Bloomspot Reviews | Glassdoor

Bloomspot Reviews

Full-time Part-time

1. "Fun culture, bustling SoMa location, and great perks"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Catered breakfast and lunches
    • Management is not terribly top heavy and let's everyone have an opinion
    • Constantly evolving product
    • Flexible hours

Cons

• Very little opportunities for career growth
    • Culture feels very young at times
    • CEO only acknowledges sales and engineers - zero name recognition
    • Compensation is very top heavy
    • No commuter benefits

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites and consider hiring from within the company to provide options for career growth.

2. "Visionary leadership, excellent coaching, and being part of the best team in the space"

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is awesome to be part of a company that has always been the best player in the space, and thanks to our CEO's vision and leadership, is now poised to become the dominant player in the space! Also, free massages, dogs at work, and an extremely positive, motivated and skilled team

Cons

If you like hierarchy/bureaucracy and don't like a startup culture, Bloomspot might not be a great fit for you

3. "Happy Salesperson"

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative and fun company to work for. Bloomspot has taken a "Bloomingdale's" approach to an industry full of "Walmarts" which gives a salesperson a big edge. Very good earning potential for someone who puts their head down and works. Opportunity to share opinions and be heard by senior management. Just agreed to be acquired by JPMorgan Chase. Sky's the limit!

Cons

Bloomspot has gone through some things that I would imagine are normal for start-ups. Some good and talented people have been left behind. It is tough to build a comp plan that is fair across the board for what we do.

Advice to Management

To Chase: I hope you keep the same culture that allows employees to freely share ideas and feel listened to.

4. "Young, motivated startup delivering great content to our subscribers while providing tangible value to our partners."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing. In a good way, the culture is prototypical of the startup scene: office in SOMA, open work spaces, casual dress, dogs in the office, fresh fruit, work hard - play hard approach, and very youthful.

Cons

We are constantly discovering and rediscovering who we are. We have gone through a lot of iterations and most likely will continue to evolve into the future. Daily deals and local offers are akin to wearing a scarlet letter. They are most certainly no longer the flavor of the day.

5. "I have thoroughly enjoyed working at Bloomspot! Stellar start up with awesome employees (both current and former)."

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work hard, play hard.
    - Company culture (great people, cool office, fun activities, etc).
    - Office location (SOMA, near Caltrain and Muni).
    - Snacks & meals are plentiful.
    - Open door policy with management.
    - Generous comp & spiffs.
    - Team work environment.
    - Executives sit at regular desks mixed in with employees.

Cons

- Start-up kinks.
    - Executives do not have an accurate picture of who the top performers (or performers for that matter) actually are.
    - Slackers seem to go unnoticed.
    - Compensation is inconsistent and unfair, often rewarding the wrong people / behavior.
    - Spiffs do not make sense and encourage quantity vs quality.

Advice to Management

Invest in those who have stayed loyal to the company. I know this is the case in certain departments but not across the board.

6. "A start-up of great ups and downs, but overall a valuable experience and worthwhile."

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- free snacks-- who can complain about that?
    -- dog friendly-- they really took away stress and added humor to the office
    -- casual dress-- hoodie and jeans totally appropriate
    -- competitive base salary and OTE for sellers
    -- convenient SOMA location-- close to ATT park, Muni and restaurants
    -- the employees are friends-- you cannot top the camaraderie of the ground troops
    -- structured mentoring program-- you aren't just left to figure it out
    -- flat structure--the CEO and top execs work at the same open tables you do
    -- ability to shadow other departments to foster understanding of different roles
    -- Mac computers

Cons

With great ups, came great downs, so while everyday was not the same nor predictable, that is the norm of being in a start up. Resilience is required.

The daily deal companies as a whole are struggling to evolve as merchants are leery of deal sites and coupon purchasing customers realized they don't redeem most of the certificates they buy so they cut back on spend. It's a tougher sell as you do not sell a product but negotiate a discount at a minimum of 40% off then require 50-40% commission on sold certificates so a fair time to ramp is necessary.

In the sales role you will be account executive, relationship manager, renewal specialist, and technical support to get loyalty program set up-- the work doesn't stop once the contract is signed which diverts focus and adds frustration. The quota doesn't reward activation of loyalty program which was a key focus, but time away form closing more business.

Advice to Management

Invest in additional training for managers. That qualities and strengths that makes someone a great seller is vastly different than what makes someone a great manager.

Better define how employees are measured across the board. Having a clear career path for team members with set ways to measure success, growth and opportunities will be helpful.

Invest in the culture again, that was your STRONGEST asset which took a couple of hits as the company grew.

Bring back a small team in charge of Encore and customer success: solely responsible for activation of Encore, MID collecting, and ROI reports. This way sellers can better focus on hunting than farming.

Have an idea bank where employees can publish and get credit for their ideas.

7. "Great company with strong leadership"

Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at Bloomspot has been incredible. I've had the opportunity to rebrand the company from the ground up with the support and thoughtful contributions of the co-founders Jasper Malcolmson, Ashish Baldua, and members of the product and marketing teams. The company nurtures creativity and innovation and has proven to be a strong leader in the daily deals space. Bloomspot's recent acquisition by JP Morgan Chase is a testament to its success.

Cons

The health care / benefits could be better. We have no monthly employee contribution, but very high deductibles and co-pays.

Advice to Management

Much of my positive experience here is attributed to co-founder Jasper Malcolmson who has provided an environment for me to explore, develop, and essentially immerse myself in creating and maintaining the Bloomspot brand. My personal experience aside, Jasper leads with integrity and insight and has a keen ability to connect with the company in ways that motivate and challenge us to do our best. His charisma and enthusiasm make Bloomspot a great place to work.

8. "Started well and soon turned into a sinking ship."

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Used to have great work/life balance
    Compensation

Cons

Poor management
    Un-evolved product
    Lack of communication
    Constantly changing sales goals

9. "lots of smart, sharp people. very little micromanaging. never an average day-to-day."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- fun company culture
    - smart, young team
    - excellent work/life balance
    - work is always changing, never dull
    - lots of internal mobility
    - will probably never find smarter and more fun bunch of people to work with
    - people are genuinely friends outside of work

Cons

- management can be narrow minded and stubborn with respect to new ideas
    - engineering and product bottle neck prevents innovation
    - part of quickly changing, generally lukewarm daily deal industry
    - employees who have been around since company inception get away minimal work

Advice to Management

- let your employees prove you wrong
    - hire a dedicated director of email marketing instead of allowing product to (poorly) manage email
    - AEs get a lot of recognition because sales is inevitably competitive. give recognition to other teams, too. we all work hard.

10. "I love working at Bloomspot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people are great and the culture is great. The company is continually seeking ways to improve.

Cons

Since it is still a start up, sometimes things are a little chaotic.