Bloomington Hardware Reviews | Glassdoor

Bloomington Hardware Reviews

2.8
CEO

1. "Good Job for a College Student. That's about it."

Former Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Bloomington Hardware part-time

Pros

Owner will schedule around your classes. Most of the co-workers are genuinely nice people that provide a family-like atmosphere. Consistent hours. It is a good job for part-time students. I would NOT suggest it to anyone who wants full-time.

Cons

Lots of drama. Management is a little nutty. Inconsistent policies among management. As a cashier, you are the person who has to deal with most of the upset customers. Owner watches over you like Big Brother. Owner also farts a lot and smells like garlic.

Advice to Management

Respect for starters. Positive acknowledgement would be nice, rather than just bitching.

2. "Again, Employee Morals Down."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Pros

It's a job. Not the best job, but a job. Customers love the wide selection of hardware and some necessities for the home. Not the place to go to while doing a construction remodel, but excellent for small repairs, and a fantastic variety of colors, In store stock of items hard to find. A GREAT place to shop for lawn and garden care. Best selection on Weber Grills in stock, or order the Weber of your dreams.

Cons

Not enough backup for cashiers/customer service when one is sick or one just quits. Too many College students, not enough full timers. Customers complain about the lack of service during lunch hours because of only one cashier, or no other cashiers available for those hours, and lack of customer service on the floor. Lack of raises. No reviews. Underpaid. No hope in future wages. Not a good place to raise a family from the income.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to focus on their employees and their needs. Pay attention to detail on the good workmanship. Quit nit picking over the small stuff. Everyone makes mistakes. Even You! That is how we learn. The rules that apply to the hourly help should apply to all. Us little people have no problem admitting when we are wrong, and very willing to make things right. Employees aren't born into the Hardware business, they are made. BE a good teacher.

3. "The employee moral is very low. Raises are only giving every couple of years if at all. The hourly rasies is about $0.25"

Current Employee - Receiving Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Receiving Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Bloomington Hardware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow co-worlers are great to be with.

Cons

The owner has no idea how to run a business. The owner sees it as a pr firm for their persona l image.

Advice to Management

Run it as a business a leave the empolyees alone.

5. "Very Flexible and Easy"

Former Employee - Floor Clerk
    Former Employee - Floor Clerk

I worked at Bloomington Hardware part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly not a difficult job. Just try to learn as much as you can about the products. Seriously just read the labels, listen to the more experienced guys/gals and you'll do just fine. Laid back atmosphere and mostly nice people. If you're a student they try really hard to work around your schedule. The owner made it a rule to not pay minimum wage when I was there, which I thought was awesome, and no late nights like most of the other college jobs in town!

Cons

There is a weird dynamic between the management of the store, never really figured it out. All the managers are afraid of the owner. They told me repeatedly she was angry with me or she was going to do something, but I never had any confrontation. I got the feeling she didn't like me, but that's okay. I left for a job more relevant to the degree I was getting.

Advice to Management

Managers: Keep doing what you're doing, you guys made the job enjoyable. Owner: It may help to just relax a bit. All in all I had a good time at Bloomington Hardware