BloomReach Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Mountain View, CA

4.1
Raj De Datta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance: overall, the company is very understanding and flexible with work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Free food, monthly outdoors, pool, tt, foosball (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • My reason for leaving can be epitomized by what I will remember as I left the company (in 4 reviews)

• Not as much career development in place but they are fixing that (in 4 reviews)

"They swing for the fences"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have seen ups and downs at BloomReach working here for more than 4 years. One of the things I appreciate most about the company is that they swing for the fences. They could have been content to stay a one-product company; they could have been satisfied just selling to commerce companies; they could have satisfied being just better than their competitors. BloomReach really and truly swings for the fences - they take calculated risks. They branched out of just site search, acquired a CMS company to build a true "digital experience platform", etc. The company is everything you would expect from an ambitious Silicon Valley company.

In addition to the ambition, I've had really good managers here and I have learned a tremendous amount in both the marketing and sales departments. It's a complicated, fun product to take to market and the caliber of people here is exceptional. I enjoy working with and respect the people around me.

Cons

No company is perfect, and BloomReach is no exception. There were times where we grew too fast and had to scale back. There were products that failed. There were times when we tried to do too much and spread ourselves too thin. There were integrations that went too long and things that break. It happens.

Advice to Management

Strategies change constantly, but keep over-communicating and sharing it with the rank and file. Don't stop innovating. The culture thrives when we feel that we're never content with where we are and want to take the business to the next level.

2. "Little Big Company"

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach full-time

Pros

The overarching theme around the pros at BloomReach is opportunity. Some manifestation of opportunities include:
    Global presence – While there are only a couple hundred employees, there are offices all over the world. You can work with folks in many different geos especially if you are in management. This also gives you good opportunities for travel.
    New people are needed – There has been lots of natural churn in the Mountain View (Headquarters) office. As a result, there are some basic functions that are not done well. This could be viewed as a con; however, if you are looking to make a name for yourself and have a big impact quickly, the opportunity is there.
    Enjoyable people – BloomReach has always hired good people. Almost everyone is interesting, and the company really does want people to have a good life at and outside of work.
    Real business – BloomReach is solving real issues and the solution is easy to monetize. If BloomReach does build a best in class digital experience platform, the company will be worth a lot of money.

Cons

BloomReach is not a rocket ship that will achieve unicorn stats in the next 12 months. The company is also at an influx in staffing. Most of the folks at BloomReach are driven and smart. There are some folks who are not in the right role. Many of these folks mail it in due to a lack of drive or because of overwhelming workloads.

Advice to Management

I personally found most of the executive team is very accessible. Almost everyone on the team is looking for feedback on how to grow/improve the company. Thus, I was able to deliver my ‘advice to management’ directly to the executive team.

3. "Place for Learning, Growing and Community"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Excellent leadership: I've seen this team navigate through some tough decisions and external changes. I never questioned the talent of this team or its commitment to doing what is best for the business
    -Motivating Vision: I've been at BR for 6 years, so I can confidently say that we are working on is ambitious and exciting. To be part of BloomReach is to part of a team that could define and shape consumers digital experience--an incredibly audacious and exciting feat
    -Great colleagues: I love the people I work with. They are smart, funny and committed to the company's success
    -Excellent culture: We often talk about our values. They are top of mind and real within the organization. This is part of what makes BloomReach special
    -Opportunities: Those of us who have spent years at BloomReach have had opportunities to take on new challenges and grow professionally. One of our stated employee goals is for BloomReach to be the most impactful professional experience of an employee's life. I can say that BloomReach has been this for me

Cons

-Speed and change: This is not the organisation for someone who wants to tread cautiously or have predictability. BloomReach is amazing in its ability to adapt quickly, but this also means that it takes on more and recalibrates more than a number of other organisations. Adaptability is the positive spin to this, but people who aren't the right fit may see this as problematic
    -Global organisation: You may have to work late or get up early to coordinate with global colleagues. Each team has its own means for doing this, but this isn't your SV centric business

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the digital experience platform vision. Keep up the good work.

4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good/smart people tackling deep Enterprise software challenges. Strong products and an evolved product strategy post acquisition early 2017. Aggressive compensation plans but challenging targets.

Cons

A lot of change. Change in the DNA of the company as it grows past early stage 'engineering culture' and into more of a 'sales culture'. Change in the distributed nature of the company with hubs now in Amsterdam, India & Dallas vs. everything in Mountain View. All relatively normal change in the evolution of a company in the $50m revenue range v. $10m range.

Advice to Management

Embrace the change and don't slow down. A lot of efforts working to retain legacy people that struggle with change. Move faster turning the legacy employees, bring in new people faster and don't let the challenge of scale slow down momentum.

"Strong Culture, Big Future, Lots of work ahead of us"

Former Employee - Head of Product in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Head of Product in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BloomReach is not your average start-up. Some of the finest talent works here and works in a highly team oriented collaborative and ego-less ways. That is rare. BloomReach is a calm, thoughtful, smart and analytical company. We respond not react to crisis. No one raises their voice. We debate and yes sometimes take too long to agree. People are empowered at every level to do their best, to voice their opinion, to share their ideas and make things happen. Of-course your ideas have to be good, you have to have to earned people's respect and trust before you are taken seriously. But if you do your homework, people pay attention.

Our first product, while it gave the company its cash flow, customer base and technology foundations has faced head winds in the market. That can happen to any start-up. Market forces are hard to over come head on. What I love about BloomReach is the resilience and persistence to keep launching new products, trying new things, coming together to solve problems and charting new paths. That persistence is rare.

BloomReach has a strong DNA of technology, sales and customer success. We have a history of winning large deals, retaining large customers and winning them back after losing them. That is rare. Our new products are selling. Our customer are happy. We are leaders in the e-commerce tech. market. We are experimenting with new models. We are re-tooling our operations. So, yes there is transition from the old ways. But for creative people who love building stuff and love new challenges, this is a game on environment.

Sure there are pockets of low morale, given the transitions, but large businesses don't build themselves. It takes the willingness to go through many many walls over many many years to cross the billion dollar finish line.

Ultimately it comes down to people. And can you learn from them. And whether you are doing work you can be proud of. There is no BS here. There is nothing that prevents you from becoming the best version of yourself here.

Cons

Things are in transition. Business, products, team, DNA. That can be great for some people; not so much for others.

Advice to Management

BloomReach needs to be more agile and execute at a higher velocity. More progress, less talk and motion. We also need to learn from others mistakes and play books. No need to reinvent everything. Over communicate the transition and the whys. Lead more emotionally, not just intellectually. Keep things simple.

"People are great, but left with a bad taste in my mouth"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people were great. Very talented on both the engineering side and the business side. I learned a lot of things there. Technology stack is solid. I really liked working here for my first 3+ years.

Cons

My reason for leaving can be epitomized by what I will remember as I left the company. I worked at the company for 4+ years and there were less than 100 employees there when I started. I survived layoffs, so I couldn't have been that bad of employee. You would think that after giving two weeks notice, the head of engineering would have thanked me for working there. He didn't say one word to me at all after I gave notice. No gratitude. No "Wish you lock at your new place". Sigh. Nothing.

If he can figure out who I am from this message, maybe he'll write to me through LinkedIn. That would soothe some of the sad feelings I have right now towards the company. Maybe I'll even take this part down. But yeah, it saddens me that it ended that way.

Advice to Management

When the company was smaller, upper management prided themselves that they treated the employees like "adults". Upper management also prides itself in the transparency it has when communicating with the lower level employees.

I still believe in the company, and I still believe it can be great. But you can't be honest with employees if you can't be honest with yourselves.

For a long while, this company would constantly invent new products and do the "let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks". That's real innovation! Quite a few of the products were duds. But some of it did stick! These were exciting times! It also kept happening until the company grew to around 150 or so.

But then this company stopped doing this and stuck with its main products. Which is a totally understandable thing to do. But when you do this, you're not a startup anymore. When you buy another company for innovation, you're not a startup anymore. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this.

However, up until my last days there, it seemed that upper management still wanted employees to believe that we were a startup. We once had a meeting where we were asked, "Who doesn't think we're innovating here? A show of hands?" Well, yeah, if you're gonna be technical about it, what R&D department doesn't innovate? It's called research and development for a reason. However, there's incremental innovation and there's "break the mold" innovation. BloomReach no longer does the latter kind. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but you can't tell employees that we still are a startup and have that kind of innovation.

So my advice is this: Try to find the magic that you had. This place used to be such an incredible place to work. It was my favorite job in my career up until the last year. Try to find that formula that made employees excited to work there rather than feel like commodities. Personally, I think what made the magic what the "break the mold" innovation. If you can do that again, the sky is the limit! Employees will truly believe that you innovate and you will be able to retain the best and the brightest. Right now, what you're doing isn't transparent. I think many employees are able to see through it, or at least are getting the sense that something is slightly off.

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best culture with Best places to work for 4 times in a row

Cons

Not really specific ones that I experienced

8. "enthusiastic and friendly environment"

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for almost 3.5 years
    Smart and friendly people.
    Encouraging manager and lots of emphasis on value.
    I experienced my manager/bloomreach went extra mile for helping me
    Some problems are really challenging and complex at BloomReach scale

Cons

Feedback system needs improvement.
    Challenge in syncing up with distributed engineering team.

9. "Innovative startup culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Interesting/innovative work, every engineer is working on projects which have high impact.
    Very smart people, a constant learning experience.
    Company cares about it employees.
    Strong long term strategy of evolving into a platform company.

Cons

Can't think of anything major.

"chaotic/ favoritism culture, no room to grow"

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people not holding any title are nice
    free food
    tgit
    flexible timings

Cons

cto left the company results change in culture, no innovation going away from its cultural values
    not engineering centric. culture of favoritism
    all engineering leaders and senior engineers left the company. few inexperienced engineers driving the engineering. they are more focused on their promotions and try to make upper level happy.
    transferring work to offshore office/india for cheap labor
    new head of engineering/CTO doesn’t gel well with people
    not worried about people leaving, no effort to stop people

Advice to Management

people are strength of any company, invest in them
    doesn’t make favoritism obvious, many engineers left company