Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends

1,029 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Bloomberg's work-life balance isn't for all (in 80 reviews)

• Long hours, poor work-life balance (in 134 reviews)

"Great company to start your career."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, great work life balance, great salary and awesome perks.

Cons

Legacy technology and lot's of processes.

2. "Review"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good, coworkers are pretty good.

Cons

Some old technology and archaic build/deployment infrastructure, depending on group.

"Not the worst place ever, but pretty close"

Former Contractor - Talent Experience Specialist/Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting company events, free snacks (although budget cuts are obvious and prevalent).

Cons

I worked in Human Resources at Bloomberg for 2+ years. The management is despicable. It's the type of place that promotes people who are there the longest, and unless you're the best at sucking up- you won't go far.

Employees are always trying to get a piece of others' work in order to share some of the spotlight. My manager continued to tell me I was the best hire he had ever made and that I was doing a great job. However, there would be nothing next for me. Bonus? No. More responsibility? No. Next career step? Never. Ultimately, a new manager was moved from one team to mine after a senior manager left, and things only got worse.

After being very successful in everything I did (hiring, relocation, immigration, program management, etc...), this new manager told me I could never again do some of the tasks I was doing before her joining my team because "It wasn't my job". By the same manager, I was scolded because she did not like a sweater that I wore one day (a normal, tan sweater). She told me that "I needed to look in the mirror every morning and ask myself if she would wear it, and if it wasn't a loud yes, I should change."

Bloomberg prides themselves on transparency- literally gloats that there is so much glass in the office to represent the transparency of the office. What a joke. Everything that takes place is "sensitive" or "confidential." Over the past year there has been an exodus of employees from this company because plain and simple, it is a miserable place to be.

Advice to Management

Actually uphold your "meritocracy" preaching, instead of promoting the "yes" people who tell you how great you are.

Also, lying to employees to get them to do what you want is never an acceptable thing to do.

"Analytics"

Current Employee - Financial Product Sales and Analytics in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Product Sales and Analytics in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Great Job Benefits and perks. Beautiful Office.

Cons

Luck of the draw - Can be the most stressful job you will ever have. Hated every minute of the Analytics department.

5. "Good Employer"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has great benefits and numerous perks (museum access, memberships etc). Pay is competitive and growth depends on success level and tenure.

Cons

Commmission is not a part of the compensation structure. Career advancement can depend on timing. Goals and Metrics are sometimes vague and challenging.

Advice to Management

Goals and metrics can be more clearly defined. Incentive structure can be better aligned to accommodate collaboration. Management can play a larger role in advancing your career

"Awesome company"

Former Employee - Financial Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bloomberg is an exciting place to work. The company culture is great. The pay is great. The benefits are great. The office is amazing. The technology is being rapidly updated. Some of the smartest people I know still work there. There is lots of talent in this company! Plenty of training opportunities. Generous vacation. Generous maternity leave. Diversity.

Cons

Once you quit, you cannot go back. You may get used to a lot of things that are Bloomberg specific and are not used elsewhere. Flexible work and remote work is hard to arrange. Limited number of offices (if you are in tech you have a choice only between NYC and London)

Advice to Management

Mike Bloomberg is awesome! In terms of advice: make remote work and flexible work easier to arrange.

"Great Company, Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are too many pros at Bloomberg to name (depending on if you like the same things that I do
    - Open office plan: get to converse easily with managers, jump on board interesting projects, and provide insight when you overhear conversations where people are confused
    - Global workforce and global opportunities: Large projects can have you working with people on all 6 inhabited continents, flying there to do business, or transferring to a different country on an exchange program
    - Technology, Money, and News: Bloomberg is racing other companies to define the future of finance, and the media industry. These are daunting tasks but can be exciting, especially given the companies heft and ability to make waves
    - Great benefits: Medical, Vacation, etc
    - Summer Party: Need to experience it to understand

Cons

Bloomberg's work-life balance isn't for all. The lengthy vacation package comes, for many, with hours on end in the office, and a virtual 24 hour "on call" expectation, depending on your role and department.

Advice to Management

The Terminal is great but is likely going to cripple the company in the future. Figure out more ways to diversify the business or expand the terminal business into sectors that do not currently use it/ know that they need it. The ubiquity of free financial information, combined with cheaper tools like Slack for communication are a real threat to the company.

"Parallel Universe"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent medical, good 401k, free snacks

Cons

Annual salary inrease is predetermined by time served and it makes absolutely no difference if you are a slacker who contributed nothing or a star performer

Advice to Management

When you have a staff turnover approaching 50% annually because the ambitious top producers are compensated exactly the same as those who do nothing and contribute nothing, when managers are appointed purely on time served and not on their skills set, when you claim to have a flat collegial organization but in reality as based on the whims, likes and dislikes of management down to the team leader level, when your technology used to be world class and is now a has been and obsolete, you should realise you have a problem

"Terrible HR"

Current Employee - Broadcast Operator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Broadcast Operator in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, health insurance, employee perks.

Cons

Management are inexperienced and unorganized.

Advice to Management

Do better

"Depends on what dept your work"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. (More than 3 years)

Pros

smart people, good product, lot's of customers

Cons

pressure cooker atmosphere and managers will berate you

Advice to Management

sell the company

Showing 1,029 of 2,637 reviews