Bloomberg L.P. Reviews

4.1
Bloomberg L.P. Founder Michael R. Bloomberg
Michael R. Bloomberg
2,091 Ratings

What people are saying about Bloomberg L.P.

Join the conversation on

Tech

210.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Bloomberg L.P.~3096
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits where you don't pay for health insurance and they do 50% 401k match(in 729 reviews)
  • "The people are great and they provide dozens of opportunities to get to know the company more.(in 447 reviews)
  • "Great culture and a clear vision on how to be a highly successful private company.(in 314 reviews)
  • "Free medical/dental and free food (snacks and drinks).(in 281 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance: 8am to 6pm and you are done at 6pm most of the times(in 270 reviews)
Cons
  • "Micro management and competition pressure(in 301 reviews)
  • "Generally too slow to advance high performers because many managers have been at the company a very long time.(in 208 reviews)
  • "Long hours and often down time(in 167 reviews)
  • "Strict, Late Working Hours, Sometimes hard to reach(in 79 reviews)
  • "There is no career progression for developers and this is by design.(in 63 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bloomberg L.P. and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good Company

May 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-People are friendly -free food -NYC office is really nice

Cons

-Data employees are under paid

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Worst company ever.

May 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

They used to have good free food, now just has snacks. modern and beautiful offices. They also sponsored me from abroad to come work in DC.

Cons

Worked there for over 20 years and got PTSD in return. At age 70, wanted to retire in the next year or two and was hoping to do some sort of sunset plan. Instead, Bloomberg fired me and gave me a 8 hour notice to try to email all my friends, pack up all my things, and say goodbye to my colleagues. They basically used me for 20+ years and then decided they no longer want me and kicked me to the curb. The worst part, I realized my metro card (which refills in the beginning of the month every month) wasnt working that morning. Then when i got to work, i got pulled into HR's office. I was humiliated and couldn't even talk to my family about it. I wish they thought about the human behind the job. Instead of having a good retirement, it left me feelings hopeless and depressed. I ended up leaving the US, and know that my great experience in the US was all squashed because of the way Bloomberg treated me at the end of my career.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Bureaucratic, micromanaged, sweatshop-like

May 10, 2022 - Editorial in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are simply outstanding and it's a company that doesn't put up with disrespecting peers, so it's a Stepford Wives vibe where everyone needs to buy into the system; stable employment and almost impossible to get fired (including a direct report -- with years of documented underperformance under several managers -- I was told I had to "manage up" rather than let go); then once managed up was told by my manager it's a shame this person now couldn't be let go. Strange place to work.

Cons

White-collar sweatshop where Mike and his cronies talk a great game about employees getting out and doing community service and having a quality of life and such but really don't; you're subjected to 10+ hour days (the unwritten rule) and pinged on weekends. Need to be a Cool Aid drinker to relish working there. Micromanagement is overboard. Antiquated work tools.

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The pro's outweigh the cons

May 12, 2022 - Network Operations Engineer in Orangeburg, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Good work/life balance - I leave ontime daily and not "on-call". -Excellent 401K benefit package. 50% match (until $7500 matched). -Orangeburg has a full service cafeteria, with free breakfast & lunch. -Very engaged in diversity & inclusion.

Cons

-Hard to get noticed by management if you are doing a good job, even if you work hard. Very political. -Not great raises, some are lower than inflation, especially for employees who have been there longer than 5 years.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Quirky

Mar 17, 2022 - Implementation Team Lead in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some very bright and hard working people. I would say more than average compared to previous companies I've worked for. Greate medical/dental but used to be better. Lots of events for families (circus, picnic). I often felt senior management actually cared about employees. I've learned a lot and had opportunities to grow my career. I selected wouldn't recommend to a friend, but it really depends. If you want to grow your career and focus on work, the right role at BBG could be great. But if you have family and work is a pay check, doesn't mean you are lazy or do bad work, but you have different priorities, then this could be a tough place.

Cons

They get their money's worth, which isn't really a con, but more of an FYI. Work/life balance is definitely there, once you finish work, you can enjoy life...But work never really finishes does it? Things have been getting worse for employees over time in my opinion and perspective. More people leaving, benefits are getting reduced. It's Mike's company, but I feel like Mike is becoming less interested in being involved, and the people he has in place are there to carry out his orders/interests which sort of inhibits innovation and growth.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Moderately ok, but misleading

May 5, 2022 - Audio Operator in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Great benefits where you don't pay for health insurance and they do 50% 401k match *Conversion to full time from freelance is likely to happen and can be quick *Beautiful building with good city views from the balcony and from upper floors *Good facilities for TV news *Worked with a couple of good managers *Quicktake show is great

Cons

*Base pay isn't very high is lower than other major TV networks *Because base pay is lower, they tend to hire less than competent employees (this is more in the tech operations dept . Editorial team is not nearly this way since you actually need a deep finance/journalism background) *Have all full time staff on 9 hour shifts daily with no overtime pay *Turnaround of managers and employees happen so new managers who are learning the ropes of the position don't manage well at times *Need to deal with boring finance news

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

An amazing place to work

May 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Bloomberg is such a privilege . Constant employee support, great benefits and compensation, wonderful management. Lots of room for growth and generally an amazing place to be; always exciting.

Cons

honestly I really have none

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good for mid career professional

May 13, 2022 - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

On the street , options for future career paths were dwindling. Joined mid-career and the exposure to other parts of finance has been incredible. Some exceptionally smart and driven people work here. .incredible benefits. Fantastic package that is thoughtful, generous and provides financial, and wellness (health, mental etc) security. They are incredibly generous in that respect

Cons

Culture can feel a little “drink the kool-aid” ish.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good company that needs to value their employees more.

May 19, 2022 - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Profits go to philanthropy. 2. Great people work here. 3. Good medical and 401k benefits.

Cons

1. You can beat targets and still not receive your bonus or additional compensation. 2. Little senior executive engagement with employees or clients. They are disconnected from reality. 3. Don’t practice what they preach. Company still thinks we are in the 80’s when it comes to flexibility and work/life balance.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Old tech, great culture

May 22, 2022 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture and the people are great. Understanding and flexible management. Good wlb, pay and benefits.

Cons

Depending on the team, tech stack could be +20 years old.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,276 Reviews

Bloomberg L.P. Reviews FAQs

Bloomberg L.P. has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 6,426 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Bloomberg L.P. to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Bloomberg L.P. employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Bloomberg L.P.. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

81% of Bloomberg L.P. employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Bloomberg L.P. 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Bloomberg L.P. to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, management.

Popular Careers with Bloomberg L.P. Job Seekers