Blount Memorial Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 59 reviews

2.7
Blount Memorial Hospital CEO Don Heinemann
Don Heinemann
  1. "Great learning experience as a new nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hospital is close to home in a small community. Fairly personable staff. You get to know people and work as a team.

Cons

Some days are stressful when staffing issues arise. It's difficult to take extra patients in your team unexpectedly. Team leaders (depending on work ethic) may not be helpful.

Advice to Management

Be more hands on instead of sending emails to relay messages

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-11-19
  2. "Great specialty floors"

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital

Pros

Most of the people you work with are very supportive and communicate well to give patients the best care we can.

Cons

There is often not enough staff for the patient load and there is a high focus on patient satisfaction while cutting staff and supplies that would help patient response time and satisfaction scores.

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of all you staff and offer them support if they seem to be struggling instead of starting out accusatory. Discussions for improving time management are for after the patient concern has been taken care of.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-07-09
  3. "Good Compensation... Ask about manager before accepting position"

Former Employee - RN Nightshift

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best paying in the Knoxville area. Great opportunities for Bonus pay, OT, etc. Community owned (not a covenant facility). Great place to learn and get experience. Great feeling of comradery on nights on nearly every unit.

Cons

Depends on management. Some managers are AMAZING, some not so much. Staffing ratios on nights can be as bad as 8:1. Can only wear Navy scrubs as RNs.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Don't just have high expectations for night shift when they hand off report. Same expectations should be kept for 7pm when day shift hands off report as well.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-07-02

"Not a bad place to work."

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Most all of the employees are friendly and easy to work with. The pay is comparable to other hospitals in the area. Benefits are good. Free parking, I know that's not a big deal at Blount but I also know there are some hospitals that actually charge employees to park. No union. Most of the department managers are good and easy to work for.

Cons

The high price of food, even with the employee discount. Some emloyees regularly park in the vistor parking area and security does nothing about it. Most of administration (not all) sits in their ivory tower and know very little of their employees without which administration would not exist.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting progress, get rid of the paper files which we no longer need. Advice to administration. Come out of your ivory tower on occasion, talk to your empployees, see how they're doing that day. Without them you would not have a job.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-05-09

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful employees, amazing nursing staff, approachable physicians. There are some incredibly knowledgeable nurses and a recent change has appointed team lead positions which is so helpful to registered nurses. I think this is a great, great hospital for new graduates!

Cons

Patient load runs between 5-8 at times. However, this is better than some surrounding hospitals. They have a stringent policy regarding being late, but really that is understandable.

Advice to Management

Management is actually pretty good. As in most atmospheres, I do feel that the upper level management has a real disconnect from the reality of what life on the floor is like. In the most respectful manner I could say this in, I think all members of management should have to spend one week a year following nursing staff. Anyone who is involved in making policy and rules regarding patient care needs to see what the staff...

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-03-31

"RN"

Former Employee - RN In the Icu in Maryville, TN

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital for more than a year

Pros

8 hour shifts, excellent staff to work with.

Cons

Poor management, staff shortage making for dangerous patient conditions

Advice to Management

Hire more nurses and promote nurses to management

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-03-12

"Good place to start out"

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Friendly people, reasonable funding for projects.

Cons

Pay rate is lower than the field average so turnover tends to be pretty high.

Advice to Management

Compensate your consistently performing employees at an industry standard rate or higher.

Blount Memorial Hospital2016-01-14

"BMH-poor morale, workload"

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Some areas of the hospital are very efficient and the employees work well together. The benefits and pay are decent.

Cons

Morale is low, some of the floors are miserable to work on. The workload is nearly impossible and the staff is rude.

Blount Memorial Hospital2015-12-09

"Ups and Downs over the years"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Hermitage, TN

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Blount Memorial Hospital has a very friendly staff.

Cons

Declining quality of Employee Benefits Increasing cost of Benefits Wages are not competitive

Blount Memorial Hospital2015-12-02

"Small town feel"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working here because it's a small town feel. You know everyone and everyone knows you. You always notice a new face! I love my hours and benefits! The health insurance is awesome! About $100 a month or so for just me. The PTO is great too!

Cons

I get sick often working here. The place is pretty clean but germs are everywhere!

Blount Memorial Hospital2015-11-25