Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in Singapore, Singapore | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Singapore Reviews

Updated September 11, 2017

Singapore, Singapore Area (Singapore)

3.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Got in as a data analyst straight out of college; lots of peers with the same experiences, good work-life balance (in 179 reviews)

• Open work environment, free food, nice colleagues (in 319 reviews)

Cons

"Content Specialist - Global Data"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great community
    Great hours
    Great work/life balance
    Flexible management
    Great travel opportunity

Cons

lack of transferable skills
    stagnant career trajectories
    US-centric strategies
    less than competitive salaries

2. "Looks are deceiving"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pantry
    Great technology
    Lots of events and good energy

Cons

Promotion of internal mobility which is "great" but often times, people who are not the right fit with no relevant skills are parachuted into a role. This seems very unfair to others who are hired externally and went through infinite rounds of interviews.

Advice to Management

Internal movements should be reasonable and within candidate's past experience.

"Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company strong, good culture, collaboration is great, office environment is great

Cons

The company is ok, but data department is a dead end.. Most, if not all the TLs (Team leader, the lowest level of manager) are inexperienced and have 0 knowledge on how our client is actually using our data/functions. The department constantly brag and inflate the "wins" which make ppl feel good, but all the "wins" are either fake, or have no value. People, especially TLs, spend most of the time doing nothing but micro managing. Don't expect any good leadership from TLs. The only type of ppl who got promoted to TLs are those who are good at corporate BS and can keep talking non-sense forever.

Advice to Management

Nothing to top level management. I can see clear vision from the top, but just need to fix the problem of data TLs, otherwise the data team will be ruined.

"Come Here If You Have No Career Aspirations (Global Data)"

Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm doing you a favour by writing this. I should have listened to the bad reviews, but instead ignored them and ended up leaving the company within less than a year because I didn't want to be pigeon holed in this company and found another job elsewhere.

Here's my honest review:

- Nice and friendly colleagues.
    - You end work on time every day.
    - Pantry (especially breakfast).
    - No stress environment.
    - Highly paid for the hours and work you do here.
    - A lot of events (with more free food) and paid-for sports outside of the office.
    - Work-life balance.

Conclusion: if you want a work life balance and a high starting salary without any career aspirations, come!

Cons

The other side to my HONEST and COMPREHENSIVE opinion that you need to read! I separated it into 3 parts for your liking:

Job Scope:
    - it is not finance-related, yet the team leaders there have somehow brainwashed themselves (or are good at acting) that it is. It's not.
    - people are right - you copy data from the news and paste it to the terminal. I was so sad that the this was the actual job and that people here were right.
    - think about it... Our clients analyze the data. If we were to analyze the data for them, we would be taking their jobs. What position does that leave us to do... Except copy and paste it and make sure that it's correct (by checking online or somewhere). Even the "equity research roles" can't give their opinions because it will be taking their clients jobs (sell side research analysts who use the terminal).
    - there is also no data analytics involved - forget about using R or Python to visualize and analyze the data. Read the point above - What is there left to analyze?
    - everything is a "project". Writing a manual on how the work flow to my daily work is a "project". The lack of... Intensity and analytical work makes everything a project.

Management:
    - my team leader (TL) was a... pain. The TL I had somehow lied to herself into believing that this job was awesome (FYI everyone on the floor hates this job but most don't leave due to the security and pay it offers - yes, moral is low and management knows this).
    - they can't be trusted. It's funny how every TL sounds similar in their answers to their team. Make sure you ask questions - a lot of people would say they came from wealth management firms and that working in Bloomberg is better. Ask more --> most of them worked in the back end office of these companies. No wonder bloomberg is better - it's moreso the same job with better pay.
    - they pride in having a university atmosphere. First hearing this I was happy and excited. If you think about it... It's not really. A bunch of adults acting like kids and the TLs being the frat that everyone needs to suck up to in order to become one of them in the future.
    - sounds nice, doesn't it, to tell people that you make your career your own in Bloomberg? Think again. Management uses that as a reason and excuse to cover their own mistakes. "Boss what should I do?" -> "Idk. This is your career to make here in Bloomberg". Think about what a great excuse that is and how they could use it against anything... And they do!
    - a personal rant - I told my TL I was leaving and didn't like this position and felt like I was lied to about the job scope. TL replied by saying "you said you like finance in the interview? You said you managing data?" Seriously?! if you think this is finance and managing data means copy and pasting numbers, then sorry i must be wrong about liking either! (Im in finance still btw lol).

Exit Opportunities:
    - this is the biggest point for me. I'd take hell if there were decent exit ops. There aren't. For those who think it only sucks in the first year - people who have stayed 5 years tell me it doesn't get better and you are stuck copy and pasting data.
    - look on LinkedIn and check the career paths of these people. No one stayed long if they eventually entered a somewhat prestigious finance or consulting role - all left within a year. The reasons to why were already listed.
    - managers would say "person x left to Mckinsey or Credit Suisse." Ask again - they stayed for 6-8 months in my office before leaving, knowing they deserved better.
    - my colleague made a good point (been there for several years and regrets not leaving earlier). Said "people in the finance industry knows what we do... And they know that it isn't finance. We go to them to train them and sell our products and they go to our offices for training and meetings. They know very well that we just copy and paste data. It's sad." So lying your job scope into the finance industry is not an option.
    - the longer you stay, the worst it is. You will get pigeon holed as a data analyst. Forget trying to get a front end job. Many people left to prestigious financial firms - if you look closer, they are in the back end team. Also, if you want to do backend, I'm not against it - but at least do engineering work and not copy and paste data...
    - in my office, no one internally transferred to another team from the global data department because no one wanted to take us in... Sad.

Conclusion: if you're driven or want a career thats not boring, dont come here. I felt bad for one of my colleagues. This was the persons first job and i asked if the person liked the job. Said "idk. Are all jobs like this? (in a sad and lost tone) i answered the person by saying "no. You can do better". And thats my advice to you all. If you worked hard for a good career, you deserve better than what they offer.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to the driven young fresh grads out there! It isn't finance and you're putting us in a difficult position because leaving early will look bad on our CV yet going there will teach us nothing and it is a waste of time.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, chance for growth through mobility. Its all what you make of it. Secure place to work as long as you do your part.

Cons

Easy to get comfortable and stuck in a career rut. Great place to start your career but after 3-5 years growth can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Put five cats in a bag and see who lives.

"Sales Associate"

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great trainning

Cons

They dont let you know often enough that this is a great place to work

7. "Fast paced, driven and motivated employes"

Current Employee - Financial Sales and Analytics in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

If you are someone who thrives under pressure and loves challenges, then this company is a perfect fit for you

Cons

No worklife balance for certain roles, no job security

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in hiring very good people

8. "Transparent Company"

Current Employee - Financial Sales and Analytics in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A really transparent company, with managers of all level sitting within employees
    Employees are encouraged to speak up and contribute ideas and are rewarded for it
    Superb pantry

Cons

Always being pushed to generate ideas, can be tiring after a while
    Many procedures like all big companies, not necessarily the most efficient

Advice to Management

Focus on efficiency and shed unnecessary procedures

9. "A company that cares for its employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, a company that makes you proud to be part of. Bloomberg cares for its employees. I loved their heavy involvement also in philanthropic activities.

Cons

Too 'obsessed' with their internal ticketing system

10. "Pantry is better than some hotel buffet breakfast"

Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Really well-stocked pantry
    2) Friendly senior colleagues who are like your teachers
    3) Transparent culture

Cons

Internship was too short, can get very stressful as learning curve can be steep.

Showing 46 of 2,848 reviews