Bloomberg BNA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 9, 2018

3.4
Josh Eastright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The benefits are terrific, as is the work/life balance" (in 25 reviews)

• "Good compensation for the cost of living in DC, good benefits and relocation bonus" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "It may seem that it provides a collaborative work environment; however, it is very distracting, making it hard to concentrate" (in 8 reviews)

• "This is the biggest challenge of working at Bloomberg BNA" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Intern"

Pros

A lot of learning, freedom, and hands on activities. There also is a huge pantry with free breakfast/lunch foods. Everyone that interned there also had the opportunity to earn a full time position through the Start Program.

Cons

Aside from the other interns you really don't have interaction with anyone else in the office (which is pretty large)

Advice to Management

Incorporate the interns with the full time employees some how. Other than that it's great.

2. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training, flexible schedule, fantastic benefits, great income potential

Cons

Some markets are tougher than others

3. "Bloomberg BNA"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Great company, fantastic training experience

Cons

Hard training program, must move

"Stay away...!"

Former Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The pantry (75% of the time)
    - The people and employee resource groups

Cons

I accepted this position because I went through a recent transition and needed income. I felt overly qualified for the position, but honestly tried to put my best foot forward. After I started working, I realized that I really liked my co-workers and didn't mind the work. However, my biggest obstacle was management and HR . My manager was absolutely horrible. They were not competent, passive-aggressive, moody, and honestly I'm not even sure they were fully aware of how ignorant they were to certain issues. Manager became upset when I refused to befriend them, and when I decided not to make social media pages for the company. They also badgered another manager I met with, after manager suspected I wanted to move teams. Manager even made me succumb to daily meetings, where I would re-hash the same thing over and over. I really could go on, but when I advised HR of manager’s incompetence, they advised that they were aware, but failed to state if they would change that --- I was told, the manager would be getting a new boss. That, in my opinion, does not stop manager from being such a horrible boss. After advising manager that I did not believe DAILY morning meetings were necessary, manager ended up being really snake like and laying me off before my probation ended. I was already interviewing elsewhere and had just accepted another position, so loosing the job did not hurt one bit. I just don’t like that the manager is in a position, of which they are obviously not qualified for.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting unqualified managers -- Demote unqualified managers -- Don't promote someone just because they're good at kissing up to upper management.

5. "START Program to Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently graduated the START training program and have moved into a full time Account Executive position.

My advice to anyone reading this post is to take any of the negative reviews that you see on here with a grain of salt. For me, choosing to enter the START program after college was the best decision for my young professional career.

You would be hard pressed to find a year long role for which you are compensated (generously) and expected to do nothing more than to learn the product and train to be a top sales rep within the organization. I would be happy to recommend this position to any young professional looking to take there career further than the norm this early.

The program is certainly challenging at times but a truly feel confident in how prepared I am to take on field sales for this organization after the last year. There are times where you work long hours beyond a 9-5 however, management recognizes top performers and will reward those who are willing to go the extra step.

Again, as a graduate of the START program I feel extremely thankful to have had this opportunity and would recommend this program to anyone who is serious about elevating their sales career beyond what can typically be found at any other organization.

Cons

When you are in the program there is no guarantee of where you will move for you territory - how ever you will have options and the ability to choose from the options available ~3 months before moving out from the Arlington, VA office.

While this may cause some stress, it works out in the end. I was able to interview and move into the exact territory I wanted 3 months before training ended.

6. "Very hard place to work"

Pros

Some of the BNA people and some of Bloomberg people are competent and caring people. Decent benefits and pantry was nice.

Cons

Company does not support or appreciate its operations roles. Management was more interested in telling a story to further their own advancement than build a better product that people want. This created a backstabbing and unprofessional culture.

Advice to Management

Product needs work and the company vision of “who do we want to be” is dramatically out of line with what the legal and tax community wants, so business will continue to decline.

"reporter"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be able to have a good work/life balance. To some extend, that continues

Cons

Pay. Poor editing. Management indecisive, unable to communicate policy across division -- that's because Bloomberg BNA managers are only concerned with impressing higher-ups and, ultimately, Bloomberg LP. Always second-guessing themselves and every they manage. Company recently laid off 50 reporters and editors, as well as 25 managers (rough-but-close numbers); more layoffs expected in 1Q. Little training offered to reporters/editors. Training that is offered is let by long-time in-house managers who lack the skills and credible work experience. Reporters, many of whom have JDs, with experience are treated as cub reporters.

Advice to Management

Where would I start?

8. "Cool place"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Great environment. Young staff. Looks good on a resume

Cons

Can get stale dealing with politics daily

9. "Heading in the right direction"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with smart people;
    Good pay;
    Good benefits;
    Good volunteer opportunities;
    Matching on charitable contributions;
    Outlook for the future is great -- senior management seems to be committed to building something bigger, and in investing in great technology

Cons

Management is not great -- most managers are evaluated as individual contributors, not held accountable for how they work with their teams;
    Generous in some regards (pay and benefits) but weirdly stingy in others (conferences and training)

"Run away! very high turnover rate because work is so grueling"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

great benefits, work from home, and decent salary and commission

Cons

Very high turnover rate. You have to make 100's of cold calls every week and are expected to have 10 appts a week (which no one really can do, week after week). You don't get credit for repeat customers (customers renewing their contract every year, which is common). You only get credit for net new business, so you're constantly "chasing the carrot". Your territory has been overworked by every sales person before you, so your customers don't want to see you. I eventually found out that I was the 6th sales rep to work my territory in the last 11 years (most sales reps quit or get fired after 1-2 years of working there). The ones that stay are really stressed.
    They have "cold calling" day once or twice a month, which I used to dread (along with most other reps). Basically, all the reps on the team compete against each other to make as many appts as possible in 1 day. (5 is the expectation). So, if you only get 2 or 3 for the day, your manager will call/email you angrily asking why you didn't get more, lay a guilt trip on you, and put even more pressure on you. No matter how hard you work, it's never good enough in their eyes.

Advice to Management

Michael Bloomberg is the real problem. Yeah, he's a billionaire - but he also has the attitude of what you do is never good enough. you need to be working harder (even if you're over plan). The company will never change - this is just the culture of the company. if you enjoy being worked to death, then this company is for you.