BloomReach Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Mountain View, CA

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raj De Datta

1. "enthusiastic and friendly environment"

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for almost 3.5 years
    Smart and friendly people.
    Encouraging manager and lots of emphasis on value.
    I experienced my manager/bloomreach went extra mile for helping me
    Some problems are really challenging and complex at BloomReach scale

Cons

Feedback system needs improvement.
    Challenge in syncing up with distributed engineering team.

"People are great, but left with a bad taste in my mouth"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people were great. Very talented on both the engineering side and the business side. I learned a lot of things there. Technology stack is solid. I really liked working here for my first 3+ years.

Cons

My reason for leaving can be epitomized by what I will remember as I left the company. I worked at the company for 4+ years and there were less than 100 employees there when I started. I survived layoffs, so I couldn't have been that bad of employee. You would think that after giving two weeks notice, the head of engineering would have thanked me for working there. He didn't say one word to me at all after I gave notice. No gratitude. No "Wish you lock at your new place". Sigh. Nothing.

If he can figure out who I am from this message, maybe he'll write to me through LinkedIn. That would soothe some of the sad feelings I have right now towards the company. Maybe I'll even take this part down. But yeah, it saddens me that it ended that way.

Advice to Management

When the company was smaller, upper management prided themselves that they treated the employees like "adults". Upper management also prides itself in the transparency it has when communicating with the lower level employees.

I still believe in the company, and I still believe it can be great. But you can't be honest with employees if you can't be honest with yourselves.

For a long while, this company would constantly invent new products and do the "let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks". That's real innovation! Quite a few of the products were duds. But some of it did stick! These were exciting times! It also kept happening until the company grew to around 150 or so.

But then this company stopped doing this and stuck with its main products. Which is a totally understandable thing to do. But when you do this, you're not a startup anymore. When you buy another company for innovation, you're not a startup anymore. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this.

However, up until my last days there, it seemed that upper management still wanted employees to believe that we were a startup. We once had a meeting where we were asked, "Who doesn't think we're innovating here? A show of hands?" Well, yeah, if you're gonna be technical about it, what R&D department doesn't innovate? It's called research and development for a reason. However, there's incremental innovation and there's "break the mold" innovation. BloomReach no longer does the latter kind. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but you can't tell employees that we still are a startup and have that kind of innovation.

So my advice is this: Try to find the magic that you had. This place used to be such an incredible place to work. It was my favorite job in my career up until the last year. Try to find that formula that made employees excited to work there rather than feel like commodities. Personally, I think what made the magic what the "break the mold" innovation. If you can do that again, the sky is the limit! Employees will truly believe that you innovate and you will be able to retain the best and the brightest. Right now, what you're doing isn't transparent. I think many employees are able to see through it, or at least are getting the sense that something is slightly off.

3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best culture with Best places to work for 4 times in a row

Cons

Not really specific ones that I experienced

4. "Innovative startup culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Interesting/innovative work, every engineer is working on projects which have high impact.
    Very smart people, a constant learning experience.
    Company cares about it employees.
    Strong long term strategy of evolving into a platform company.

Cons

Can't think of anything major.

"chaotic/ favoritism culture, no room to grow"

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people not holding any title are nice
    free food
    tgit
    flexible timings

Cons

cto left the company results change in culture, no innovation going away from its cultural values
    not engineering centric. culture of favoritism
    all engineering leaders and senior engineers left the company. few inexperienced engineers driving the engineering. they are more focused on their promotions and try to make upper level happy.
    transferring work to offshore office/india for cheap labor
    new head of engineering/CTO doesn’t gel well with people
    not worried about people leaving, no effort to stop people

Advice to Management

people are strength of any company, invest in them
    doesn’t make favoritism obvious, many engineers left company

6. "Great culture, very smart people, enthusiastic team"

Former Intern - Product Engagement Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Product Engagement Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with very intelligent teammates who were engaged in their work and shared in the vision and values of the company. The company is a clear market leader and the technical founders and senior staff make this a great place to grow your career.

Cons

As a growth stage startup, there are processes and systems that are still being built out. This means one needs to be flexible and able to embrace uncertainties. Additionally, career advancement will also be less clear cut.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Start of struggle"

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great talent. Very smart and easy to work with people. Good work life balance. Amazing perks.

Cons

Not a lot of innovation after the CTO left the company. Company is struggling to get to profitability. There have been a lot of budget cuts eventually leading to lay off of 20% of the workforce. Not a lot of importance is given to career development of employees.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People are smart, helpful, fun
    - Exciting industry
    - Product adapts quickly to changes in the marketplace
    - Great benefits including free lunch and workout classes

Cons

- Unsure about future of company

"Good company, but there are other considerations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Lots of smart people. If you have a relevant skill, you'll be able to apply it. People are friendly, especially if you are open to new cultures and ways of thinking. Employees are valued and people are generally respected.

Cons

Company split between continents, strategy is disparate. None of the products offered as they exist now are good enough to get the company to IPO. The company is innovation starved, and trying to pour talent and resources into selling products that are only marginal improvements for clients. There is some attrition among higher level employees, reflecting that they believe growth prospects are better elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Be transparent about how decisions are made. Figure out what you need to do to let people learn and grow. But MOST IMPORTANTLY - recognize that the company needs to innovate to survive. Because management likes to hire "elite" people, they can forget that the company is starving for innovation and growth. Focus is divided between various products, and none of them is a home run (significantly better than competition).

"Phenomenal Experience- Elite Environment"

Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Highly motivated employees
    Only the most intelligent people have been hired
    Value driven culture of people over "results at any cost"
    Highly autonomous- Freedom is highly valued
    Very professional work environment- I have had no experience with hostility
    VERY profitable company- benefits are top-shelf. You will not find better perks at a company like this with less than 1000 employees anywhere

Cons

Disconnects exist between book-smart and actual intelligence
    Anyone and everyone can insert their opinion into your role
    It is difficult to give freedom to people who have never had it before. This means that people who step into BloomReach that have never self-managed will have a hard time unless they are disciplined.

When working with these types of people they can often hide behind the culture of being self-managed.
    Disagree with the rude and profane comments- this company is very friendly

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their goals.
    Be cautious, while I was there, some people seemed to be losing their urgency and were developing a culture of "tomorrow" - as in "I'll figure it out tomorrow"
    Ping Pong, Company night out, and etc is important, however- getting results should be in the fabric. I felt people were busy looking busy so that they could enjoy their perks

Example: engineers that take call booths to watch movies all day.