Blount International Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Pros
  • Offered good benefits, including a profit share that went towards 401k (in 9 reviews)

• Good people to work with, on average relaxed atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is something to be said for taking care of your most important asset, people (in 3 reviews)

• Old Boy style progression of employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Coordinator/Employee Services Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Take good care of their people. Lot's of opportunities for driven hard-working individuals. Recognize strong talent. Above average compensation.

Cons

Horizontal alignment in Manufacturing leadership is lacking, but getting better. Performance management a little on the weak side.

Advice to Management

Create a clear vision and expectations that the manufacturing team can work towards, and address those that refuse to work toward the common goal.

2. "little mobility ok benefits"

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International (More than a year)

Pros

decent benefits, but they rarely let you use them

Cons

difficult to get to get promoted or get a raise

Advice to Management

say thank you every once and a while to the people who really built your company

3. "Great people, but the company is changing"

Pros

Long history, developed processes, experienced and dedicated people, good benefits, excellent training

Cons

The company culture and benefits have been changing the past several years

"Blount"

Pros

It's a very diverse group

Cons

Not very stable at the moment

Advice to Management

None

"Supply Chain Intern"

Current Employee - Suppy Chain Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Suppy Chain Intern in Portland, OR

Pros

-Dynamic team to work with.
    -Lots of free Food.

Cons

No cons. Absolutely a great place to work

7. "Overall Working experience"

Current Contractor - SAP Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - SAP Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International as a contractor

Pros

nice place and well-being at work, nice mates

Cons

no meetings with Management being contractors, once in a while would be good.

Advice to Management

keep in touch with contractors as well

8. "Worst Job I've Had"

I have been working at Blount International (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. I get a paycheck.

Cons

I would give it one star if I could. Incompetent leaders, misguided employees, no loyalty. Cheap company team events, no direction to where this company is headed in the future, every day wondering if it will be your last.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending everything is okay

"Blount"

Current Employee - Utility III in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Utility III in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Lots of overtime. Not much else to say really. Wish there was more to say in the pros section but there isn't.

Cons

Poor management. Unclean. Unsafe. Safety issues aren't fixed until an injury occurs. Machines poorly maintained. Employees do not work hard. Massive office politics. More is expected of hard workers. Management incites employees to spread rumors and fight.

10. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody is very friendly. People answer interns' questions. Also, the office has some 3D printers. The company got me set up on their databases and were very helpful in teaching me how to use their systems. The company gave us really cool tours of their manufacturing floor and of a distribution center. Also we had the opportunity to sit in on Kaizen events; we even received LEAN training while we were there and it was so fun.

Cons

Sometimes employees at Blount can be very busy and will not get back to interns very quickly on an email. Still, I had the chance to use my waiting time to be proactive on my projects or learn other things from all the experts in the office.

Advice to Management

When you try to be a one-stop shop provider, your supply chain complexity gets a bit out of control. Also, it's really important to integrate new acquisitions' information systems and record important process knowledge. I would also challenge management to improve their marketing efforts of some of their fantastic and innovative products such as their battery-powered self-sharpening chainsaws.

"Quality Control"

Pros

My co-workers are awesome people, the work environment is alright, I have learned so much about quality systems and lean manufacturing from this job.

Cons

Used to think I was going to retire from this job, not going to be the case now. Ever since they brought management to this branch from Portland it has done nothing but go down hill. SO MUCH OVERTIME. it's insane. The management here cares nothing about their people, and all about the bottom line. All of the little perks we used to get here are gone. We can't even get the company picnic we want. Kaizen event ideas are picked before the event even happens so anyone that isn't in the know gets no input. There are currently 7 production supervisors for a production staff of less than 200. What the heck for? Supervisors pass the buck constantly, going to them for anything is basically useless. You never see HR either. The paint line uses chemicals that cause cancer and nobody cares, the ventilation is insufficient. There has been a culture of atrophy created here, supervisors don't care so employees don't care. Can't even get my direct supervisor to answer my emails half the time. If you miss work 4 times in a year you can't get a raise. Management survey results have been consistently low for years and they don't care about that either, if anything they double down on the crazy. Currently they are trying to get double the production out of half the staff. Don't apply here.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that you're "all about your people" cause you're obviously not.