Bloomingdale's Reviews | Glassdoor

Bloomingdale's Reviews

Updated February 25, 2017

Cons

1. "Terrible job. No team work or organization"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro was the 20% discount. I think that it was the only benefit the company gives you. It always came in handy during sales

Cons

They were always understaffed. Too much work and not enough pay. You would have to work extra hard and do so much. There were barely any raises. Most of the people that worked there were old and have been there forever and they feel like they don't have to lift a finger and let all the young employees do the work. They were so lazy. Also, they would let the rude old employees get away with anything even when there were customer complaints numerous times. It was favoritism. The management was arrogant & had the snobbiest customers who felt entitled to sales consistently. The store cares more about sales then employees safety. The management was unorganized. They had sales every week in which customers started to expect discounts and sales every time. The return policy was never followed. Too many discounts given to so many customers that the company wasn't making much sales and they wondered why their sales dropped.

Advice to Management

Hire new people
    Hire new management
    Build a more positive team
    Care more for employees
    Decrease the sales because customers expect it too much
    Stop giving everything for free
    The customer isn't always right
    Follow the return policy

"Terrible Company - EDP program"

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Buyer
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Buyer

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent people in the AB and SAB level. Minimal help increases exposure to get familiarized with different types of work. Good mentoring program.

Cons

Bloomingdales invests a lot of money in acquiring young talented individuals but doesn't spend as much in retaining them. Terrible human resources department that doesn't care for their employees, abusive upper management, long work hours with no recognition, favoritism, and very minimal perks. The EDP program was a let down and frankly a waste of a summer. Felt like a waste of my Ivy League degree.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees!

3. "Bloomingdales Cosmetics operations assistant Manager"

Current Employee - (Cosmetics) Assistant Operations Manager Cosmetics in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The one pro about this position is that it gives you tons of experience for your next job, and there is an employee discount at the store, and at the local health club.

Cons

The extremely long hours and low pay, are only two things that are terrible about this position. This is the job of at least four people now being done by one person at one fourth the pay, but with all the same responsibilities! The Department Manager is terrible and does next to nothing to help/

Advice to Management

Hire another person in this department! This will make this entire department run smoother and more efficiently. Invest in experienced help, and train for excellence! Stop repeating what is not working as if it will somehow work the next time, take time to re-invent and surprise the clients!

"Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very few. Management lies and deceives.

Cons

Management is pathetic. Employees carry no value.

Advice to Management

Try retaining people. Mr. Spring thinks his management team is a baseball team ... and if you are not one of the top players in the league, expect to be sent to AAA ball. So don't get injured ... pregnant .... or sick!

"Worst job that I ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Sample Sales, discount and hours

Cons

People hate their jobs because upper management is not happy so they project it on to their team. No one ever smiles and working quarters are run down. All offices need a renovation. Maybe they should consider a company renovation.

Advice to Management

Take notice to how unhappy and mistreated your staff is. You get more bees with honey.

"Theyre Out to get you"

Former Employee - Sales Professional Women' S Shoes in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Professional Women' S Shoes in Garden City, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount, constant sales, paid weekly

Cons

poor management, no movement, constant restructuring

8. "Just another employee....."

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time

Pros

Prestigious store with great brand selection. Good customer base.

Cons

Like all retail brick fronts, they have to make every employee and every dollar count to compete. I asked for part time because that's all I could manage in my life, and asked for a specific department, knowing my skills and interests. I was hired. They chose a different department FOR me, so I agreed to at least try it. I have been in sales/customer service successfully for years and have great communication skills. I'm fashion-savvy, professional, and can communicate well. I was in training for 5 days straight, then was told, before I finished training, that I had to go to my department, they were short-handed. So I was scheduled for all weekend and Monday.8 days straight at this point. My department was manager-less due to illness, and the employees already there were too busy to help me with brand knowledge, department knowledge, etc. Another new employee started, but was more acclimated, having worked in a similar department. I was at ground zero. I worked until 9 pm that night, only to discover that I had to spend another 45 min. putting merchandise away. Between the frustration of not having proper product knowledge to offer my customers, department protocol rules, malfunctioning department keys/locks, overall employee rules, I went home that night exhausted and in tears, never to return. Had I been in a department I knew or wanted, I would have probably enjoyed it, if they had given me a decent schedule. Instead I was a training expense waste of money, and they were a waste of my time.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees tell you about themselves and place them where they can have a chance to succeed. Don't throw someone on the floor if no one can take time with them.

"Sales professional"

Current Employee - NH New Hampshire, Sales Professional
    Current Employee - NH New Hampshire, Sales Professional

Pros

Good salary when first hired, not sure about now. Was a fun atmosphere to work, not with new management,going down fast. They come from Macy's, , no clue on organization, class which our old customers were.

Cons

No growth, Favoritism of those hired, from their old store Macy's. Promote people who just came abored, who have no clue on many things, registers, promotions etc. Golden B awards unfair. Bawards only go to favorites, just being a Rookie what's that about. When some employees get credit, loyalists, customers good comments and in years never got a B award!

Advice to Management

Need to appreciate long term experienced employees more, "A happy employee makes a happy customer". Buyers have no clue what high end means, junk jewerly, low younger set merchandise, looks more like Macys, not Like no other store in the world anymore.

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's (More than a year)

Pros

Fashion, beauty and great loyal customers.

Cons

Weekends, holidays and late nights required. Sales goals increase rapidly. Constant stressful environment.

Advice to Management

Pay hourly and better benefits packages would be helpful.

"Horrible working environment in the Hackensack NJ store. The pay is horrible. The work is slave labor."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nothing comes to mind except maybe free parking and great restaurants in the vicinity that you can't afford because you're paid so poorly.

Cons

Care only about pleasing the customers while they treat their employees unfairly.
    No one is happy in this place. The moral is
    extremely low. Management has you doing
    the work of 3 people while they take meetings all day and never pitch in to help.

Advice to Management

Support your staff! Stop taking all the accolades in those rah rah golden b
    ceremonies when it was your workers
    blood, sweat and tears that earned you
    the award.