Bloomberg L.P. Reviews | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Got in as a data analyst straight out of college; lots of peers with the same experiences, good work-life balance (in 179 reviews)

• Open work environment, free food, nice colleagues (in 319 reviews)

"Not the best place"

Current Employee - Analytics Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analytics Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. (Less than a year)

Pros

the snacks, the people, and the building

Cons

The analytics department is probably the worst department to work for at Bloomberg. Too much politics, no room for advancement, management only caters to their favorite people and make sure those people the opportunities, nothing is transparent, too metric driven they don't care about you as an individual , the role is mentally draining, (not worth it for the salary)

Advice to Management

be better at your jobs

"data analyst"

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

free lunch and snacks. Very friendly stuff and people are willing to help.

Cons

Lot of pressure with management, hard to be a permanent employee.

Advice to Management

none.

"looks good from far, far from good."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free food, that's about it.

Cons

lying, embedded, idiot know nothing management, and HR treating employees like children. Assigning projects that took away from the actual work that needed to be done, then criticizing productivity.

Advice to Management

Quit

"Global Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary for a data entry job, free food, free snacks, private company with a mission to reinvest a lot of profit into charity.

Cons

Where do I start? There are simply too many cons being an "analyst" in global data.

The global data leadership built a very toxic department, mislead applicants, usually college graduates, to apply and accept an offer for what turns out to be a data entry job. 90% of the job relies on typing in number manually into the system. No understanding of the financial services industry is really required.

This leads to high and regular attrition and results in very low morale among analysts who feel entrapped after a few years. The entry barrier is very low, and the very few smart people that end up there leave within a year or two. Driven away by the incompetence of middle management or the prospect of driving their careers to a dead end. Bloomberg will not open any doors for you. Your lack of actual knowledge and transferable skills will be exposed no matter what you put in your CV to sugar coat this horrible experience.

You will be exposed to NO ONE of substance and from whom you could learn. Do not fool yourself, you will learn NOTHING in global data. Bloomberg might be a great place to be, but Global Data is the bottom class group with bottom tier employees.

Advice to Management

Advice to CXO level management: The global data department has rotten over the last few years and needs a restructuring and reorganisation of management.

"Former Sales and Account Management"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-learn how to use the Bloomberg Terminal during the extensive training program

Cons

-extreme micromanagement
    -toxic culture: drink the kool-aid and join the cult or be miserable
    -no mobility or growth opportunities

Advice to Management

get rid of all the middle management

"Analytics"

Pros

good benefits, decent salary, good location

Cons

terrible culture, back stubbing mentality

"Terrible People, Work Environment"

Current Employee - Bloomberg Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bloomberg Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No deductions for health insurance

Cons

Lot of politics and not much emphasis on actual work. There is rampant bullying in some departments which direct managers ignore to avoid having to deal with. Escalating and putting in complaints to HR results in retaliation.

Advice to Management

Remove the dead wood, listen to the dozens of lawsuits against the company

"Quitting this job was the best decision I've ever made"

Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, company holiday party is awesome

Cons

First of all, let me say that Bloomberg Intelligence management got my first review deleted, so that should tell you something. They are trying to silence people and hide the truth, which is exactly what they did on a day-to-day basis while I was there. Below is the review:
    ----
    Bloomberg Intelligence management is clueless, offensive, and could careless about morale. The second in command at the department was inappropriate on many occasions. Absolutely terrible, unless you stroked his ego. Pay was terrible. Loads of mind games. Management lied about raises (e.g. "you're getting a 5% raise", but what really happened is they took the guaranteed bonus away and added half of it to your base, which actually decreased the total comp.). Some management asked straight up prohibited questions about medical histories, medications, etc.

One friend of mine (who also quit) was a foreigner and was more or less held hostage by Bloomberg's sponsoring of his/her employment visa. He/she was paid nearly 30,000 less than the associates that worked beneath him/her.

At one point, an email was sent around saying that we would have to work outside our normal 8-6 hours to get work done if we wanted to be considered "satisfactory". One higher up employee tried to fight against it, but was silenced.

Very very poor room for growth. As Bloomberg is news, research, sales, and software, the best shot at a higher paying position within the company is to transfer outside of your skill area. All the recruiters I spoke to said the same thing. Further, the BI product is getting taken into a very bad place.

Every potential employer I appealed to when trying to make my exit told me that Bloomberg was the reason I wasn't hired.

Expect to be criticized: your shoes, your pants, the type of shirt you wear, your hair style, and FORGET ABOUT IT if you're a woman. Management's treatment of women in the department was disgusting. When I was there, only 15% of the entire NY department were women. Management will decide they don't like you, and make up reasons for why your performance is poor to push you out.

My manager was a nearly 20 year veteran of the company, that had already previously been demoted. If you voice a concern, he would tell me why I'm wrong, rather than actually trying to listen. Voicing a concern or a workplace problem actually would subject you to discipline. Think thought police.

In the short time I worked at Bloomberg Intelligence, no fewer than 25 people quit in the New York office, and there were only 75 to begin with. Management told me this was "normal".

Management tried to control associates from hanging out together and from talking to one another. I was used to asking coworkers "hey, how was your weekend" on Monday mornings, but was told this was inappropriate. I actually got spoken to by senior management who told me that discussing our personal lives was prohibited. Meanwhile, managers sent around birth announcements weekly.

Me and several former coworkers would literally cry to one another about the abuse and plain lack of care or concern for us that took place.

If you like low self-esteem, getting paid half of what your worth, and working over time just to quality as "satisfactory", then by all means take this job.

I was plainly told that management doesn't care if you're happy at the job. It's not their problem.

Advice to Management

The head of the department is awesome. He cares about the group’s mission. But he's too far removed to make any real difference in employees happiness. He should hire some senior people that aren't solely looking for paid retirement and actually care about creating a good product, which is exactly the opposite of what the analyst TL’s currently do

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance... thats about it .

Cons

Bad place to work, terrible managers, low pay, sexist environment, none stop b.s., if you have any other option--take it, and decline working at Bloomb8.

"The Worst Employer of My Life"

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, but relatively poor salary. Essentially, golden hand cuffs for many due to long-term profit sharing plan. Some really nice people. Free snacks.

Cons

In my subjective opinion, very aggressive business culture regarding both employees and clients/stakeholders. This made me feel depressed for a long time, even after leaving Bloomberg, as I couldn't ever accept their business culture and values. It was demoralizing to see how employees were treated as a commodity -- employee turnover was very high and people just didn't stay. Very low organizational structure meant that there was very little career upside. To my mind, Bloomberg's HR practices were aggressive and questionable as well. Just as an example, they did not allow their employees to organize a labor union, although this right is separately addressed in the UN's Human Rights Declaration.

Advice to Management

NA

Showing 256 of 2,849 reviews