BloomReach Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2017

5.0
Raj De Datta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance: overall, the company is very understanding and flexible with work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Free food, monthly outdoors, pool, tt, foosball (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • My reason for leaving can be epitomized by what I will remember as I left the company (in 4 reviews)

• Not as much career development in place but they are fixing that (in 4 reviews)

"They swing for the fences"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have seen ups and downs at BloomReach working here for more than 4 years. One of the things I appreciate most about the company is that they swing for the fences. They could have been content to stay a one-product company; they could have been satisfied just selling to commerce companies; they could have satisfied being just better than their competitors. BloomReach really and truly swings for the fences - they take calculated risks. They branched out of just site search, acquired a CMS company to build a true "digital experience platform", etc. The company is everything you would expect from an ambitious Silicon Valley company.

In addition to the ambition, I've had really good managers here and I have learned a tremendous amount in both the marketing and sales departments. It's a complicated, fun product to take to market and the caliber of people here is exceptional. I enjoy working with and respect the people around me.

Cons

No company is perfect, and BloomReach is no exception. There were times where we grew too fast and had to scale back. There were products that failed. There were times when we tried to do too much and spread ourselves too thin. There were integrations that went too long and things that break. It happens.

Advice to Management

Strategies change constantly, but keep over-communicating and sharing it with the rank and file. Don't stop innovating. The culture thrives when we feel that we're never content with where we are and want to take the business to the next level.

2. "Place to grow your career!"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome business and great technical challenges for engineers looking for career growth!

- business is back to growth trend after shaking for a while
    - executive team is very clear and firm about where the company is going
    - main product is making money and growing with big-name customers
    - great growth opportunity for engineers: enough technical challenges, open system and enough senior leadership. you can learn about anything as long as you want.
    - competitive compensation in cash. you cannot easily compare the equity value with other company, but the base+bonus is definitely competitive in bay area.
    - still low strike price stock options compared the last round of funding
    - if you like exercise: exercise class 4 days/ week, nice running trail close to office, healthy food provider 3 lunches/week

Cons

- people churn: early stage employee mostly left after getting enough equity, while the system is quite complicated. if you cannot learn by yourself, then you'll find it challenge).
    - crying baby cannot be successful here. remember: it's a 9 year company but still a startup.
    - eng culture is close to google: people with too specific experience cannot be successful here. you need to be broad or learn to be broad.
    - lack of conference room

Advice to Management

continuously update people with most recent business trend and educate people with startup culture

3. "Place for Learning, Growing and Community"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Excellent leadership: I've seen this team navigate through some tough decisions and external changes. I never questioned the talent of this team or its commitment to doing what is best for the business
    -Motivating Vision: I've been at BR for 6 years, so I can confidently say that we are working on is ambitious and exciting. To be part of BloomReach is to part of a team that could define and shape consumers digital experience--an incredibly audacious and exciting feat
    -Great colleagues: I love the people I work with. They are smart, funny and committed to the company's success
    -Excellent culture: We often talk about our values. They are top of mind and real within the organization. This is part of what makes BloomReach special
    -Opportunities: Those of us who have spent years at BloomReach have had opportunities to take on new challenges and grow professionally. One of our stated employee goals is for BloomReach to be the most impactful professional experience of an employee's life. I can say that BloomReach has been this for me

Cons

-Speed and change: This is not the organisation for someone who wants to tread cautiously or have predictability. BloomReach is amazing in its ability to adapt quickly, but this also means that it takes on more and recalibrates more than a number of other organisations. Adaptability is the positive spin to this, but people who aren't the right fit may see this as problematic
    -Global organisation: You may have to work late or get up early to coordinate with global colleagues. Each team has its own means for doing this, but this isn't your SV centric business

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the digital experience platform vision. Keep up the good work.

"Strong Culture, Big Future, Lots of work ahead of us"

Former Employee - Head of Product in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Head of Product in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BloomReach is not your average start-up. Some of the finest talent works here and works in a highly team oriented collaborative and ego-less ways. That is rare. BloomReach is a calm, thoughtful, smart and analytical company. We respond not react to crisis. No one raises their voice. We debate and yes sometimes take too long to agree. People are empowered at every level to do their best, to voice their opinion, to share their ideas and make things happen. Of-course your ideas have to be good, you have to have to earned people's respect and trust before you are taken seriously. But if you do your homework, people pay attention.

Our first product, while it gave the company its cash flow, customer base and technology foundations has faced head winds in the market. That can happen to any start-up. Market forces are hard to over come head on. What I love about BloomReach is the resilience and persistence to keep launching new products, trying new things, coming together to solve problems and charting new paths. That persistence is rare.

BloomReach has a strong DNA of technology, sales and customer success. We have a history of winning large deals, retaining large customers and winning them back after losing them. That is rare. Our new products are selling. Our customer are happy. We are leaders in the e-commerce tech. market. We are experimenting with new models. We are re-tooling our operations. So, yes there is transition from the old ways. But for creative people who love building stuff and love new challenges, this is a game on environment.

Sure there are pockets of low morale, given the transitions, but large businesses don't build themselves. It takes the willingness to go through many many walls over many many years to cross the billion dollar finish line.

Ultimately it comes down to people. And can you learn from them. And whether you are doing work you can be proud of. There is no BS here. There is nothing that prevents you from becoming the best version of yourself here.

Cons

Things are in transition. Business, products, team, DNA. That can be great for some people; not so much for others.

Advice to Management

BloomReach needs to be more agile and execute at a higher velocity. More progress, less talk and motion. We also need to learn from others mistakes and play books. No need to reinvent everything. Over communicate the transition and the whys. Lead more emotionally, not just intellectually. Keep things simple.

5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best culture with Best places to work for 4 times in a row

Cons

Not really specific ones that I experienced

6. "Innovative startup culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Interesting/innovative work, every engineer is working on projects which have high impact.
    Very smart people, a constant learning experience.
    Company cares about it employees.
    Strong long term strategy of evolving into a platform company.

Cons

Can't think of anything major.

"If you like to have an impact, come work for Bloomreach"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time

Pros

Bloomreach is a company that is solving really hard problems involving large scale and huge amounts of data. The quality of team is top notch. And everyone on the engineering team gets lots of ownership and opportunity. Great people, great problems, and big opportunities make it a great place to have impact. If someone cares about having an impact, Bloomreach is the place.

Cons

Lot of chaos and churn associated with a company that is going through a transition.

8. "Great culture, very smart people, enthusiastic team"

Former Intern - Product Engagement Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Product Engagement Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BloomReach as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with very intelligent teammates who were engaged in their work and shared in the vision and values of the company. The company is a clear market leader and the technical founders and senior staff make this a great place to grow your career.

Cons

As a growth stage startup, there are processes and systems that are still being built out. This means one needs to be flexible and able to embrace uncertainties. Additionally, career advancement will also be less clear cut.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People are smart, helpful, fun
    - Exciting industry
    - Product adapts quickly to changes in the marketplace
    - Great benefits including free lunch and workout classes

Cons

- Unsure about future of company

10. "Amazing Company, Transparent with Employees"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executives are very transparent with all employees
    Smart coworkers that are subject matter experts
    Great benefits across the board
    Collaborative work environment
    Really interesting challenges
    At the core of a growing industry

Cons

Not a place for someone who needs institutional hierarchy for management
    Duties can expand or change quickly as it is a tech startup environment

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and transparent with employees about long term company plans