Bloomberg L.P. Reviews in Trenton, NJ | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

Trenton, NJ Area

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Got in as a data analyst straight out of college; lots of peers with the same experiences, good work-life balance (in 178 reviews)

• Open work environment, free food, nice colleagues (in 315 reviews)

1. "Great Culture"

Former Intern - Global Data Intern in Princeton, NJ
    Former Intern - Global Data Intern in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People you want to work with and who want to work with you. Employees are driven and excited to get things done.

Cons

Upward mobility is not exactly clear and many younger employees leave the company after a few years.

Advice to Management

If you want to bring in more people with tech backgrounds, it is necessary to ensure them that they will have tech-related work and that they will be fairly compensated for that work.

2. "Comfortable, but hard to get things done"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Easygoing environment. The job is really what you make of it, it can be totally stress-free or very challenging depending on your goals. It is easy to get complacent

Cons

Too much politics. Sometimes it seems hard to get things done because of how much red tape there is

3. "Comfortable & Enjoyable"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Princeton, NJ
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor

Pros

I'm a temp here at Bloomberg but I enjoy a lot about the company:

-Culture: (Amicable employees and relaxing work environment)

-Floor-plan: (No offices and cubicles). You sit next to people who are on different teams from you, which is good. It offers the chance to be sociable with those on other teams. Meeting rooms are all glass. Bloomberg strives for transparency and a culture where everyone works together without literally barriers denoting level in the company. The badges which are required to wear to work are the only things I can think which denote level within the company, but all they denote is if you are a full-time/intern/temp employee.

-Cafeteria: The location where I am at has a free cafeteria full of many many food options. It is by far the best cafeteria I've experienced in my life with regard to it serving hundreds of people each day (far better then my high school caf, and even better then my college caf, which was highly esteemed). I eat my breakfast and lunch here every day, so I only have to pay for one meal five days a week, which is amazing. It's all you can eat virtually. I've heard not all the bloomberg offices have full cafeterias, but every office does have at least a snack pantry with free coffee.

-Hours: I know I'm just a temp, but I can tell that most employees here do not usually work more than 10 hour days. My bosses seem to work a solid 45-50 hours a week, without expectation for more. This provides a really nice work-life balance. Employees at Bloomberg aren't pushed into the ground and dragged along to work an excessive and unhealthy amount of hours, which can't be said about a lot of the companies in corporate America. Maybe being a private company has something to do with that.

-The Terminal: Working on the terminal each day is a gift, especially getting paid to do so. The Bloomberg terminal has an extraordinary amount of information on it, and is no doubt the machine that keeps the financial markets chugging along each and every day. Michael Bloomberg has created a company that is an absolute machine, literally and figuratively. Bloomberg is to the finance industry, what Nike is to the sports industry. Both supply goods to each, and if each did not have Bloomberg/Nike, those two industries would be a lot less efficient in the products they offer.

Cons

-Floor-plan: It can get loud around me at times at work, and when it does I put my headphones on. Having no office space, besides all glass meeting rooms, means their is a lot of conversation going on around in you in the open. Also, it can be tough when taking or making phone calls because it's noisy.

I can't think of any others. It's comfortable and relaxing to be an employee here (albeit as only a temp), and I'm fortunate I am able to gain valuable work experience while here. Bloomberg is a brand, and to have that name on your resume undoubtedly elevates your resume.

4. "Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good people, good environment

Cons

Long hours on some days.

5. "Not the best place for temporary employees"

Former Contractor - Financial Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Contractor - Financial Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It seems to be an excellent place for permanent full-time employees, but not even close to being a good work environment for contract employees. The Princeton office has quality free food because there are not many restaurants nearby. The facility is well designed and has a nice corporate feeling to it.

Cons

If you are a "Temp", you will be treated as a Temp. As if you are inferior to full-time permanent employees. The name tag for Employees and Temps are different colors, so it is possible to tell that you are a Temporary worker just by looking at your badge carried on your neck lanyard. The work is extremely repetitive and does not require much intellect to be performed after a few months working on it. Difficult to acquire most desirable skills for the financial industry. Lastly, some "Temps" were able to become Full-time employees a few years ago, but they say it is unlikely that new temps will be hired in the near future.

Advice to Management

Try to treat "Temps" a little better. You might find yourself working for one of them in the future.

"Princeton: A mixed bag of pros and cons"

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time

Pros

Excellent Employee benefits, good STARTING pay, free meals and snacks, good tech for employees (dual 27" screens + powerful PC)

Learning opportunities are abundant to grow your skill-set

Cons

-Raises do not fall in-line with market rates
    -Flat hierarchy structure (horizontal movement only)
    -Management is hit or miss:
    Like any company, there are great and poor managers. Even though there are some fantastic managers at Princeton, they are often stifled by their managers in poor leadership decisions that affects employee's in a waterfall effect.

There seems to be a growing trend in Global Data - it is a cost center and there needs to be cost reductions. The mantra seems to be, do more with less: alternate work-force, automation, data science, cut low performers.

If you compare this department (Global Data) with say, Sales/Core Terminal, it's a different ball game. They are a revenue generating department and don't have to operate under a microscope.

It's a shame, really. There are incredibly smart people in Global Data. Everyone is ambitious, talented, and eager to learn more. Turnover has always been high in my tenure at Bloomberg. Training people is such a high cost and slows growth.

Advice to Management

Lead by example to your managers. Push back politically. If you receive guidance from your superiors that you KNOW isn't the best or smartest option, figure out the better way to do it and show them the best way that makes the most sense for the firm. One of Bloomberg's core values is "take risks." Take the risk and do it the RIGHT way.

Value and reward your employees better. It's one thing to start sending out monthly accolades, but you ruin it when your actions in end-of-year reviews don't reflect all of these wonderful achievements.

Treat everyone equally. Many policies are at "managers discretion." Be consistent and make these policies as black and white as possible. Managers should not get special treatment. One employee should not get special treatment over another. Do not think these things go unnoticed--every employee notices. Lead, lead, lead.

7. "Municipal Data Analyst"

Current Contractor - Municipal Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Current Contractor - Municipal Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There is a very friendly working environment and positive atmosphere. The company cares for its employees and expects high level of performance and professionalism. Also, free healthy meals are provided

Cons

In contract positions, a lot of the work can be data entry type and routine.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office environment, you work with incredibly talented people in a very social work environment.

Top of the line equipment and computer systems

Great work life balance, A lot of vacation days with rollover days, relaxed daily hours, and plenty of outside the office social events and organizations

Cons

Non-transferable skills for most typical analyst
    Repetitive/Tedious Work

"Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Global Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits (Insurance, Free Lunch)
    Good Hours (Ability to start within a given time range and leave withing a given time range)

Cons

Lack of Career Growth
    Monotonous work
    Constantly changing technology that are never used. Spend weeks working to implement new technology and structure only for the structure to change when the work is completed.
    Changing technologies are almost impossible as some systems are decades old and have dependencies that seem like they will never be changed
    Projects are given without scoping out possibilities and dependencies. Decisions are made from the top level without an understanding of what is actually possible. Made based on what management think will work
    Very little communication between Data and R&D side both which have completely different understanding of systems and time allocated. Makes joint projects very difficult especially when Data pushes one thing which R&D says is impossible

Advice to Management

Stop moving so quickly and actually understand what is possible before making decisions. Don't simply do something because it is new. Understand when something was a failure and learn from it. Speak with multiple parties before pushing a new product/technology. Constantly changing/new technologies has left the company constantly just fighting fires and adding messy fixes which no one understands.

10. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn about all international financial and markets, use of current technologies, volunteer in community projects, good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Limited chances for advancement, focus on sales and recent grads, horizontal movement encouraged more than vertical, IT vs. other market experts.

Advice to Management

Rethink outsourcing of functions, and eliminating local positions and departments.

Showing 65 of 2,814 reviews