Bloomberg L.P. Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bloomberg L.P. Founder Michael R. Bloomberg
Michael R. Bloomberg

Cons

"The Worst Employer of My Life"

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, but relatively poor salary. Essentially, golden hand cuffs for many due to long-term profit sharing plan. Some really nice people. Free snacks.

Cons

In my subjective opinion, very aggressive business culture regarding both employees and clients/stakeholders. This made me feel depressed for a long time, even after leaving Bloomberg, as I couldn't ever accept their business culture and values. It was demoralizing to see how employees were treated as a commodity -- employee turnover was very high and people just didn't stay. Very low organizational structure meant that there was very little career upside. To my mind, Bloomberg's HR practices were aggressive and questionable as well. Just as an example, they did not allow their employees to organize a labor union, although this right is separately addressed in the UN's Human Rights Declaration.

Advice to Management

NA

2. "Avoid Analytics Department"

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry Pantry

Cons

Analytics is run by small minded managers with no business experience. You are asked to hit targets created without context for how they fit into the business. You won't be evaluated on performance but personality. Culture is everything to upper management, which drags down those seeking to innovate. Management is very threatened by those below and above them, so react out of fear rather than logic.

Advice to Management

They are not interested in employee feedback.

3. "Quitting this job was the best decision I've ever made"

Former Employee - Bloomberg Intelligence Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bloomberg Intelligence Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, company holiday party is awesome

Cons

Management is clueless, offensive, and could careless about moral. Drew Jones, a manager, was inappropriate on many occasions. Absolutely terrible, unless you stroked his ego. Pay was terrible. Loads of mind games. Management lied about raises (e.g. "you're getting a 5% raise", but what really happened is they took the guaranteed bonus away and added half of it to your base, which actually decreased the total comp.). Some management asked straight up prohibited questions about medical histories, medications, etc.

Some analysts were actually coked out at work, or chatting about their latest "tinder conquest", sharing pictures.

One friend of mine (who also quit) was a foreigner and was more or less held hostage by Bloomberg's sponsoring of his/her employment visa. He/she was paid nearly 30,000 less than the associates that worked beneath him/her.

At one point, an email was sent around saying that we would have to work outside our normal 8-6 hours to get work done if we wanted to be considered "satisfactory". One higher up employee tried to fight against it, but was silenced.

Very very poor room for growth. As Bloomberg is news, research, sales, and software, the best shot at a higher paying position within the company is to transfer outside of your skill area. All the recruiters I spoke to said the same thing. Further, the BI product is getting taken into a very bad place.

Every potential employer I appealed to when trying to make my exit told me that Bloomberg was the reason I wasn't hired.

Expect to be criticized: your shoes, your pants, the type of shirt you wear, your hair style. and FORGET ABOUT IT if you're a woman. Management's treatment of women in the department was disgusting. When I was there, only 15% of the entire NY department were women. Management will decide they don't like you, and make up reasons for why your performance is poor to push you out.

My manager was a nearly 20 year veteran of the company, that had already previously been demoted. If you voice a concern, he would tell me why I'm wrong, rather than actually trying to listen. Voicing a concern or a workplace problem actually would subject you to discipline. Think thought police.

In the short time I worked at Bloomberg Intelligence, no fewer than 25 people quit in the New York office, and there were only 75 to begin with. Management told me this was "normal".

Management tried to control associates from hanging out together and from talking to one another. I was used to asking coworkers "hey, how was your weekend" on Monday mornings, but was told this was inappropriate. I actually got spoken to by senior management who told me that discussing our personal lives was prohibited. Meanwhile, managers sent around birth announcements weekly.

Me and several former coworkers would literally cry to one another about the abuse and plain lack of care or concern for us that took place.

If you like low self-esteem, getting paid half of what your worth, and working over time just to quality as "satisfactory", then by all means take this job.

I was plainly told that management doesn't care if you're happy at the job. It's not their problem.

Advice to Management

David Dwyer is awesome. He cares about the groups mission. But he's too far removed to make any real difference in employees happiness. He should hire some people that aren't solely working there for a new place to masturbate

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have any interest in finance, they offer lectures to all engineers. The classes don't go deep but cover many verticals of financial markets.

All other perks mentioned here (e.g.: snacks, drinks, 401k matching) are subpar when compared to other silicon alley companies.

Cons

Managers are control freaks, Senior managers are power clingy. Both together are completely clueless on how to attract, motivate, and retain talents.

Advice to Management

Find another job.

"Horrible management"

Former Employee - Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food
    Somewhat good benefits but thy are going downhill

Cons

Popularity contest with management. Right now it's basically a boys club. Managers don't know what the product is
    There's no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Review managers who are there only because hey have connections

"Incompetent managers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little. They pay me a salary I guess, but it hardly compensates for the crap
    I have to deal with.

Cons

I voted for Hillary in this election, and I'm 100% behind equal rights, gay marriage and am part of multiple LGBT support groups. The company is currently putting political correctness over competence. I've never in my career had to deal with such incompetent people. Women and gays are being promoted over other people or not fired just because they're women or gays, but it's unspeakable how incompetent some people are. Mr. Bloomberg, take a good look at your employees, especially managers, because some people are the most incompetent I've ever worked with.

"Wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, but that's it.

Cons

Very little room for personality. Very much like a high school popularity contest, in the sense if you aren't considered a "cool" person you are isolated with very little help or contribution. Very stuffy working environment.

Advice to Management

Advance people to management positions who actually display leadership qualities. When employees come to you with a problem or obstacle, see to it personally that it is solved or cleared.

9. "Stay Away Unless You Want to Retire Here"

Current Employee - Bloomberg Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bloomberg Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The medical insurance is the best I've experienced in finance

Cons

Awful, incompetent management. No desire to improve research quality which is embarrassingly bad for many analysts in the department who can't even use excel at an intermediate level. Most of the role involves trying to write the latest click-bait headlines. Career prospects after working here are substantially reduced and most of us are too embarrassed to speak to our ex-colleagues.

Advice to Management

Go and Seek Opinions of Clients Rather Than Rely on Gut Instict

"Amazing organization. Immature leaders with limited leadership experience"

Pros

Snacks
    Free Food
    High Employee enagement
    beautiful office

Cons

Immature, inexperienced, power hungry, reckless leaders with limited exposure to diverse individuals. Very unprofessional, petty, jealous, behavior that I witnessed on the part of very immature middle managers.

Advice to Management

Promote experienced professionals only to positions of leadership, just because someone was a strong individual contributor doe not make them fit for leadership.

"Working at Bloomberg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment but narrow minded

Cons

No diversity in management and old culture that is very white. Also, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Promote and support minorities and women. Increase work life balance

Showing 218 of 2,388 reviews