Bloomberg BNA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 12, 2019

3.2
Josh Eastright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The benefits are terrific, as is the work/life balance" (in 25 reviews)

• "Good compensation for the cost of living in DC, good benefits and relocation bonus" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "It may seem that it provides a collaborative work environment; however, it is very distracting, making it hard to concentrate" (in 8 reviews)

• "The initial buyout was very beneficial for longtime employees who owned a lot of stock in this former employee-owned company" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Intern"

Pros

A lot of learning, freedom, and hands on activities. There also is a huge pantry with free breakfast/lunch foods. Everyone that interned there also had the opportunity to earn a full time position through the Start Program.

Cons

Aside from the other interns you really don't have interaction with anyone else in the office (which is pretty large)

Advice to Management

Incorporate the interns with the full time employees some how. Other than that it's great.

2. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training, flexible schedule, fantastic benefits, great income potential

Cons

Some markets are tougher than others

"Stay away from this company."

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are somewhat good

Cons

Horrible place. You cannot go to HR when you have a compliant since all they do is fire people or they partner up with managers to help get rid of you

Advice to Management

Hopefully upper mamagement will open their eyes.

"No room to grow"

Current Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Healthcare and union are the best part of BNA. Their ERG's are also great but managers (especially in news) don't really promote participation.

Cons

Very little diversity and opportunity to move up in the company. They will expect you to do the same work as others but will not even consider you for a raise.

"Company in transition"

Former Employee - Senior Legal Editor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Legal Editor in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

smart & generally collaborative, friendly co-workers; sometimes interesting work; opportunities for creative work if in the right position

Cons

micro-mangers sweating to please the Bloomberg corporate heads in NYC; pressure flows downward; ever-changing editorial directions. It will be interesting to see what Bloomberg ultimately decides to do with BNA, a formerly independent, employee-owned, niche legal publisher. My sense is Bloomberg wants to reshape BNA in its own image, for better or for worse, regardless of customer preference.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility on editorial decisions to middle manager and rank & file professionals. Don't try to fit all into same cookie cutter or technological fad of the day.

"Administrator"

Former Employee - Other Business in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Other Business in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

A huge pantry and some nice people. But too much changes and a lot of office politics

Cons

Not a good place to work

7. "Bloomberg BNA"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Great company, fantastic training experience

Cons

Hard training program, must move

"Stay away...!"

Former Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The pantry (75% of the time)
    - The people and employee resource groups

Cons

I accepted this position because I went through a recent transition and needed income. I felt overly qualified for the position, but honestly tried to put my best foot forward. After I started working, I realized that I really liked my co-workers and didn't mind the work. However, my biggest obstacle was management and HR . My manager was absolutely horrible. They were not competent, passive-aggressive, moody, and honestly I'm not even sure they were fully aware of how ignorant they were to certain issues. Manager became upset when I refused to befriend them, and when I decided not to make social media pages for the company. They also badgered another manager I met with, after manager suspected I wanted to move teams. Manager even made me succumb to daily meetings, where I would re-hash the same thing over and over. I really could go on, but when I advised HR of manager’s incompetence, they advised that they were aware, but failed to state if they would change that --- I was told, the manager would be getting a new boss. That, in my opinion, does not stop manager from being such a horrible boss. After advising manager that I did not believe DAILY morning meetings were necessary, manager ended up being really snake like and laying me off before my probation ended. I was already interviewing elsewhere and had just accepted another position, so loosing the job did not hurt one bit. I just don’t like that the manager is in a position, of which they are obviously not qualified for.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting unqualified managers -- Demote unqualified managers -- Don't promote someone just because they're good at kissing up to upper management.

"Seems to care more about pleasing parent company than getting the news correct"

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Almost all pros come from the union, such as benefits and reasonable hours. Managers will ask you to stay late, but will relent if you remind them that you’re entitled to be paid under the contract.

Cons

I speak as a former employee and also a subscriber, through my current role.

Management is ignoring its customers' needs and blaming its failures on the writers. The company says it wants to be authoritative and analytical, but is instituting policies that lead to shallow and often incorrect articles. Some of the policies:

- Hiring team leaders and managing editors who refuse to learn about their legal area and show disdain for the nuances and details that are important for the specialized readership that pay a lot for subscriptions.
    - Demanding stories be written in very short time frames, leading to articles that miss the point of a case, conflate different legal concepts, and generally shallow writing that isn’t useful. This ultimately hurts the younger journalists who have their names attached to low quality and incorrect articles.
    - Dumbing down stories- yes it’s good to avoid jargon if you can, but some of these differences really matter to your audience (burden of persuasion vs. burden of production, for example). This leads to imprecision and stories being wrong.
    - Some managers are refusing requests to correct articles that get legal concepts completely wrong.

Management’s stated goal now is that they’re going to beat Law360, but they’re copying a model that Law360 abandoned years ago. Law360 is still dealing with a reputation for being fast but often getting things wrong, and in response has lowered their story count requirements to give their writers more time. BNA used to be known for being accurate and authoritative, but management has abandoned that goal.

I know have access to both, and it pains me to say that Law360’s stories are more useful.

Advice to Management

Focus on what your paying customers need, rather than trying to impress the execs at Bloomberg LP who cater to a different audience. Convince LP that BNA readers have different needs, and just because equity traders want 50 word stories, lawyers probably don’t.

Stop hiring managers who show disdain for nuance, under some mistaken idea that these people know how to “simplify” complex ideas (they don’t).

Stop thinking that every word that you don’t understand is “jargon.”

10. "START Program to Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently graduated the START training program and have moved into a full time Account Executive position.

My advice to anyone reading this post is to take any of the negative reviews that you see on here with a grain of salt. For me, choosing to enter the START program after college was the best decision for my young professional career.

You would be hard pressed to find a year long role for which you are compensated (generously) and expected to do nothing more than to learn the product and train to be a top sales rep within the organization. I would be happy to recommend this position to any young professional looking to take there career further than the norm this early.

The program is certainly challenging at times but a truly feel confident in how prepared I am to take on field sales for this organization after the last year. There are times where you work long hours beyond a 9-5 however, management recognizes top performers and will reward those who are willing to go the extra step.

Again, as a graduate of the START program I feel extremely thankful to have had this opportunity and would recommend this program to anyone who is serious about elevating their sales career beyond what can typically be found at any other organization.

Cons

When you are in the program there is no guarantee of where you will move for you territory - how ever you will have options and the ability to choose from the options available ~3 months before moving out from the Arlington, VA office.

While this may cause some stress, it works out in the end. I was able to interview and move into the exact territory I wanted 3 months before training ended.