Blount International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2017

1.0
Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Offered good benefits, including a profit share that went towards 401k (in 9 reviews)

• The floor employees are actually really good people that have a better understand of life than management (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is something to be said for taking care of your most important asset, people (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blount International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was no upside to the job. There was no structure, The goal for the day was always changed dureing the day.

Cons

The company is bleeding out with temp labor. Their communication to mamgement staff is lacking. They have no foundation to build up the comapny. All their management staff was hired after they bought 3 companies and moved to a new building. They had no plan in place on how they wanted to complete a move let alone 3 new acquisitions. After 8 months into the move they still have 0 standard operating procedures and are basically winging it.

Advice to Management

To build your policies and procedures and manage your people through them.

"I was hoping for a good career move and now I just have to move."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

Job Security. Good employee discount.

Cons

Too much manditory OT with no end in sight. Managers are only concerned with end of month and end of quarter numbers and not the OT impact on emloyees. Micro managing at its best. HR issues.

Advice to Management

OT should be dropped and Headcount needs to be increased. This would save the company money and increase their capacity. A plant manager that has experience in running a big facility needs to be brought in to turn around the KC location. The currrent management does not have the knowledge or experience to get this location to the next level. Listen to the employees sugestions.

"Keep looking, this is not a place for long term growth unless your a gluten for punishment!"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, and good people below Vp level

Cons

All Management should be retrained on ethics and emotional intelligence. This company has done a terrible job in the past 12 months at hiring above the Vp level. They have hired from companies that are known for their abusive tactics to motivate (more like de-motivate/scare) employees to perform.... Large amount of talking out the side of their mouth.

Advice to Management

Remove the "Cancer" from your organization that you have recently hired and replace with Management that cares about the skilled staff. I can see a large amount of your talent "mass exiting" in a short time. Work Life balance is horrid. Worst I have ever seen in my career.

"Quality Control"

Pros

My co-workers are awesome people, the work environment is alright, I have learned so much about quality systems and lean manufacturing from this job.

Cons

Used to think I was going to retire from this job, not going to be the case now. Ever since they brought management to this branch from Portland it has done nothing but go down hill. SO MUCH OVERTIME. it's insane. The management here cares nothing about their people, and all about the bottom line. All of the little perks we used to get here are gone. We can't even get the company picnic we want. Kaizen event ideas are picked before the event even happens so anyone that isn't in the know gets no input. There are currently 7 production supervisors for a production staff of less than 200. What the heck for? Supervisors pass the buck constantly, going to them for anything is basically useless. You never see HR either. The paint line uses chemicals that cause cancer and nobody cares, the ventilation is insufficient. There has been a culture of atrophy created here, supervisors don't care so employees don't care. Can't even get my direct supervisor to answer my emails half the time. If you miss work 4 times in a year you can't get a raise. Management survey results have been consistently low for years and they don't care about that either, if anything they double down on the crazy. Currently they are trying to get double the production out of half the staff. Don't apply here.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that you're "all about your people" cause you're obviously not.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are good people at the company who truly want to make it a better place and to do a great job.

Cons

Rampant nepotism. Also, high level management promotes 'yes men' and their friends, and not the people who are best for the position. There is also bullying by managers to get what they want from lower level employees. The environment is toxic.

Advice to Management

Clean house. You say you believe in people, but you don't. You allow managers to act unscrupulously towards others.

6. "Worst Job I've Had"

I have been working at Blount International (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. I get a paycheck.

Cons

I would give it one star if I could. Incompetent leaders, misguided employees, no loyalty. Cheap company team events, no direction to where this company is headed in the future, every day wondering if it will be your last.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending everything is okay

"Machine Operator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Portland, OR

Pros

This company bought out my old company Carlton Company and held onto it's employees for 5 years or until a clause ran out of the old owner's will and then proceeded to lay off 200 employees. I will say that this company has some nice people that work there and gave us a severance pay (only good thing about this company).

Cons

This Blount International had expectations that were unreal and made existing employees miserable to the point of quitting. I survived this and am thankful I did not make the move to it's old plant and was laid off. The IT people hired to see if we were doing as much work load as we could, should of been on the floor to run the machines that they thought we ran so bad. I would never work for a plant that has no regard for employees that work for them.

Advice to Management

I don't think your weekly meetings will improve your company's bottom line and can't wait for your company to sink.

"Highly disrespectful interview by an inexperienced, arrogant HR un-professional"

Pros

None that I know of.

Cons

Had an interview with an extremely inexperienced HR person, I have never been so disrespected by an HR department in my career. This person could not even describe the job nor could they articulate the questions or hold a reasonable conversation.

Advice to Management

I like the products you produce, however if the inexperience in your HR department is an indication how this company is being run, I do not want to be a part of it. Just wanted to let others in the job market know what they have to look forward to!!!

9. "No motivation"

Current Employee - Welder in Oregon, IL
    Current Employee - Welder in Oregon, IL

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your paycheck will not bounce. The insurance isn't horrible. The floor employees are actually really good people that have a better understand of life than management.

Cons

There is no need for motivation here. It won't matter how good or bad you are you'll get and keep a job. They have no advancement in position or pay no matter how much you learn. They do not believe their employees should be able to work 40 hrs and survive.

Advice to Management

Listen actually listen to your employees. While I understand there are a lot of unmotivated people management deals with daily, it does not benefit employees to learn more just to work more. Some of us would like a life outside of work a family.

10. "Worst place to work"

I worked at Blount International full-time

Pros

Offers some flexible time although that changes any moment.

Cons

No recognition of hard work. Boy's club. Poor HR. Worst IT department ran by military background leaders with similar approach.