Blount International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Pros
  • Good benefits and education policies (in 8 reviews)

• Good people to work with, on average relaxed atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is something to be said for taking care of your most important asset, people (in 3 reviews)

• Old Boy style progression of employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blount International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was no upside to the job. There was no structure, The goal for the day was always changed dureing the day.

Cons

The company is bleeding out with temp labor. Their communication to mamgement staff is lacking. They have no foundation to build up the comapny. All their management staff was hired after they bought 3 companies and moved to a new building. They had no plan in place on how they wanted to complete a move let alone 3 new acquisitions. After 8 months into the move they still have 0 standard operating procedures and are basically winging it.

Advice to Management

To build your policies and procedures and manage your people through them.

"I was hoping for a good career move and now I just have to move."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

Job Security. Good employee discount.

Cons

Too much manditory OT with no end in sight. Managers are only concerned with end of month and end of quarter numbers and not the OT impact on emloyees. Micro managing at its best. HR issues.

Advice to Management

OT should be dropped and Headcount needs to be increased. This would save the company money and increase their capacity. A plant manager that has experience in running a big facility needs to be brought in to turn around the KC location. The currrent management does not have the knowledge or experience to get this location to the next level. Listen to the employees sugestions.

"Keep looking, this is not a place for long term growth unless your a gluten for punishment!"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, and good people below Vp level

Cons

All Management should be retrained on ethics and emotional intelligence. This company has done a terrible job in the past 12 months at hiring above the Vp level. They have hired from companies that are known for their abusive tactics to motivate (more like de-motivate/scare) employees to perform.... Large amount of talking out the side of their mouth.

Advice to Management

Remove the "Cancer" from your organization that you have recently hired and replace with Management that cares about the skilled staff. I can see a large amount of your talent "mass exiting" in a short time. Work Life balance is horrid. Worst I have ever seen in my career.

"Quality Control"

Pros

My co-workers are awesome people, the work environment is alright, I have learned so much about quality systems and lean manufacturing from this job.

Cons

Used to think I was going to retire from this job, not going to be the case now. Ever since they brought management to this branch from Portland it has done nothing but go down hill. SO MUCH OVERTIME. it's insane. The management here cares nothing about their people, and all about the bottom line. All of the little perks we used to get here are gone. We can't even get the company picnic we want. Kaizen event ideas are picked before the event even happens so anyone that isn't in the know gets no input. There are currently 7 production supervisors for a production staff of less than 200. What the heck for? Supervisors pass the buck constantly, going to them for anything is basically useless. You never see HR either. The paint line uses chemicals that cause cancer and nobody cares, the ventilation is insufficient. There has been a culture of atrophy created here, supervisors don't care so employees don't care. Can't even get my direct supervisor to answer my emails half the time. If you miss work 4 times in a year you can't get a raise. Management survey results have been consistently low for years and they don't care about that either, if anything they double down on the crazy. Currently they are trying to get double the production out of half the staff. Don't apply here.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that you're "all about your people" cause you're obviously not.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are good people at the company who truly want to make it a better place and to do a great job.

Cons

Rampant nepotism. Also, high level management promotes 'yes men' and their friends, and not the people who are best for the position. There is also bullying by managers to get what they want from lower level employees. The environment is toxic.

Advice to Management

Clean house. You say you believe in people, but you don't. You allow managers to act unscrupulously towards others.

7. "Worst Job I've Had"

I have been working at Blount International (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. I get a paycheck.

Cons

I would give it one star if I could. Incompetent leaders, misguided employees, no loyalty. Cheap company team events, no direction to where this company is headed in the future, every day wondering if it will be your last.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending everything is okay

"Somewhere to get a paycheck"

Pros

The salaries are decent and the health benefits are good so those are good points.
    There are chances to move around and up for some people.
    They are one of the few companies that still offer employee events like a company picnic and Children's Santa Party.

Cons

The company is very old school (think 1950s) in its approach to structure and the management of people.
    Over the years (I was there 13+) I saw the morale head down fast, and now most people are only showing up to get a paycheck.
    Communication between management and the general workforce is poor at best, and the main source of information is gossip.
    There is a strong atmosphere of politics and it truly matters who you know, more than what you know when trying to gain a new position. Sadly this has allowed a significant amount of nepotism into the workforce which only further drives down the morale.
    There is little meaningful employee feedback or resolution of known personnel issues by management, this leads to a general mistrust of both leadership and fellow co-workers making for a very eat or be eaten environment.

Advice to Management

There needs to be stronger decision making skills at all levels of the company from the top to the bottom. When there are far more meetings than decisions made from those meetings an environment of ineffectiveness sets in and this is what has happened over the years. During my employment there I attended no less than 6 group meetings about the same problem, lots of conversation and even some flow charts and instructions to resolve the matter resulted. This was followed by management (on several levels) deciding something different or not requiring jobs to be done only to have another meeting to figure out what the problem was all over again, and I know there has been at least one more set of meetings on the same topic since I left. Make a decision and move forward with it having purpose in your movements, if you find out it is wrong later admit the shortcoming resolve to a new approach and follow it.
    Also there needs to be better communication at all levels of the company, the rumor-mill should not be the primary form of communicating what is going on to the masses.

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Blount International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good benefits. There are some good people working there who are loyal to the company but are very upset with the direction that management is taking the company.

Cons

Company is top heavy with multi layers of VP's, managers, and supervisors. Marketing and engineering are full of do-nothing, rude people who have no experience in the forestry industry. Engineering, marketing, and sales used to be staffed with knowledgeable people who was brought up through the ranks in the company. They are the people who grew this company and got them where they are today. Now it is filled with people who know nothing about the industry, continuously play political games and care nothing about other people. Blount is understaffed in areas where there are bottlenecks but continue to ignore this in favor of adding managers and supervisors in areas where they are not needed and slow progress.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Trim the marketing and product engineering departments and get back to work. Reduce the amount of endless, non-productive meetings and get rid of anyone without prior experience in the forestry industry. Managers do not listen to the people who made the company what it is. Focus on the core product and sell off all of the companies that are draining profits. Promote from within....take a hard look at who is performing and who is draining the company of resources and stalling progress. Communicate with employees....you could learn a lot.

"Not a good experience."

Current Employee - Maintenance Machinist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Maintenance Machinist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay pretty good money for maintenance personnel. and benefits aren't bad.

Cons

They just shut down another plant in the area and over 200 people just got laid off. I am in chain maintenance and i am one of the layoffs.

Advice to Management

Dont make promises you cant keep.

"My experience here has been demanding, confusing, and unfruitful after two years of service."

Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your base pay gets bumped up pretty quickly after your first year, and the overtime is abundant. Their 401k is unlike any other company I have been with. They have excellent benefits and good people to work with.

Cons

1. You top out pretty quickly here. There are individuals here who haven't received any raises for over a decade. After year one, you are stuck in your pay grade.
    2. Policies change without notice here.
    3. The turnover ratio here is high.
    4. Associates are not held accountable in their actions at all in there work. If you can get away with just doing a little, then you can.

Advice to Management

I have spoken with associates from Blounts' all across the US and have heard great things. Here in Kansas City they remind us of our P4 beliefs and ethics, but falls flat on action.