Bloomingdale's Reviews | Glassdoor

1,396 Employee Reviews

"Not life changing"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a nice discount and you can switch shifts with employees who is your same pay grade. You will probably make friends.

Cons

Upper management don't really listen to staff, will be dodged by HR, unless you are considered a 'top' employee you will fall below everyone resulting in favoritism, low pay and short shifts

Advice to Management

Create a better work environment , and pay more to your employees who work really hard.

"b-helpful Team position"

Current Employee - Customer Service, B-helpful Team Part Time in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet a lot of people, and it's a great opportunity to make friends with fellow coworkers, and network.

Cons

Super busy, and high-stress environment during the holiday season for this position, with various adaptations needed to fill the roll. Quick-paced environment during holiday time. Not good for people who aren't patient.

Advice to Management

Other employees need to be communicated to so that they are aware of the actual responsibilities that this team is in charge of.

"Sales professional"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount and associate appreciation days. Online scheduling system is fairly easy to use and allowed you to post your shifts for another employee to cover or swap with.

Cons

Not being given days off for classes I am taken. My classes are during the week rather than a Saturday class specifically because it's much less hectic in retail on a weekday morning.

Advice to Management

Accommodate employees that are currently working towards a degree. Taking classes during two weekdays should not be an issue, as full time employees are entitled to two 'unavailable days.' I was hired with the agreement that I will not be scheduled during the days I have class. The manager that originally hired me quit, and without fail, I have been scheduled on an unavailable day every week since. My original manager's quitting should not affect the agreed upon terms when I was hired by the company.

5. "first review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is fantastic! Depending on the manager most are topnotch . time passes quickly as there is always something that needs to be done thus a sense of accomplishment is felt.

Cons

Raises are difficult to achieve as there is a system in place. the benefits are so so. Weekends are mandatory.

"Sales Associate Review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at bloomingdales is like working with all your friends and family. Its a lot of work with minimal down time. Your experience, is solely based on where you are placed, who your coworkers are and how your manager operates. THE DISCOUNT IS UNBEATABLE

Cons

Lack of Training. They kind of throw you on the floor. With was fine for me but frustrating when the new hires or seasonals have no idea what they are doing.

Most managers micro-manage which sucks!!!

Not much room for growth. Upward hiring is taken outside the company... unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Management does not provide appraisal. They need to work on saying "great job," "thanks for staying late."

The executives do not know how to deal with coworker issues. If a coworker is continuously getting into incidents with other coworkers there must be an issue. They never address the issues. They mostly push it back or tell you to ignore it.

7. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic Store Management and Luxury merchandise make for a fun in store experience.

Cons

Schedule varies day to day, week to week leaving little room for consistent out of work planning.

"Good benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My schedule was accommodated in order to have a good work life balance. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

So much drama and gossip between all the managers. Nothing gets done fast. Nothing. If there was a mistake on your paycheck, you'll be waiting weeks for your money.

"Good learning opportunity"

Former Employee - Director of National Media in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of National Media in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has a reputable heritage which had a positive impact on personal professional growth.

Cons

There's very little room for innovation or creativity as top executives have a very high tenure rate and do not welcome out of the box ideas.

Advice to Management

I think the executive buyout program is great to clean house of overpaid tenured talent in order to bring in fresh new perspective.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team and fellow sales associates.

Cons

Draw commission structure is bad. They want you to do extra responsibilities, but if you are not selling you are losing money.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the draw commission structure. Add a stronger support team for the sales associates, especially during busy season.

11. "Seasonal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The sales associate discount
    You can pickup shifts
    Friendly staff

Cons

They wont schedule you for more than 20 hrs
    Old computer and phone systems

Advice to Management

None

Showing 1,396 of 1,418 reviews