Blount Memorial Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blount Memorial Hospital CEO Don Heinemann
Don Heinemann

1. "Patient Care Transition Coordinator"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with and the patients I cared for.

Cons

Administration very political and not very supportive of nursing staff.

2. "Patient access"

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Maryville, TN

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros loved it until Blount Memorial Hospital took over was ETMG they don't check into complaints of employees being bullied

Cons

Very unfair place never thinks of employee lets supervisors site cordinater treat you bad unprofessional

Advice to Management

Need to look into some of the office managers harassment if wants to get rid of employees

3. "Great learning experience as a new nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hospital is close to home in a small community. Fairly personable staff. You get to know people and work as a team.

Cons

Some days are stressful when staffing issues arise. It's difficult to take extra patients in your team unexpectedly. Team leaders (depending on work ethic) may not be helpful.

Advice to Management

Be more hands on instead of sending emails to relay messages

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful employees, amazing nursing staff, approachable physicians. There are some incredibly knowledgeable nurses and a recent change has appointed team lead positions which is so helpful to registered nurses. I think this is a great, great hospital for new graduates!

Cons

Patient load runs between 5-8 at times. However, this is better than some surrounding hospitals. They have a stringent policy regarding being late, but really that is understandable.

Advice to Management

Management is actually pretty good. As in most atmospheres, I do feel that the upper level management has a real disconnect from the reality of what life on the floor is like. In the most respectful manner I could say this in, I think all members of management should have to spend one week a year following nursing staff. Anyone who is involved in making policy and rules regarding patient care needs to see what the staff really endures. A day is not going to yield a real understanding of what a nurse goes through, several days a year should be spent with staff.

"RN"

Former Employee - RN In the Icu in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - RN In the Icu in Maryville, TN

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

8 hour shifts, excellent staff to work with.

Cons

Poor management, staff shortage making for dangerous patient conditions

Advice to Management

Hire more nurses and promote nurses to management

"Ups and Downs over the years"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Hermitage, TN
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Hermitage, TN

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Blount Memorial Hospital has a very friendly staff.

Cons

Declining quality of Employee Benefits
    Increasing cost of Benefits
    Wages are not competitive

"Small town feel"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here because it's a small town feel. You know everyone and everyone knows you. You always notice a new face! I love my hours and benefits! The health insurance is awesome! About $100 a month or so for just me. The PTO is great too!

Cons

I get sick often working here. The place is pretty clean but germs are everywhere!

"RN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN

Pros

A paycheck; some of the patients actually appreciate your efforts.

Cons

MICRO MICRO managed by every manager regarding EVERY thing and EVERY decision you make; absolutely NO autonomy. Thinking for yourself or expressing opinions or asking questions will get you fired.

Advice to Management

Step back and trust your employees to do an awesome job for the patients NOT because they are intimidated through fear of losing their job, but because of their love for their patients. Spend more time administering to and managing the hospital, not its employees. Maybe then you could retain nurses longer than 6 months.

"A smaller community hospital with a big heart but small budget."

Current Employee - RN Critical Care in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - RN Critical Care in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with and the whole culture of the area. Being in a smaller hospital has the advantage of not being part of some big conglomerate monster. People stay there to work because they consider themselves serving their community, their friends and treat patients like family, especially when a patient dies in the ICU setting. I like being a part of that.

Cons

Because the hospital is smaller, it has had to succumb to the budgeting idea of "productivity" staffing...like we're working in a factory instead of trying to treat patients and sometimes save human life, alleviate suffering. It's the same "con" of all hospitals now a days. I also believe the pay structure is way below the national average and that's not appropriate nor fair to those of us in the specialty areas in particular.

Advice to Management

Try to be more creative in the budgeting aspect of staffing. We are a community hospital founded and financed by people in the community originally. We should be better that the conglomerate "cut out/sellout' hospitals. Find the means to pay your people what they're worth, staff all the floors with the amount of staff you would want your own family to be happy and safe with. Put the "productivity" budgeting tool in the garbage where it belongs and challenge yourself to find the resources necessary for Blount Memorial to be an exceptional caregiver of the community, a place where people from all over will want to come to when sick and where everyone working there will be content with the working environment and feel appreciated for their contribution.

"I have worked there over 3 years"

Current Employee - Medical Office Associate in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Office Associate in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The doctors are generally nice. The location is closer to my home. The hospital will cover any labs drawn there. Free flu shots. For the most part they are alot of hard working people. They are a teaching hospital.

Cons

You get strikes for using sick time, you get NO overtime no matter the reason, no paid holidays, no Christamas bonus, You get 5hrs. per pay period /2 weeks for vacation this does not increase for 5 years. You are only given a 2% raise and insurance has increased 4-5% per year. I am curently making less bring home money now than when I started. They own several other healthcare such as all the nursing homes, ETMG, as well as all the Doctors offices in the hospital. So the small town hospital is all false. They keep purchasing businesses while telling their employees they do not have the funds to give a raise or a bonus. You also do not have opportunity to advance unless you are "Chosen" no chance to bid.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Give incentives for ideas, or goals that are reached.