Bloomberg L.P. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 24, 2017

"Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Physicians assistant (nurse) on site, Free food, snacks, Etc. They team leaders encourage you to learn and further your career by providing in house classes.

Cons

Always under a microscope. Treated like a small child. The managers seem to take all of the credit for your ideas as their own. Very little flexibility to have family/work life. Once you start making a decent salary, your Yearly reviews become quite interesting, although they supposedly pride themselves in clarity of goals/expectations, etc. Very disheartening. I wouldn't recommend to my enemy.

Advice to Management

Value your employees that are loyal. It is a shame that you treat your employees so poorly

"not good experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

free lunch and snacks, good salary

Cons

poor career progress opportunities. terrible management, very old technology,

Advice to Management

Team leaders need to learn to lead

"Misleading"

Pros

Free food and great health benefits- believe me you'll need them working here.

Cons

Worst department dynamics I have ever experienced. Employees are treated like slaves.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Fire all management in managerial roles. Have them take chats and work with customers 50% of their day. All new management needs to take yearly training courses on how to work with people. HR needs to take the blinders off and see what's really happening in this department.

5. "Contractor"

Former Employee - Data Center Hardware Engineer in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Center Hardware Engineer in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gain some really nice experience on the latest equipment, free lunch and snacks. Peanut Butter machine! Work with a wide variety of people globally.

Cons

Expected to do the same job as the employees for one 1/2 to 1/3 less pay, no benefits, expected to travel between 3 data centers and not get re-imbursed for travel. No paid time off, my father died and they would not even pay me for one day. Employees get a really nice bonus every year you don't even get a christmas card. You are a nobody until they need you to fill in for one of the employees. There is a negative attitude towards the contractors here. Everything you do you will be held accountable for while there is no accountability for employees. No pay increases. Shortly after my second year anniversary i asked for a pay increase and they let me go. Said i was not a good fit for the company. I would not recommend taking a job as a contractor in the Data Center unless you have absolutely no experience, even then it's a dead end.

Advice to Management

Team leaders need to lead, and hold employees accountable. The same accountability a contractor gets held too. I would think the employees would be held to higher standards, but it is the opposite here.

"Beatings will continue until morale improves"

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Snack bar. Good health care

Cons

Daily beatings. Horrible place to work

7. "Overall exp"

Former Contractor - SAP FICO Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - SAP FICO Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Chips, soda, cofee and tea are free

Cons

have to work 20 hours but still no appreciation

Advice to Management

contractors are treated

8. "Producer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. (More than 8 years)

Pros

Money is good for journalism.

Cons

Paranoid control freak culture. Internecine internal politics. Crazy rules for how to write stories.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and support them in trying new things.

"Same culture as a junior high school"

Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, amazing benefits, free food

Cons

No training, no documentation for the tools, ridiculous micromanagement by low-level managers who have no idea how to manage, don't ever be a whistle-blower on bad behavior, or you will be put on the road to disciplinary action, constant backstabbing by coworkers. Basically like working in a junior high school. Mostly 20 year olds who don't know that the culture is completely toxic. Ridiculous arbitrary metrics that have no validity for measurement of performance.

Advice to Management

Create an actual TRAINING curriculum for new hires. Train your managers how to be decent managers and not to bury their heads in the sand when there's constant backstabbing and disrespect happening on their team.

10. "not much"

Pros

a lot of coffee available at all times

Cons

no free food available at all times

"A scar Voldemort would have been proud of."

Former Intern - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay.
    New York.
    The financial knowledge involved in learning the product.
    The CFA's training classes are keeping the internship program afloat.
    A pantry if you have never seen one.

Cons

This company is anything but Hogwarts, even when Hogwarts was being torn down.

This company is Ron Weasley with a broken wand. The technology is so outdated, it's unbelievable that they still lead the industry just like it's unbelievable that Ron gets with Hermoine.

A lot of employees have never had any experience outside of Bloomberg because they are that stupid, they never get hired elsewhere.

Finding an employee who has experience at a decent company like Amazon or Google is nearly impossible because Bloomberg does not attract quality.

Forget Amazon and Google, finding an engineer with a computer science background is difficult in Bloomberg.

The project assigned to me was so terrible, I am embarrassed to put it on my resume.

As an intern, it was painful to realize that all engineers surrounding me were unbelievably stupid. One engineer (>2 years) did not even understand git even though his code was using git.

Speaking of git, a lot of the repositories I saw had no gitignore. And even though they have github, almost nobody uses it because, did I mention? they are that stupid.

If google or microsoft ever decided to get into the financial industry, they could easily take out Bloomberg.

This company has hammered my expectations of working in a corporate setting which may be a good thing.

If you have a degree in any thing other than computer science, you will adore this place.

The current employees are not passionate about the product as much as they are passionate about New York.

The conversion rate for interns is unbelievably less because nobody wants to experience hell twice.

Advice to Management

Start hiring genuine computer programmers. Not part-time programmers with physics or chemistry doctorates. Recruitment is absolutely rubbish but so are the recruiters.

Hire better HR. Their stupidity attracts more stupidity. They are deceitful as well (I know it contradicts the stupidity part). They have deceived a lot of my friends who joined this year by telling them one thing when giving the offer and sending contradictory emails after joining. You know who you are.

Museum entry fees are free all round the year for all Bloomberg employees. Stop making it sound special. Out of all the things in New York, I don't want a museum tour to be my highlight.

Spend more money on current interns, rather than having discovery days and other non-sense.

Michael Bloomberg looks so far from the actual reality. He still looks too involved in New York politics than his own company even though he keeps saying that he is back.

Showing 222 of 2,433 reviews