BloomReach Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Raj De Datta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And for a startup, there's a great work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Really good/smart people tackling deep Enterprise software challenges (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • My reason for leaving can be epitomized by what I will remember as I left the company (in 4 reviews)

• Not as much career development in place but they are fixing that (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good/smart people tackling deep Enterprise software challenges. Strong products and an evolved product strategy post acquisition early 2017. Aggressive compensation plans but challenging targets.

Cons

A lot of change. Change in the DNA of the company as it grows past early stage 'engineering culture' and into more of a 'sales culture'. Change in the distributed nature of the company with hubs now in Amsterdam, India & Dallas vs. everything in Mountain View. All relatively normal change in the evolution of a company in the $50m revenue range v. $10m range.

Advice to Management

Embrace the change and don't slow down. A lot of efforts working to retain legacy people that struggle with change. Move faster turning the legacy employees, bring in new people faster and don't let the challenge of scale slow down momentum.

2. "Making promises and reneging is no way to foster allegiance, innovation or a good work environment"

I worked at BloomReach full-time

Pros

It started out as a really remarkable company with a fantastic philosophy and culture of support and innovation and openness. Apparently some of that still hangs on in the perks, but seemingly not in the fundamentals of the company. It felt like a family to begin with and the promises of everyone being part of the outcomes and energy were a heady outlook to bring to work every day.

Cons

No faith in leadership. Losing the CTO in January 2016 was a gut punch to the company. It was felt strongly by engineers and senior management didn't seem to understand the impact their reactions would have on employees. It marked the beginning of a slow crumble.

My time with the company ended in a single morning with it as just a sad shell of what it had claimed to be with broken leadership and ultimate lies about commitment to employees. Closed door decisions on shredding 20% of the company's livelihoods - people who trusted the company to be true to its word - those are bad decisions. Ultimately, a much healthier group of people emerged from the purge of August 2016, but not without a great deal of pain and unnecessary tears. Bad business, imo, and certainly not what employees were led to believe would be acceptable at BR.

Advice to Management

Read that January 2016 Forbes article again. That "... CEO Followed 5 Steps To Keep Employees From Getting Screwed As It Raised $56 Million" article? That BLUEPRINT to how management ended up gutting the company? Go read it again. And realize that your actions impact lives and set the tenor for the rest of the time the company will be around.

People still try to do their jobs, but the anxiety won't go away. "Buying another company" (it felt like that company bought BR) after thrashing the workforce was a kick in the face. Is it going to happen again? Seems shedding employees has become the norm.

Talking to employees and working TOGETHER to get to an answer is what the company insinuated for years but simply was not the case. Follow your words. Think about being on the other side of those decisions. There have been some super smart people at BR and if consulted, they might have come to a really great and healthy decision on how to address any financial issues. Just my opinion, of course, but it seems solid.

A good team is a company's lifeblood and the good people on that team are people first. They work Just as hard as management to make the company succeed.

I think it's far too late, but if there's hope and promises are now in line with actions, you will: Be honest. Be open. Be supportive. Innovate. Listen. And, Be Honest.

"Strong Culture, Big Future, Lots of work ahead of us"

Former Employee - Head of Product in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Head of Product in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BloomReach is not your average start-up. Some of the finest talent works here and works in a highly team oriented collaborative and ego-less ways. That is rare. BloomReach is a calm, thoughtful, smart and analytical company. We respond not react to crisis. No one raises their voice. We debate and yes sometimes take too long to agree. People are empowered at every level to do their best, to voice their opinion, to share their ideas and make things happen. Of-course your ideas have to be good, you have to have to earned people's respect and trust before you are taken seriously. But if you do your homework, people pay attention.

Our first product, while it gave the company its cash flow, customer base and technology foundations has faced head winds in the market. That can happen to any start-up. Market forces are hard to over come head on. What I love about BloomReach is the resilience and persistence to keep launching new products, trying new things, coming together to solve problems and charting new paths. That persistence is rare.

BloomReach has a strong DNA of technology, sales and customer success. We have a history of winning large deals, retaining large customers and winning them back after losing them. That is rare. Our new products are selling. Our customer are happy. We are leaders in the e-commerce tech. market. We are experimenting with new models. We are re-tooling our operations. So, yes there is transition from the old ways. But for creative people who love building stuff and love new challenges, this is a game on environment.

Sure there are pockets of low morale, given the transitions, but large businesses don't build themselves. It takes the willingness to go through many many walls over many many years to cross the billion dollar finish line.

Ultimately it comes down to people. And can you learn from them. And whether you are doing work you can be proud of. There is no BS here. There is nothing that prevents you from becoming the best version of yourself here.

Cons

Things are in transition. Business, products, team, DNA. That can be great for some people; not so much for others.

Advice to Management

BloomReach needs to be more agile and execute at a higher velocity. More progress, less talk and motion. We also need to learn from others mistakes and play books. No need to reinvent everything. Over communicate the transition and the whys. Lead more emotionally, not just intellectually. Keep things simple.

"People are great, but left with a bad taste in my mouth"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people were great. Very talented on both the engineering side and the business side. I learned a lot of things there. Technology stack is solid. I really liked working here for my first 3+ years.

Cons

My reason for leaving can be epitomized by what I will remember as I left the company. I worked at the company for 4+ years and there were less than 100 employees there when I started. I survived layoffs, so I couldn't have been that bad of employee. You would think that after giving two weeks notice, the head of engineering would have thanked me for working there. He didn't say one word to me at all after I gave notice. No gratitude. No "Wish you lock at your new place". Sigh. Nothing.

If he can figure out who I am from this message, maybe he'll write to me through LinkedIn. That would soothe some of the sad feelings I have right now towards the company. Maybe I'll even take this part down. But yeah, it saddens me that it ended that way.

Advice to Management

When the company was smaller, upper management prided themselves that they treated the employees like "adults". Upper management also prides itself in the transparency it has when communicating with the lower level employees.

I still believe in the company, and I still believe it can be great. But you can't be honest with employees if you can't be honest with yourselves.

For a long while, this company would constantly invent new products and do the "let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks". That's real innovation! Quite a few of the products were duds. But some of it did stick! These were exciting times! It also kept happening until the company grew to around 150 or so.

But then this company stopped doing this and stuck with its main products. Which is a totally understandable thing to do. But when you do this, you're not a startup anymore. When you buy another company for innovation, you're not a startup anymore. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this.

However, up until my last days there, it seemed that upper management still wanted employees to believe that we were a startup. We once had a meeting where we were asked, "Who doesn't think we're innovating here? A show of hands?" Well, yeah, if you're gonna be technical about it, what R&D department doesn't innovate? It's called research and development for a reason. However, there's incremental innovation and there's "break the mold" innovation. BloomReach no longer does the latter kind. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but you can't tell employees that we still are a startup and have that kind of innovation.

So my advice is this: Try to find the magic that you had. This place used to be such an incredible place to work. It was my favorite job in my career up until the last year. Try to find that formula that made employees excited to work there rather than feel like commodities. Personally, I think what made the magic what the "break the mold" innovation. If you can do that again, the sky is the limit! Employees will truly believe that you innovate and you will be able to retain the best and the brightest. Right now, what you're doing isn't transparent. I think many employees are able to see through it, or at least are getting the sense that something is slightly off.

5. "enthusiastic and friendly environment"

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for almost 3.5 years
    Smart and friendly people.
    Encouraging manager and lots of emphasis on value.
    I experienced my manager/bloomreach went extra mile for helping me
    Some problems are really challenging and complex at BloomReach scale

Cons

Feedback system needs improvement.
    Challenge in syncing up with distributed engineering team.

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best culture with Best places to work for 4 times in a row

Cons

Not really specific ones that I experienced

7. "Innovative startup culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Interesting/innovative work, every engineer is working on projects which have high impact.
    Very smart people, a constant learning experience.
    Company cares about it employees.
    Strong long term strategy of evolving into a platform company.

Cons

Can't think of anything major.

"chaotic/ favoritism culture, no room to grow"

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people not holding any title are nice
    free food
    tgit
    flexible timings

Cons

cto left the company results change in culture, no innovation going away from its cultural values
    not engineering centric. culture of favoritism
    all engineering leaders and senior engineers left the company. few inexperienced engineers driving the engineering. they are more focused on their promotions and try to make upper level happy.
    transferring work to offshore office/india for cheap labor
    new head of engineering/CTO doesn’t gel well with people
    not worried about people leaving, no effort to stop people

Advice to Management

people are strength of any company, invest in them
    doesn’t make favoritism obvious, many engineers left company

"If you like to have an impact, come work for Bloomreach"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time

Pros

Bloomreach is a company that is solving really hard problems involving large scale and huge amounts of data. The quality of team is top notch. And everyone on the engineering team gets lots of ownership and opportunity. Great people, great problems, and big opportunities make it a great place to have impact. If someone cares about having an impact, Bloomreach is the place.

Cons

Lot of chaos and churn associated with a company that is going through a transition.

"Many pros and also many cons"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time

Pros

Co-workers are eager to help and very good at their professional. Have chance to build products and features with direct customer feedbacks.

Cons

Less investment on new technology. Spend too much time fulfilling customers random requests (which they forgot after few weeks.)

Advice to Management

Invest more on engineering stuff. Improve the depth of engineering in products.