BloomReach Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Raj De Datta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance: overall, the company is very understanding and flexible with work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Free food, monthly outdoors, pool, tt, foosball (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great place to start your career"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- AMAZING colleagues. Super fun, super smart, super technical and plain awesome. Glad to say I have made not just colleagues, but friends at Bloomreach.
    - Catered breakfast and lunch, and a fully stocked cafeteria which ensures you will NEVER be hungry at BR (And also keeps the Cafeteria as the most buzzing place in office)
    - A very comfortable mixed office plan. Everyone has a cubicle where you can share ideas and work with your team, but if you want to plug in, then you have a lot of open access rooms where you can work without being disturbed. It's the best of both worlds. Oh, and there's also a couple standing desks for people who prefer them
    - Very strong focus on ownership. Most components are owned by teams of 2-3 engineers and there is a lot of freedom given to how you want to design/architect systems. Great place to experiment for newbies in the field.
    - Casual work timings. Irrespective of WFH or timings preferences, you'll never find BR complain. As long as you get stuff done, you can work wherever you want.
    - Lots of fun events. TGIT (not TGIF because most folks leave early on Fridays :P) events, movie outings, team outings, office cricket, Table Tennis, Foosball, etc. ensure you are never bored.

Cons

- Slightly slowed down growth since last couple quarters.
    - A couple layoffs recently left a bad taste in the mouth.
    - No fixed strategy for growth within the company. Positions within company are mostly random, and sadly more used as retention tools than to promote innovation/skill. Bloomreach was usually known for no hierarchy, but now we have an introduced hierarchy which is worse than pointless.
    - Less resources in R&D over last couple quarters. Can be attributed to maturing as a company, depending on whom you ask.
    - Huge churn across company because of previous reasons

Advice to Management

Bloomreach was an awesome place and remains among the best places to work at. Some decisions which seem like teething issues for a growing company have been allowed to fester for too long, leading to the beginnings of a toxic culture. Action needs to be taken to ensure that the churn is reduced ASAP and we start actually start working to ensure the BR culture, which has taken a hit recently, is brought back to the forefront. BR was an amazing Engg driven company, and we can bring it back to that if there is an all round push for innovation and an increased maturity for business decisions.

"Gr8 people, decent product, pathetic management"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* the best coworkers you can find. Smart, technically strong, helpful and keep office fun.
    * work life balance is supported. Teammates work from home when they feel like it, and timings are very flexible as long as you get work done.
    * free food in pantry and once in a while team outings for movies or just dinner is fun.
    * good pay, but hikes are very market dependent (~5 -20% per year)

Cons

* mad decisions by exec team which is looking desperately to exit. Company vision has changed 3 times in 2 years and most engineering is simply whitewashing old stuff to suit new vision. No investment in RnD since a year, and made more clear by 2nd CTO leaving earlier this year
    * crazy churn over the last year or so because of #1. Mostly all senior team mates have left and in many teams left a vast hole of incomplete knowledge of workings of many systems.
    * very little scope for growth. even when people leave, people are hired from outside to fill positions instead of growing within the org. most people promoted in org are so only for sticking around long enough and having ear of execs or threatening to leave instead of proficiency. many people in #2 left because of this.
    * middle management is pointless because no one seems to care about product. everyone simply covering their heads and eating pointless decisions by execs.
    * verbal promises made but not kept by middle management about team changes, hikes, promotions, everything.
    * bloomreach culture, which used to hold meaning is now simply a pointless set of words we talk about when giving each other awards every quarter
    * since acquiring hippo, it looks like whole exec team just wants to work on promoting hippo instead of what we all built together for 4+ years.

Advice to Management

get your game together. 2 years of horrible decisions is why br is where it is today. you can blame market conditions as much as you want, but unfortunately you all know that you made and continue making forecasts which are impossible to follow. br culture was a big reason for joining because my friend kept talking about it, and I firsthand saw it till last year or so, but since then it looks like the exec team has an okr each quarter to make bloomreach suck just a little more. if you continue this, very soon, the whole eng team will have left to places where they are actually appreciated. new CTO needs to make bloomreach a tech-first company again.

3. "They swing for the fences"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have seen ups and downs at BloomReach working here for more than 4 years. One of the things I appreciate most about the company is that they swing for the fences. They could have been content to stay a one-product company; they could have been satisfied just selling to commerce companies; they could have satisfied being just better than their competitors. BloomReach really and truly swings for the fences - they take calculated risks. They branched out of just site search, acquired a CMS company to build a true "digital experience platform", etc. The company is everything you would expect from an ambitious Silicon Valley company.

In addition to the ambition, I've had really good managers here and I have learned a tremendous amount in both the marketing and sales departments. It's a complicated, fun product to take to market and the caliber of people here is exceptional. I enjoy working with and respect the people around me.

Cons

No company is perfect, and BloomReach is no exception. There were times where we grew too fast and had to scale back. There were products that failed. There were times when we tried to do too much and spread ourselves too thin. There were integrations that went too long and things that break. It happens.

Advice to Management

Strategies change constantly, but keep over-communicating and sharing it with the rank and file. Don't stop innovating. The culture thrives when we feel that we're never content with where we are and want to take the business to the next level.

4. "Place to grow your career!"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome business and great technical challenges for engineers looking for career growth!

- business is back to growth trend after shaking for a while
    - executive team is very clear and firm about where the company is going
    - main product is making money and growing with big-name customers
    - great growth opportunity for engineers: enough technical challenges, open system and enough senior leadership. you can learn about anything as long as you want.
    - competitive compensation in cash. you cannot easily compare the equity value with other company, but the base+bonus is definitely competitive in bay area.
    - still low strike price stock options compared the last round of funding
    - if you like exercise: exercise class 4 days/ week, nice running trail close to office, healthy food provider 3 lunches/week

Cons

- people churn: early stage employee mostly left after getting enough equity, while the system is quite complicated. if you cannot learn by yourself, then you'll find it challenge).
    - crying baby cannot be successful here. remember: it's a 9 year company but still a startup.
    - eng culture is close to google: people with too specific experience cannot be successful here. you need to be broad or learn to be broad.
    - lack of conference room

Advice to Management

continuously update people with most recent business trend and educate people with startup culture

5. "Great company going through some growing pains"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Great people: you can easily connect with the people that you work with--I have maintained friendships with many (beyond just within the office) who have left the company. On the flip side, it makes things very difficult when people leave.
    2. Good work/life balance: overall, the company is very understanding and flexible with work/life balance.
    3. Culture: When I first started working here and we were growing quickly, we had a great sense of culture and cohesion. We've lost some of that recently, but the leadership team is willing to recognize this and address the problem.
    4. Encouraging managers: this one is a bit of luck-of-the-draw. I have been fortunate to work with really great managers who have helped me grow, but also recognize that there are other managers here who aren't great at managing.

Cons

1. Many organizational changes that come fast/hard to keep up with: lots of personnel shuffling within the org.
    2. Attrition: high attrition recently makes it difficult to maintain a sense of close culture.
    3. Meetings @ weird hours: because we're a global company, you find yourself on calls at 7:00AM or 10PM sometimes.

Advice to Management

It's okay if things aren't always going that well--just be transparent if they are not and don't sugarcoat things. We're all grown-ups and are working toward the same goal as you: to help this company be successful.

6. "MTS"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Good Technologies
    Very talented colleagues (most of them )
    Decent joining offer
    Good work life balance

Cons

Too many lay offs
    Some of the senior engineers have zero knowledge or experience.
    Not giving the promised bonus
    No business growth. too many customers are leaving
    Too less number of engineers in the company
    Absolutely zero career growth

7. "Place for Learning, Growing and Community"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Excellent leadership: I've seen this team navigate through some tough decisions and external changes. I never questioned the talent of this team or its commitment to doing what is best for the business
    -Motivating Vision: I've been at BR for 6 years, so I can confidently say that we are working on is ambitious and exciting. To be part of BloomReach is to part of a team that could define and shape consumers digital experience--an incredibly audacious and exciting feat
    -Great colleagues: I love the people I work with. They are smart, funny and committed to the company's success
    -Excellent culture: We often talk about our values. They are top of mind and real within the organization. This is part of what makes BloomReach special
    -Opportunities: Those of us who have spent years at BloomReach have had opportunities to take on new challenges and grow professionally. One of our stated employee goals is for BloomReach to be the most impactful professional experience of an employee's life. I can say that BloomReach has been this for me

Cons

-Speed and change: This is not the organisation for someone who wants to tread cautiously or have predictability. BloomReach is amazing in its ability to adapt quickly, but this also means that it takes on more and recalibrates more than a number of other organisations. Adaptability is the positive spin to this, but people who aren't the right fit may see this as problematic
    -Global organisation: You may have to work late or get up early to coordinate with global colleagues. Each team has its own means for doing this, but this isn't your SV centric business

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the digital experience platform vision. Keep up the good work.

8. "One of the best place to work in Bangalore"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Brilliant colleagues. Every day you can learn something new from them
    - Awesome perks. Free food, monthly outdoors, pool, tt, foosball
    - Lots of learning. In my short stint, I had the opportunity to work in frontend, backend, ML pipelines
    - Ownership. Every piece of technology is owned by small group of engineers

Cons

- Not much focus on employee growth

Advice to Management

- Maintain the level of transparency
    - Have more focused goal

9. "One of the best core tech companies around"

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Amazing colleagues. Bloomreach has a really high bar, and you will notice it the moment you walk in. They are smart, dedicated, and most importantly, humble and friendly.
    2. Ownership: Bloomreach works on big projects, but everything is owned by small teams. You will always have a lot of work to do and the autonomy to do it the way you see fit (provided you get a sign off from your peers).
    3. Good culture: good compensation, perks, and wonderful HR team make it a fun place to work.

Cons

Career growth opportunities are not clearly defined.

Advice to Management

In India, there should be more encouragement to become an overall engineering-focused organization. This involves more than just delivering on our work. Bloomreach should encourage research, 20% projects, and developer outreach.

10. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at BloomReach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good/smart people tackling deep Enterprise software challenges. Strong products and an evolved product strategy post acquisition early 2017. Aggressive compensation plans but challenging targets.

Cons

A lot of change. Change in the DNA of the company as it grows past early stage 'engineering culture' and into more of a 'sales culture'. Change in the distributed nature of the company with hubs now in Amsterdam, India & Dallas vs. everything in Mountain View. All relatively normal change in the evolution of a company in the $50m revenue range v. $10m range.

Advice to Management

Embrace the change and don't slow down. A lot of efforts working to retain legacy people that struggle with change. Move faster turning the legacy employees, bring in new people faster and don't let the challenge of scale slow down momentum.