Blount International Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Pros
  • Offered good benefits, including a profit share that went towards 401k (in 9 reviews)

• Good people to work with, on average relaxed atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is something to be said for taking care of your most important asset, people (in 3 reviews)

• Old Boy style progression of employees (in 3 reviews)

"I was hoping for a good career move and now I just have to move."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

Job Security. Good employee discount.

Cons

Too much manditory OT with no end in sight. Managers are only concerned with end of month and end of quarter numbers and not the OT impact on emloyees. Micro managing at its best. HR issues.

Advice to Management

OT should be dropped and Headcount needs to be increased. This would save the company money and increase their capacity. A plant manager that has experience in running a big facility needs to be brought in to turn around the KC location. The currrent management does not have the knowledge or experience to get this location to the next level. Listen to the employees sugestions.

"Keep looking, this is not a place for long term growth unless your a gluten for punishment!"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, and good people below Vp level

Cons

All Management should be retrained on ethics and emotional intelligence. This company has done a terrible job in the past 12 months at hiring above the Vp level. They have hired from companies that are known for their abusive tactics to motivate (more like de-motivate/scare) employees to perform.... Large amount of talking out the side of their mouth.

Advice to Management

Remove the "Cancer" from your organization that you have recently hired and replace with Management that cares about the skilled staff. I can see a large amount of your talent "mass exiting" in a short time. Work Life balance is horrid. Worst I have ever seen in my career.

"Quality Control"

Pros

My co-workers are awesome people, the work environment is alright, I have learned so much about quality systems and lean manufacturing from this job.

Cons

Used to think I was going to retire from this job, not going to be the case now. Ever since they brought management to this branch from Portland it has done nothing but go down hill. SO MUCH OVERTIME. it's insane. The management here cares nothing about their people, and all about the bottom line. All of the little perks we used to get here are gone. We can't even get the company picnic we want. Kaizen event ideas are picked before the event even happens so anyone that isn't in the know gets no input. There are currently 7 production supervisors for a production staff of less than 200. What the heck for? Supervisors pass the buck constantly, going to them for anything is basically useless. You never see HR either. The paint line uses chemicals that cause cancer and nobody cares, the ventilation is insufficient. There has been a culture of atrophy created here, supervisors don't care so employees don't care. Can't even get my direct supervisor to answer my emails half the time. If you miss work 4 times in a year you can't get a raise. Management survey results have been consistently low for years and they don't care about that either, if anything they double down on the crazy. Currently they are trying to get double the production out of half the staff. Don't apply here.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that you're "all about your people" cause you're obviously not.

5. "Worst Job I've Had"

I have been working at Blount International (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. I get a paycheck.

Cons

I would give it one star if I could. Incompetent leaders, misguided employees, no loyalty. Cheap company team events, no direction to where this company is headed in the future, every day wondering if it will be your last.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending everything is okay

"Not a good experience."

Current Employee - Maintenance Machinist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Maintenance Machinist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay pretty good money for maintenance personnel. and benefits aren't bad.

Cons

They just shut down another plant in the area and over 200 people just got laid off. I am in chain maintenance and i am one of the layoffs.

Advice to Management

Dont make promises you cant keep.

"My experience here has been demanding, confusing, and unfruitful after two years of service."

Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your base pay gets bumped up pretty quickly after your first year, and the overtime is abundant. Their 401k is unlike any other company I have been with. They have excellent benefits and good people to work with.

Cons

1. You top out pretty quickly here. There are individuals here who haven't received any raises for over a decade. After year one, you are stuck in your pay grade.
    2. Policies change without notice here.
    3. The turnover ratio here is high.
    4. Associates are not held accountable in their actions at all in there work. If you can get away with just doing a little, then you can.

Advice to Management

I have spoken with associates from Blounts' all across the US and have heard great things. Here in Kansas City they remind us of our P4 beliefs and ethics, but falls flat on action.

"Blount"

Current Employee - Utility III in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Utility III in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Lots of overtime. Not much else to say really. Wish there was more to say in the pros section but there isn't.

Cons

Poor management. Unclean. Unsafe. Safety issues aren't fixed until an injury occurs. Machines poorly maintained. Employees do not work hard. Massive office politics. More is expected of hard workers. Management incites employees to spread rumors and fight.

"Don't like the environment"

Pros

They offer good benefits. They have employee events, like Ice Cream Wednesdays, costs 0.75 per scoop, and yearly picnics and other things like that.

Cons

No bonus plans. I have never met more rude people at the manager level and above since I started with this company. Everyone is waiting to stab someone in the back. I haven't worked here long, and don't intend to for much longer.

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging the atmosphere of politics.

10. "it was wonderful until we bought companies and decided to move. NOW no one knows what the hell is going on. T"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

Pros

was wonderful before the move. pay ok

Cons

you won't get promoted for hard work. if you can plant your lips on someones ass then it might happen

Advice to Management

your workers make you or break you. and now you are broke

"A great place to work, in an old school manufacturing company."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Feels like a family at work, people really dive into the work, great company in the Pacific NW, with a great reputation.
    - Great experience
    - Josh Collins is a great asset to the company along with most of his senior leadership team.

Cons

- Old Boy style progression of employees
    - The product amount to limited growth in a commodity market, and efforts to break into to new segments has been lackluster. Efforts to grow through acquisitions have been hit or miss.

Advice to Management

- Think long term, and look for competitive strategies regarding investment in manufacturing excellence. Management is too focused on short term solutions, and the progressive managers are ostracized, and isolated.
    - This company has so much potential to be truly world class in a lot of aspects, but needs world class talent in the middle ranks.