting edge technology. Great mission.

Cons

Long hours but fulfilling work.

Advice to Management

Keep employees informed of what's going on.

3. "Procurement Analyst"

Former Contractor - Procurement Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Procurement Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Procurement team at BE is an excellent team with very a leader with vision. Every team member is very nice, smart and hard-working. For people who just want to sit back and stay chilled, this team is tough to get involved; but for those who are anxious to learn, to grow, there is no another place better than procurement team at BE. Above average pay rate, good at recognizing hard work.

Cons

Less work-life balance, hard to get contractor transfer to full-time.

"Great company and great co workers"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with great vision and future. Talented engineers that foster a good work environment. Exciting and challenging on a daily basis.

Cons

There is a lot of firefighting; however, in the years that I've been there it is definitely getting better.

Although bloom offers decent health benefits, pay is not as competitive as other companies in the Silicon Valley and there are no matching retirement plans.

Advice to Management

Bloom tends to hire high level management who end up brining in many employees from their previous job which has proven disruptive to bloom culture and progress.

"Field Service"

Former Employee - Field Service in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company benefits, stock options, great HR, lots of overtime available, great support from fellow FS, plenty of training, constant ingenuity

Cons

Changing from startup to IPO changed everything, many of the people who sacrificed so much of their lives and time were let go (though well taken care of) to transition from the old way. Again though, a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Don't forget where you came from or who got you there.

"Great opportunities and culture in Newark, DE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

Pros

If you work at an established company where all processes and systems are already set up and running smooth and you feel like just a number in the system, Bloom is for you. Every project you work on has a direct impact to the company. Entrepreneurial culture. No one says “No, we can’t do that”, we say, “I don’t know how we are going to do that, but let’s figure it out!” Management in DE has vast experience in manufacturing, and very good at teaching and challenging the team. Exposed to (and expected to be involved with) a lot outside of your normal work area (engineering, finance, operations, supply chain, HR, etc.) Younger work force, feels like you are working with all your friends rather than just “co-workers” (a team and family culture). I am getting to do things I never thought I would have an opportunity to do in my career, with the setup of new facilities and manufacturing processes and systems. Must be willing to roll your sleeves up to get things done, but the job satisfaction and opportunities are sky high. Company is on the cusp of breaking through to something great, and opportunities and challenges are endless in Newark.

Cons

No 401k match, many late meetings with California team

"Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Bloom Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

Very knowledgeable engineers are willing to share their experience and knowledge. The vision and technology are great, and the growth opportunity is large.

Cons

1. Very hesitant to hire full time. Contracting ftw

8. "best company for those who want to make a positive difference to the world"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission, dedicated and committed colleagues, ability to make a difference using technical skill set

Cons

not a good fit for those who don't like taking risks or willing to work hard toward their goals..

Advice to Management

continue our small company feel and culture as we are growing bigger

"Great technology and lots of oppurtunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Bloom Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BE team of highly respected executives and hardworking workforce is going to take this technology available for everyone to reach. New cutting edge technology is constantly being developed to reduce cost and increase efficiency and productivity.

Cons

I've noticed that contractors have a lengthly conversion process to become regular employees. However I know they are working on fixing this issue.

Advice to Management

As the company grows and expands, have a career path designed for employees to acheive higher oppurtunities for growth.

10. "Vibrant work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

cutting edge engineering work, everyone is very smart & excited about their contributions, everyone wants the company to succeed, management is very clear on their goals for each team

Cons

since bloom energy is still a smaller company that has yet to go public, the compensation is a bit low, but you do get to work on very exciting projects and there's a huge possible upside if the company IPOs

Advice to Management

The management is very capable, and is very specific on the tasks they want each specific group to get done each quarter, the executive team is very inspirational.