Blount International Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.4
Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Offered good benefits, including a profit share that went towards 401k (in 9 reviews)

• Good people to work with, on average relaxed atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is something to be said for taking care of your most important asset, people (in 3 reviews)

1. "Fnatastic company to work for with very nice coworkers; fun and nice benefits.benefits"

Current Employee - Corporate Accountant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Corporate Accountant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The various people you get to work with and in my position that's a broad cross-section. Excellent benefits. Excellent work hours: flexible. Since it's a manufacturing company "you" are actually making something. A very broad array of employment needs. Excellent and nice management.

Cons

Slow upward mobility: people like the place and tend to stay a long time. I've been there over 6 years.

Advice to Management

Create a broader spectrum of advancement opportunities.

2. "Blount cares and listens to their employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel engaged and my opinion matters. Our CEO, Josh Collins is engaged and leads with humility. I like that we are focused on continuous improvement and strive to create a cohesive global team. There is great communication within the organization. I really enjoy attending our Kaizen report outs every week and I like that these are video conferenced globally and recorded, and that all employees are invited and encouraged to attend.

Cons

I do not have anything I don't like at Blount.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with your employees and listen to our opinions. Keep the lines of communication open.

3. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

Pros

Good Company, great work life balance

Cons

Average Salary, I don't see any other constraint.

Aug 28, 2015 – Blount Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with Blount International. Keep up the great work.

4. "Blount"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Blount is a great place to work

Cons

Staffing levels over the last few years has been variable.

Advice to Management

Keep on track. Continue to try to minimize production variation and impact to people.

Sep 23, 2015 – Blount Representative

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are pleased you are enjoying your employment with Blount. Keep up the good work.

5. "Blount International"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International (More than 3 years)

Pros

The companies leaders are aligned with the companies mission.

Cons

I haven't found any major issues.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

May 25, 2016 – Blount Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with Blount International. We continue to strive to create a respectful environment where all Team Member... More

6. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody is very friendly. People answer interns' questions. Also, the office has some 3D printers. The company got me set up on their databases and were very helpful in teaching me how to use their systems. The company gave us really cool tours of their manufacturing floor and of a distribution center. Also we had the opportunity to sit in on Kaizen events; we even received LEAN training while we were there and it was so fun.

Cons

Sometimes employees at Blount can be very busy and will not get back to interns very quickly on an email. Still, I had the chance to use my waiting time to be proactive on my projects or learn other things from all the experts in the office.

Advice to Management

When you try to be a one-stop shop provider, your supply chain complexity gets a bit out of control. Also, it's really important to integrate new acquisitions' information systems and record important process knowledge. I would also challenge management to improve their marketing efforts of some of their fantastic and innovative products such as their battery-powered self-sharpening chainsaws.

"Supply Chain Intern"

Current Employee - Suppy Chain Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Suppy Chain Intern in Portland, OR

Pros

-Dynamic team to work with.
    -Lots of free Food.

Cons

No cons. Absolutely a great place to work

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Coordinator/Employee Services Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Take good care of their people. Lot's of opportunities for driven hard-working individuals. Recognize strong talent. Above average compensation.

Cons

Horizontal alignment in Manufacturing leadership is lacking, but getting better. Performance management a little on the weak side.

Advice to Management

Create a clear vision and expectations that the manufacturing team can work towards, and address those that refuse to work toward the common goal.

9. "Great company"

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

Blount is a great company that provides employees with plenty of opportunities for advancement and training. Compensation is better than most comparable descriptions.

Cons

The company is large and with that comes bureacracy. Even with the current emphasis on lean, continuous improvement, and change, there is still a culture that embraces "this is the way we've always done it" - but that's changing rapidly.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. Changing the culture takes time - it's working.

"A charater and skill building experience, so far so good."

Current Employee - Tool and Die in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Tool and Die in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and school is paid. Work with some very talented people. Can move up quickly and there are some good mentors if you are willing to be open and learn. The company is doing a lot of improvement activities to change the culture. Keep it up.

Cons

There are some not so talented, lazy people that never seen to get kicked out of here! I have seen individuals cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars and stay comfortably in there office playing on Facebood.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people actually doing the work are happy. Cut the fat! We got lots of people that do nothing around here for 20+ years