Blount Memorial Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Blount Memorial Hospital CEO Don Heinemann
Don Heinemann

"Solid company"

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Excellent community hospital. Good nursing staff.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for career growth.

Blount Memorial Hospital2017-02-05
  2. "Great learning experience as a new nurse"

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hospital is close to home in a small community. Fairly personable staff. You get to know people and work as a team.

Cons

Some days are stressful when staffing issues arise. It's difficult to take extra patients in your team unexpectedly. Team leaders (depending on work ethic) may not be helpful.

Advice to Management

Be more hands on instead of sending emails to relay messages

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-11-19
  3. "Great specialty floors"

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital

Pros

Most of the people you work with are very supportive and communicate well to give patients the best care we can.

Cons

There is often not enough staff for the patient load and there is a high focus on patient satisfaction while cutting staff and supplies that would help patient response time and satisfaction scores.

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of all you staff and offer them support if they seem to be struggling instead of starting out accusatory. Discussions for improving time management are for after the patient concern has been taken care of.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-07-09
  4. "Good Compensation... Ask about manager before accepting position"

Former Employee - RN Nightshift

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best paying in the Knoxville area. Great opportunities for Bonus pay, OT, etc. Community owned (not a covenant facility). Great place to learn and get experience. Great feeling of comradery on nights on nearly every unit.

Cons

Depends on management. Some managers are AMAZING, some not so much. Staffing ratios on nights can be as bad as 8:1. Can only wear Navy scrubs as RNs.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Don't just have high expectations for night shift when they hand off report. Same expectations should be kept for 7pm when day shift hands off report as well.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-07-02

"Registered Nurse"

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful employees, amazing nursing staff, approachable physicians. There are some incredibly knowledgeable nurses and a recent change has appointed team lead positions which is so helpful to registered nurses. I think this is a great, great hospital for new graduates!

Cons

Patient load runs between 5-8 at times. However, this is better than some surrounding hospitals. They have a stringent policy regarding being late, but really that is understandable.

Advice to Management

Management is actually pretty good. As in most atmospheres, I do feel that the upper level management has a real disconnect from the reality of what life on the floor is like. In the most respectful manner I could say this in, I think all members of management should have to spend one week a year following nursing staff. Anyone who is involved in making policy and rules regarding patient care needs to see what the... staff really endures. A day is not going to yield a real understanding of what a nurse goes through, several days a year should be spent with staff.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-03-31

"Good place to start out"

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Friendly people, reasonable funding for projects.

Cons

Pay rate is lower than the field average so turnover tends to be pretty high.

Advice to Management

Compensate your consistently performing employees at an industry standard rate or higher.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-01-14

"Small town feel"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working here because it's a small town feel. You know everyone and everyone knows you. You always notice a new face! I love my hours and benefits! The health insurance is awesome! About $100 a month or so for just me. The PTO is great too!

Cons

I get sick often working here. The place is pretty clean but germs are everywhere!

Blount Memorial Hospital2015-11-25

"Some days it's hard to stay at work, some days it's great."

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital

Pros

Good pay, diverse population to work with, fast paced

Cons

Supervisor gossips and don't stand behind her staff when they need her to.

Advice to Management

Don't penalize employees when they try to tell you about problems. Sometimes a supervisor really does need to take a class in conflict resolution or get a therapist to work through their issues.

Blount Memorial Hospital2015-09-10

"A smaller community hospital with a big heart but small budget."

Current Employee - RN Critical Care in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with and the whole culture of the area. Being in a smaller hospital has the advantage of not being part of some big conglomerate monster. People stay there to work because they consider themselves serving their community, their friends and treat patients like family, especially when a patient dies in the ICU setting. I like being a part of that.

Cons

Because the hospital is smaller, it has had to succumb to the budgeting idea of "productivity" staffing...like we're working in a factory instead of trying to treat patients and sometimes save human life, alleviate suffering. It's the same "con" of all hospitals now a days. I also believe the pay structure is way below the national average and that's not appropriate nor fair to those of us in the specialty areas in... particular.

Advice to Management

Try to be more creative in the budgeting aspect of staffing. We are a community hospital founded and financed by people in the community originally. We should be better that the conglomerate "cut out/sellout' hospitals. Find the means to pay your people what they're worth, staff all the floors with the amount of staff you would want your own family to be happy and safe with. Put the "productivity" budgeting tool in... the garbage where it belongs and challenge yourself to find the resources necessary for Blount Memorial to be an exceptional caregiver of the community, a place where people from all over will want to come to when sick and where everyone working there will be content with the working environment and feel appreciated for their contribution.

Blount Memorial Hospital2014-11-19

"Very friendly people throughout the hospital"

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits (health insurance, PTO) are pretty good, not too expensive. Starting pay is $2 more an hour for RNs from what I hear from other nurses at other hospitals. Everyone says hello, etc., even the doctors! They do offer lots of extra training and certifications, which you are paid for. The nurse/patient ratio is great, especially compared to other hospitals.

Cons

Small town, everyone is cousins. It also means everyone knows everyone else's business. My advice: keep your personal life at home, don't bring it to work. Otherwise, great place to work.

Advice to Management

Please seriously consider complaints/suggestions by employees.

Blount Memorial Hospital2014-06-26