Blount International Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Pros
  • Offered good benefits, including a profit share that went towards 401k (in 9 reviews)

• Good people to work with, on average relaxed atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is something to be said for taking care of your most important asset, people (in 3 reviews)

• Old Boy style progression of employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Coordinator/Employee Services Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Take good care of their people. Lot's of opportunities for driven hard-working individuals. Recognize strong talent. Above average compensation.

Cons

Horizontal alignment in Manufacturing leadership is lacking, but getting better. Performance management a little on the weak side.

Advice to Management

Create a clear vision and expectations that the manufacturing team can work towards, and address those that refuse to work toward the common goal.

2. "little mobility ok benefits"

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International (More than a year)

Pros

decent benefits, but they rarely let you use them

Cons

difficult to get to get promoted or get a raise

Advice to Management

say thank you every once and a while to the people who really built your company

"Supply Chain Intern"

Current Employee - Suppy Chain Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Suppy Chain Intern in Portland, OR

Pros

-Dynamic team to work with.
    -Lots of free Food.

Cons

No cons. Absolutely a great place to work

5. "Overall Working experience"

Current Contractor - SAP Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - SAP Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International as a contractor

Pros

nice place and well-being at work, nice mates

Cons

no meetings with Management being contractors, once in a while would be good.

Advice to Management

keep in touch with contractors as well

6. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody is very friendly. People answer interns' questions. Also, the office has some 3D printers. The company got me set up on their databases and were very helpful in teaching me how to use their systems. The company gave us really cool tours of their manufacturing floor and of a distribution center. Also we had the opportunity to sit in on Kaizen events; we even received LEAN training while we were there and it was so fun.

Cons

Sometimes employees at Blount can be very busy and will not get back to interns very quickly on an email. Still, I had the chance to use my waiting time to be proactive on my projects or learn other things from all the experts in the office.

Advice to Management

When you try to be a one-stop shop provider, your supply chain complexity gets a bit out of control. Also, it's really important to integrate new acquisitions' information systems and record important process knowledge. I would also challenge management to improve their marketing efforts of some of their fantastic and innovative products such as their battery-powered self-sharpening chainsaws.

"Blount"

Current Employee - Utility III in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Utility III in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Lots of overtime. Not much else to say really. Wish there was more to say in the pros section but there isn't.

Cons

Poor management. Unclean. Unsafe. Safety issues aren't fixed until an injury occurs. Machines poorly maintained. Employees do not work hard. Massive office politics. More is expected of hard workers. Management incites employees to spread rumors and fight.

8. "Blount International"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International (More than 3 years)

Pros

The companies leaders are aligned with the companies mission.

Cons

I haven't found any major issues.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

May 25, 2016 – Blount Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with Blount International. We continue to strive to create a respectful environment where all Team Member ... More

"Blount really is a great company."

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

I've worked here for more than 20 years, and it has been a great place to work. One of the reasons I've stayed so long is the number of smart, committed people who work here. I feel like I learn something new every day. The international aspect of the company, for its size, is fantastic. It's easy to connect with Blount employees around the world (Brazil, China, Canada, Belgium, Germany, etc.) The CEO and COO are visible and believe in what they are doing. They are accessible, and personally connect with people in every area of the company. The changes they are making are exciting, including improving Blount's use of SAP, an increased focus and commitment to management training, and building a continuous improvement culture through policy deployment. Some of the more negative reviews sound like individual experiences that are unfortunate but not the norm. There are many, many people here who are working very hard for all the right reasons. Perfect? No, but no company will be. There are a lot of people who have worked here for a very long time, and talented new people are joining the company and bringing new energy and ideas. I believe this is a great place to be for my career.

Cons

No company is perfect and change is always difficult. No doubt there are certain departments where the growing pains have been more challenging and there has been turnover. The company needs to have more women leaders in key positions (something they are working on). 2015 was a very difficult year in terms of financial performance, which makes everything more challenging. The move from public to private will cause a lot of uncertainty until that is resolved.

Advice to Management

Look for areas where the company message isn't consistent, and make the adjustment. Insist on realism and consistency at the top. Keep listening, keep communicating, recognize and reward the best and the brightest.

10. "Blount"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Blount is a great place to work

Cons

Staffing levels over the last few years has been variable.

Advice to Management

Keep on track. Continue to try to minimize production variation and impact to people.

Sep 23, 2015 – Blount Representative

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are pleased you are enjoying your employment with Blount. Keep up the good work.

"The supervisors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battle Ground, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battle Ground, WA

I have been working at Blount International (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay good benefits. Awesome gym with new equipment. Huge cafeteria with a outside vendor food service. Lots of great employees working here

Cons

The supervisors, job advancement getting points for being sick. The management don't see the hard working employees they see the lazy employees. Job uncertainty one year busy the other year lay offs

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like dirt. Respect them and they will respect you. There has to be something done about the way supervisors are towards people.

Sep 23, 2015 – Blount Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. We continue to strive to create an environment where all Team Members feel they are ... More